For SSL certificate setup to be an official Emby Wiki

afullmark

larsonDigital

Hi Luke,  thanks again for all your help on this!  I was able to successfully change the port numbers used and everything seems to be working both locally and remotely.  Interesting thing though I didn't expect.  After making the change, my thumbnail/picture for My Media Library "Music" disappeared (see attached).  It use to be a collage of album covers and now it's just blank.  Does that make any sense from just changing the port numbers?  Does I need to refresh something, or just wait for it to come back?  :huh:

Thanks again Luke!

James

larsonDigital

It now has a new one!  It must have refreshed sometime last night.  Do those Media Library thumbnail pics refresh/change periodically?

• 8 months later...
redaktorn

Hi Luke,

Could it be possible to make it easier for us users of Emby Server and build in support for Let's encrypt?

A function that automatically download and update the certificate (which otherwise will expire in 90 days).

This feature is available in many Routers but it does not solve the problem.

Because there is no way to make a "path" pointing to where Router stores the file with certificate.

Greggers

I first suggested this here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54586-security-101-secure-connections/page-9&do=findComment&comment=572225

Could a complete guide to how to setup SSL with the emby server (Window, Mac...) be in the official wiki; it's all a bit fragmented currently and, I'm sure, quite off putting for non-technical folk moving from, say, plex – where SSL is all taken care of. There are probably a hundred and one methods, but if the wiki could focus on the recommended or preferred version that emby thinks best. 

Plus, it would make any solution slightly more official and give peace of mind, as opposed to finding a solution via the forums. 

This would need to be step-by-step with visual aids also. And address points (how-tos) for renewing SSL certificates etc. 

Yep, I still do believe that emby should fold all this SSL business into Emby Connect, and including the fee into the premium membership or as an add-on. I love the flexibility of emby but have never really moved over from plex because of the ease-of-use factor.  

Good idea, I found it fairly straightforward but I didn't get bogged down with Letsenrypt, I'm sure it's probably not too difficult but I just bought a domain and added on an SSL cert for about £2 and all sorted!

fachizel90

If anyone is interested in using letsencrypt as a docker this guide is very useful. For emby the last few steps are different but can be found in the sample .conf files.

I am using the duckdns docker container with it and have a few free subdomains. Works fine.

Edited by fachizel90

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
hugo0814

I've been following this tutorial "Let's Encrypt, Emby Server, and Windows", except I skipped Step 4.8-4.13 because I think Emby Server can handle PFX files with passwords now (please correct me if I'm wrong).  I used a subdomain of my main domain, created a new "website" for it in IIS Manager called "Emby," created another Let's Encrypt SSL Certificate via CertifyTheWeb app, and plugged the resulting file/info into Emby Server.

External Domain: media.<mydomain>.com
SSL Certificate Path: <...>\SSLcertEmby.pfx
Password: <PFX file password>
Secure Connection: Required for all remote connections

I restarted the Emby Server and the Dashboard reports Remote (WAN) access: https://media.<mydomain>.com:8920/. Everything seemed to go well, but I can't access the site.  Can you think of anything I might have missed?

Just have to say THANK YOU, sir! That link you provided finally ended hours upon hours of tries to get this to work. Now I finally got everything to work. Thanks again.

larsonDigital

Just have to say THANK YOU, sir! That link you provided finally ended hours upon hours of tries to get this to work. Now I finally got everything to work. Thanks again.

Thank you for letting me know; always good to know when something helps somebody.   :)

• 1 month later...
mcoyle76

@@larsonDigital when you setup the cert, and everything up on your windows server, do you have to have a static IP from your ISP?

or anyone can answer this.

Edited by mcoyle76

denz

This is how I went about it got a free domain name from here Securepoint DynDNS then there was a sale few weeks someone posted about the sale from ssls. Then you have to download a file to prove that it is your domain so downloaded a python web server copied the file that they wanted few minutes later it was authenticated and got my ssl certificate then had to import it into windows mmc certificate authority and then export it and let emby know the location and then close 8096 port and close port 80 and open 8920.

Edited by denz