Roku Beta app - Cant play 4k properly

vaise

vaise

Im on latest beta server and latest beta roku. 

Im using a Roku Streaming Stick plus (4k capable), set to 4k, and the TV shows 4K input from its HDMI.

I got a new 75" 4K HDR TV.

Got some 4k and 4k HDR video to test it out.

Works all fine from the attached USB drive

Added new TVShows-4K and Movies-4K emby libraries and the content accordingly.

Roku beta app has green lines across the top and big load of green fuzz when show starts.

Emby console says 'Direct Streaming'

Randomly, the roku crashes and restarts also.

I have settings set at UHD/80Mbps.

Note for reference

Blue neon is playing fine on Auto does a transcode for the audio only I believe

Blue neon night forced direct gets video but no sound

No crashes, no green lines when done on BNN.

In all cases, the TV says it is 4K input so the video is fine.

I just want the Roku beta to work the same as the BNN.

Attaching the log from the roku - remux and server logs..

Thanks.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-cd01c16e-8134-4133-84f3-248f8c02ca80.txt

This log is a full transcode which contradicts what you said earlier about what blue neon was doing.

vaise

OK - I assumed just audio was converted as the TV still said the right screen res for 4k was being displayed.

So :

BNN - default auto - transcodes (I dont know why it wants to - I assume audo) and works

BNN - force direct - video plays, no sound (I guess another reason I assume transcode for sound)

Emby Beta - no control of output, but does not work, get sound, but green fuxx at start, then repeatedly at top with randon roku crash).

Im trying to move away from BNN, but every now and again, very rarely we had to play a file that way and force transcode.

Seems the 4K files currently need it however.

I am adding more content to get better examples.

vaise

Ta.  I downloaded some sample files (as my xbox360 S with 4K HDR playback is not here yet to play disks).

I have done a media info on them and that is attached.

Means nothing to me but may assist you guys.

Edit - seems I cant upload a word doc......  renaming to .txt - please rename to docx to open it.

Analysis of 4k media type playback in Emby.txt

Edited by vaise

vaise

nope - whole load of flashing green/pink at the start, then the green lines flashging at the top as it continues.  Tried FF also - same.  Did that for star wars and paddington 2.  Did not try any others.

Just testing tho right.... not a fix.

Why is this not a fix? This is what blue neon is doing. Check the blue neon log. The in-app quality setting appears to be 3 mb. I bet if you raise the setting in the app to a higher value, then you will see the same behavior.

vaise

OIC - Forgot about the BNN setting.

So I set BNN to Local Quality - 70 UHD - its highest - AND IT STILL WORKED

Emby beta only has 80 or 50.

I dont think 3 is a fix - if you have UHD content, and the player can play UHD content, dont you want it to play native ?

Transcode logs attached for two tests on ones that dont work in emby :

ffmpeg-transcode-90687a1b-6ef8-4173-b25d-1f05b1113d23.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-6fa4d8d9-b6f5-4012-bb14-302330a51da0.txt

Can you produce ffmpeg logs for both emby app + blue neon app using the same video file, and as close of video quality setting as possible? thanks.

vaise

OK - 

Set both BNN and Emby beta to use UHD 50Mbps in the settings so both the same.

Run paddington 3 on emby first, got green yuk for first 2 seconds, then green lines/blocky playback etc in the credits.

Attached the transcode log with Emby in front of the name.

Repeated on BNN, same file etc.  No playback issue.

Attached the transcode log with BNN in front of the name.

One observation.  emby's says remux, BNN's says transcode - whatever that is.

One more thing - I enabled DLNA on emby, and run the same file from there to the TV directly, and now it is not only 4K, but it is also the TV senses the content is HDR - i.e when I press the picture settings on the TV, I can pick from HDR modes also.  This is what I want to happen from emby - but I guess the Roku is getting in the way - however the Roku I have is supposed to play 4K and HDR also.  so.... Fired up the roku media player (installed it first), accessed the dlna from emby, played the same files that Emby cant with no issues (all of them) - but the TV is not sensing it is HDR content like ehwn it is run direct to the TV - I will research that.

Ta.

Emby-ffmpeg-remux-b2bf4733-b65b-47d3-bf53-56314b45bb02.txt

BNN-ffmpeg-transcode-2aa8429b-0897-4064-b2f4-7ae7cf74907e.txt

Edited by vaise

There are two differences.

- BN is transcoding video

- BN is converting audio to aac while Emby app is converting audio to ac3

Double check but I think our app has a setting to change the audio conversion format so that it will convert to aac. This will eliminate one of the two differences. If not then perhaps @@ebr can put up a beta build that makes the change to see if that has a different result.

Now if roku media player is playing directly from Emby, then as purely a test, you can also try forcing direct play by denying user access to transcoding. Then see what happens with our app. Thanks.

vaise

OK - so those files that play natively with the roku, play on emby once I disable the transcoding stuff for my user.

Some have no sound however.

I have to disable this 'stop transcode' for other normal operation.

No audio change in the settings fro the roku app.  Not much in there at all.

Im not sure where this leaves me - I cant be the only one with some 4K stuff and a roku - unless everyone has 3Mbps set and transcoding it down - which defeats the point of having 4K content to start with. 

Id also like emby beta to have a force direct / force transcode option like BNN - that would save us having to flip to BNN every now and again when It cant decide whats right (hardly at all but the odd thing)

For now I guess I will leave the TV to do all this 4K stuff itself as its media player can ready the dlna from Emby now I have that turned on.  And a bonus - it knows when the content is HDR too.  Just a pity I cant control the DLNA to only show a specific couple of folders (4K-Movies and 4K-TVShows).

I'm a little confused.  Our remux did a straight stream copy and you said it showed as garbage.  But then you said you made it direct stream with the official app (by disabling transcoding) and it worked.  Can you please do that again and then post the server and any ffmpeg logs that are generated?

vaise

I dont know what you mean with official app.  I use the roku beta.

I have now given up on this however, as the TV itself can do this stuff all natively and plays everything from its USB, and an external USB HD can be attached and works fine.  Until I have more than one 4K TV, I will just have an attached drive on the TV.  I have removed the 4K Emby libraries now.

I will jump back in when more people have 4K's, and more people have 4K capable roku players and content.  Still in its early stages I imagine.

If anyone else has a 4k Roku / 4k TV, then all the different media file formats are here to test with - http://jell.yfish.us/

He's just referring to our app vs. the neon app. Can you please do this for ebr?

But then you said you made it direct stream with the official app (by disabling transcoding) and it worked.  Can you please do that again and then post the server and any ffmpeg logs that are generated?

Thanks !

vaise

OK - Will add the files back and the library, and when I can get on the TV I will do this.

Just to confirm : You want me to again disable the transcoding for my user, then on the roku, using emby beta run a few 4k video's, and post the results.