Live TV transcode

ddurdle

ddurdle

I just submitted a log via the Roku Emby BETA app (5:35pm ET).

What I noticed is that when I stream via "Live TV", it always transcodes.  But if I playback the identical stream via "IPTV" plugin in Emby, it doesn't transcode.

I noticed these two lines in the server log:

2018-04-28 21:34:38.311 Info App: Profile: Roku SG, Path: http://*/7.m3u8, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True

2018-04-28 21:34:38.311 Info App: Profile: Roku SG, No direct play profiles found for Path: http://*/7.m3u8

Is this normal behaviour?  Do I also need to upload a server log?

ddurdle

is there a separate log?  the server log includes tests with both.  Should I do the tests and force each test into it's own embyserver.txt?

No, I know what's going on. This is a defect in the app. They should both be running through the server, and since the video url is .m3u8 that means it cannot direct stream and therefore requires some ffmpeg involvement.

Currently the Roku is direct playing to the IPTV url but this is something we do not want to do. We can't verify that it's legally obtained content and direct playing to the remote url could result in our app violating app store policies.

But with an ffmpeg log we can look and see if the full video transcode can potentially be avoided.

ddurdle

I recall seeing one of your posts on another thread highlighting concerns around direct playing back in players through android and ios app store, and I thought maybe the same may apply for roku.

It's not actually doing full video transcoding.  It seems to be DirectStreaming.  So this is probably the expected behaviour no?  It could do Direct Playback but because of legality reasons, it must Direct Stream instead.

ddurdle

Should be the last question on this topic -- are .STRM files affected the same way?  On apps delivered through an app store, .STRM files will DirectStream and not DirectPlay?

ddurdle

Dug a little deeper and I can answer my own question.

Answer is NO.

But some of the STRM files that should show up as direct play are not working in iOS but working on Roku, but it might be an issue with the http headers in the response (definitely not the media codecs).  But that is likely an issue outside of Emby, so I'll investigate and open a new issue if I find that not to be the case.

Thanks for your help on the Live TV questions.  I've setup a third Emby Premier server, just for handling Live TV DirectStreams (unlimited bandwidth on the VPS).

• 3 months later...
ddurdle

In emby 3.5.2, I see consistency across all the devices I've tested (roku, chrome, firefox, ios, android) where all streams are Direct Stream and none are Direct Play.  This is a step in a good direction because it makes for a consistent behaviour across all devices.  Direct Streaming proves to be better than Direct Play.

• 1 year later...
sharrisct25@hotmail.com

So I have run into this issue but it is not consistent.  I always transcode for Roku clients when doing Live TV but never doing Live TV using my Android client.  Similarly the quality of playback is much better on my android than on my Roku devices despite the fact that the Android is wireless and the Roku is wired.  

I had purchased the HDhomerun Extend to avoid transcoding at all.  Is there anyway to skip transcoding when using the Roku client yet?

Hi.  Also, the wired network adapters on some of these devices are inferior to the wireless ones.  So you might try wireless with the Roku and see how it compares.

I had purchased the HDhomerun Extend to avoid transcoding at all.  Is there anyway to skip transcoding when using the Roku client yet?

I bet it is the ac3 Dolby audio. The Extend will transcode the video stream, but I do not think it is doing anything to the ac3.

The ac3 must pass-through on a Roku unless of course it is a Roku TV. If this is aac audio the Roku can decode this on the box and send it over the wire to the TV.

The Emby Roku app can automatically detect what your TV/AVR can support. If your TV/AVR does not support the ac3 codec the emby Roku app will have the server convert the ac3 into aac so the Roku can decode it because your TV cannot decode the ac3. This is likely why you see transcoding. The stats for nerds of the Roku app during video playback will confirm this.

Edited by speechles

sharrisct25@hotmail.com

Thank you for the response.  For understanding my setup looks like this.

• My server is a virtual install of Emby on Windows 10 with 6 cores and 16GB or RAM.  Trans coding goes to local storage which is on a RAID 5 array of SSD drives
  • My clients are Roku devices of assorted versions, Roku 3, Roku 4, a couple of Roku sticks.  I occasionally use my Android app.  There are 10 devices total but only 2 maybe 3 are running at a time.
  • About half of my Roku devices are connected to my 1gig ethernet switch and the other half connected to a wireless network 
  • I am Emby premier running version 4.4.2 and the Roku beta app

In this case the Roku clients I have confirmed are transcoding are a Roku 4 and a Roku 3 both wired.  The results are weird to me cause despite picking the same channel sometimes I get files with names containing "directstream", others with "transcode", and others containing "remux".  Today I tried a Roku stick connected wireless and got the same results.  I also tried the Roku 3 connected wireless and was still transcoding plus having slower response.  

Speechless I agree the remux logs are just the dolby audio but I have seen that the

directstream ones say

11:57:42.031 Stream mapping:
11:57:42.031   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
11:57:42.031   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)

The transcode one says
12:05:46.002 Stream mapping:
12:05:46.002   Stream #0:0 (h264) -> scale
12:05:46.002   format -> Stream #0:0 (libx264)

So in those cases, from the same Roku on the same channel I am doing more than just the audio.  Any idea what is going on here?  I have tried these same channels using the app from Silcondust and the quality, responsiveness is better plus there is less buffering.  I assume that is due to the transcoding. 

I attached ffmpeg logs in case you want to see them.

Is it 

ffmpeg-directstream-3c828b76-715a-45b2-a0e6-88129df75c8d_1.txt

ffmpeg-remux-eb351b7b-de4e-49db-930d-84dbd87d5891_1.txt

ffmpeg-remux-a50d2d6e-8c76-424f-98e7-b4bd70f93648_1.txt

ffmpeg-remux-c65f264a-c684-4be6-88ff-5f844803df5d_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-6d6723e4-1562-41d1-8361-146280324e91_1.txt

Edited by sharrisct25@hotmail.com

• 1 month later...
sharrisct25@hotmail.com

So I have accepted based off feedback that unfortunately the Roku devices can't accept the stream from a HDhomerun directly without some level for transcoding.  Most of the time this seems to just be the audio but occasionally it seems to do more.  I have added a NVIDIA GT 1030 card to help do this faster and that seems to help. 

Overall I would love to get it working with next to zero impact on the Emby server, that was my original goal with getting the HDhomerun extend in the first place.  Any suggestions on how to tweak it would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 4:34 PM, sharrisct25@hotmail.com said:

So I have accepted based off feedback that unfortunately the Roku devices can't accept the stream from a HDhomerun directly without some level for transcoding.  Most of the time this seems to just be the audio but occasionally it seems to do more.  I have added a NVIDIA GT 1030 card to help do this faster and that seems to help. 

Overall I would love to get it working with next to zero impact on the Emby server, that was my original goal with getting the HDhomerun extend in the first place.  Any suggestions on how to tweak it would be appreciated.

Unfortunately the Roku's are limited in what they can display but newer boxes are much better than older boxes when it comes to live TV.

Being able to transcode in GPU does make the Roku a much easier client to use for Live TV even if not ideal.

If you don't mind me asking what Roku device are you currently using and after adding the GPU what issues do you still have?

sharrisct25@hotmail.com

So I have a few different ROKU devices but most of them are older Roku 3 devices.  I am updating my devices to newer ROKU streaming sticks so I will see if that helps any.  Most of the streaming works pretty well but I do have 2 consistent issues still.

• One TV using a older ROKU 3 creates a lot of Transcode files, to the point it can fill 150GB of space in like 12 hours.  The log files indicate it is just a remux but still.
  • The second issue is linked to the first.  The Transcode files do not clean themselves up.  So I can run through my local disk space very quickly> I have a task to delete all the files in the transcode directory every night but that is not fast enough in some cases.

Is that one roku just watching the same channel all day long?  Wondering why it doesn't clean up after itself.

What is the use case for that roku?

sharrisct25@hotmail.com

Yes that roku is likely watching the same 1 or 2 channels per day.  In fact they often leave it running when not in the room.  That is why I am changing to a stick so it will automatically turn off when they turn off the TV at least.  I think sometimes they turn the TV off but the Roku is still playing the channel.

I do not know why the transcode files do not clean up.  I have had problems with that for years, before the live TV.  That is why I had the job to clean them up every night.  The once a day used to work.

Ask them to exit out of Live TV and then go back in and start watching again (at least for a test) every few hours and see if this improves things.

My dad used to drive me crazy with this on a Roku 3 as he's put on Fox News at night to fall asleep to. He sometimes would just turn off the TV with it still running.

BTW this is something that Luke & ebr have said already they are looking to improve.