Album Art, Album Artist and bandwith

RedKong

RedKong

Hi,
I have just started using Emby, it is a fantastic project.

I have a couple of questions:

1) I see that the Album Art embedded in my .mp3 files is getting resized, how do I stop that?

Some of the images have been resized to 600x600, but some others have been resized to 200x200, which is way too small.

I would like the full size, full quality image that I have embedded, always.

For example:

The album art resized to 600x600.

5ae3136847fd2_2MB7A.png

The cover I embedded, which is 1200x1200.
 5ae3138a9bc32_2MB7A222.png

2) Sometimes in the background of the music player I have the picture of the Album Artist.

I did not choose this image, I do not like this, I would very much prefer to see the Album Art, or at least a solid color background.

For example:

5ae313aa37286_notgood2.png

Especially on mobile, this is a big, big issue for me.

It would be extremely better with the Cover Art here instead of Howard Shore's face.

5ae313b6a39db_photo_20180427_140335.jpg

3) Is there a way to limit the bandwidth available for streaming music?

I have tried the "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):", even if I set it to 0.25 it still uses all the bandwidht available, e.g.: I hit next song on a client (not on my local network), monitoring the speed on the server I see a a short spike to 20Mbps (my available upload bandwith) and that's it.

Thank you for your time and help, please tell me If I need to provide more information!

Edited by RedKong

Hi, where exactly do you feel the images are being resized?

Yes you didn't choose the backdrop, but you did leave image fetching enabled for music artists and that's why you're seeing that.

In playback settings there is a separate setting for music quality.

RedKong

Hi!

Thank you for your answer.

1) "where exactly do you feel the images are being resized?"

It looks like all the covers are being resized to 600x600 (Even tough at least one of them was resized to 200x200, which is how I noticed)

Other examples in addition to the one I posted before:

mp3tag showing the embedded image at 500x500

5ae3959bd6aa2_500.png

the embedded image extracted via mp3tag, again 500x500

5ae395cbe1b6b_folder.jpg

The cover in the Emby client interface, showing 600x600

5ae396be9b835_dser.png

the image shown in the emby client, its url is (while browsing in local, but it does not matter):

http://localhost:8096/emby/Items/8442c2856bb93301ea6291d28d7a8276/Images/Primary?maxHeight=300&tag=aa53d373c884f8fce54378c1d88f2171&quality=90

deleting the last part links to the direct image:

http://localhost:8096/emby/Items/8442c2856bb93301ea6291d28d7a8276/Images/Primary

Which is 600x600 and it is also of much lower quality (lots of jpeg compression artifacts, blocking)

5ae396397077d_Primary.jpg

This is the case for every album I have checked, which is most but not every single one because there are 600+ in this library.

It does not matter if the embedded image is smaller or larger than 600x600, and whether it is jpeg, jpg or png.

2) Yes you didn't choose the backdrop, but you did leave image fetching enabled for music artists and that's why you're seeing that.

Ah, I see, where can I find that setting?

Do I have to re-import the library for it to take effect?

3) In playback settings there is a separate setting for music quality.

I can't find this setting, I only see this:

5ae397e5ad5b4_dsdsdsder.png

Thank you again for your help!

Edited by RedKong

For #1, yes actually you are right. When we extract an image it is currently always 600*600.

For #2, library -> metadata, although for the next release it will be moved into each library sparely. You can also delete the image that was downloaded.

For #3, you are looking at server settings. Click your user icon in the top right to see settings for the web app.

RedKong

#1, I understand. Is there a way to overwrite the result or the parameters of the process?

I don't know if I'm in the right place to make a suggestion, but I think that it would be best if the image was not resized, at least not when the embedded one is bigger than 600x600.

Also, in my opinion the quality factor used for the resulting jpeg is too low. A better compromise between quality (lack of visible artifacts) and speed/size could be found.

#2, That's it! you mean in my filesystem, right? not in the app interface? (I could not find a way to delete them there)

So, I delete these files from \AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata\artists

5ae3dd976448c_4m99z7rf2htz.png

and use these settings:

5ae3de08e3d51_sd.png

And it should be good?

Is there a way to set my own backdrop?

Perhaps using the embedded Cover Art?

#3, It is a per-user and user-defined setting then? I would prefer a centrilised way to manage the bandwidth, as it stands now I should tell all my user how to set their clients?

Thank you so much again, you are very helpful.

Edited by RedKong

They're going to get converted anyway at the point of display when an Emby app requests the image. The reason why we extract at 600 is to try and reduce the chances of having to convert it again on the fly when an Emby app needs the image. The smaller we extract, the less likely we'll have to convert on the fly and that will reduce cpu usage when browsing the library.

Yes you can delete using the web app. Try clicking some of the 3-dot buttons on top of posters and you can edit images. Once you're familiar with that, then you can browse to the artist screen and do that for the artist.

RedKong

They're going to get converted anyway at the point of display when an Emby app requests the image. The reason why we extract at 600 is to try and reduce the chances of having to convert it again on the fly when an Emby app needs the image. The smaller we extract, the less likely we'll have to convert on the fly and that will reduce cpu usage when browsing the library.

Ok, I understand.

Yes you can delete using the web app. Try clicking some of the 3-dot buttons on top of posters and you can edit images. Once you're familiar with that, then you can browse to the artist screen and do that for the artist.

Thank you, I found this setting screen.

However, I can't do that manually for every single album. Is there a way to mass delete them? Or even better, stop them from being fetched?

I removed the entire library, deleted the cache and metadata folder, restarted emby server. Then I selected a small group of albums for testing and added them as a new library.

I used the settings I have in the screenshot posted above but still some artists get populated with logo, fanart, folder...

Wierdly  some which were being fetched before (harry gregson-williams for example) are not bein fetched now

5ae452cddf979_dsaa.png

I would like just to not see these pictures and possibly see the album Cover Art in their place

Also, about the bandwith limiting, I can't find a general setting to impose on the clients or users

Edited by RedKong

To stop them from being downloaded in the future you would edit the server metadata settings like I mentioned earlier.

There currently is no music specific bandwidth setting. You can set a global upload limit on the server like you were looking at earlier, but this will affect video playback too.

Keep in mind that most apps will default to 128k or 192k when out of network so I think out of box it should do what you want.

RedKong

Sorry for the late response.

To stop them from being downloaded in the future you would edit the server metadata settings like I mentioned earlier.

Would this be right if I wanted nothing to be fetched and that all the info displayed came directly from my files?

5ae61789d5023_5ae3de08e3d51_sd.png

I replicated these settings for all the other media types, it looks like it worked, I am not seeing any more artist images.

If you tell me this is the right way then I think the problem is solved

There currently is no music specific bandwidth setting. You can set a global upload limit on the server like you were looking at earlier, but this will affect video playback too.

Is this the setting in question?
5ae61b2da0a78_5ae3de0fd8e3d51_sd.png

I have tried setting this to 0.25 Mbps but to me it looks like it is not working.

For example: I hit next song, one which I never played, on an out local network device (my phone, disconnected from wi-fi), and I see in the task manager on my computer (the server) that it is using well over 0.25 Mbps.

5ae61c67931c7_51dfgf_sd.png

I can't replicate this now but testing with a friend who has a faster connection than my phone I have seen the upload use all the available bandwidth (which is 20 Mbps for me), so it does not seem to be limited in any way.

Edited by RedKong