Mouse cursor reappears on media change, does not disappear

SenatorIvy

SenatorIvy

Does it work?

I mean sure an app that hides the mouse cursor after a period of inactivity will probably work but the issue is that Emby Theater isn't doing it.  I assume this is because the call to hide the mousepointer fires after a mouse event and never again until another mouse event.  Wouldn't the fix be to just re-call whatever sub hides the mousepointer on media-change?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
infinitereality

I tried the program over the weekend and works like you'd expect.  I'll keep using it, just one less thing I have to do when I first turn on the movie room equipment.

I tried the program over the weekend and works like you'd expect. I'll keep using it, just one less thing I have to do when I first turn on the movie room equipment.

How long you been using it? Any bugs or quirks? Wish the mouse auto hid when starting ET via remote.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

infinitereality

I've been using it for a couple of days so far, but it does exactly as intended.  And yes it does auto hide the mouse when starting ET via remote.  Also the remote scrolling around in ET doesn't make it come back.  

There's a few options, like start with windows, set the timer delay to whatever you want, minimize it to the task bar and a few others.  Definitely recommend checking it out

How long you been using it? Any bugs or quirks? Wish the mouse auto hid when starting ET via remote.

• Like 1

shpitz461

Luke, would it be possible for ET on Windows to nudge the mouse a little (a pixel or two) upon launch? For me, ever since v2.9.6 or so i've had the cursor issue, using strictly a remote.

In my case ET is only app running and the computer is never rebooted or goes to sleep.

infinitereality

In my case ET is only app running and the computer is never rebooted or goes to sleep.

Same with mine too.

We already do that as a hack, but the app needs to be starting full screen for it to work.

Hmmm... [emoji848]. I have ET start full screen, but the mouse never moves nor disappears until I manually move it. Is it in the stable release or only beta where the hack is implemented?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Wilky13

We've had it for a long time. It works just fine in my testing. And I can verify this because if I remove the hack, then i do see the problem of not having focus until you click into the window.

shpitz461

I'm also running ET maximized.

This is so bizarre, ET was fine back in v2.9.6 iirc. Did anything substantial change in terms of the overlays/visuals?

We've had it for a long time. It works just fine in my testing. And I can verify this because if I remove the hack, then i do see the problem of not having focus until you click into the window.

It must be because I open ET through a script that minimizes WMC and then opens ET full screen. And when I exit ET it remaximizes WMC.

Yet I can verify what others have reported. In my case I also use a Harmony remote to launch ET maximized. Is this a common thread among those affected? Maybe something with how I'm launching ET in my Harmony activity??

The PC never sleeps or shuts down. When the TV shuts off, ET is closed. Once the TV and AVR power on, I hit a button to launch a fresh instance of ET. It used to work fine and the mouse would disappear after a moment of inactivity. Now it no longer works. The remote's programming hasn't changed.

I just installed that auto mouse hiding utility mentioned above and while it works for now, it's pretty cheesy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Wilky13

Yet I can verify what others have reported. In my case I also use a Harmony remote to launch ET maximized. Is this a common thread among those affected? Maybe something with how I'm launching ET in my Harmony activity??

The PC never sleeps or shuts down. When the TV shuts off, ET is closed. Once the TV and AVR power on, I hit a button to launch a fresh instance of ET. It used to work fine and the mouse would disappear after a moment of inactivity. Now it no longer works. The remote's programming hasn't changed.

I just installed that auto mouse hiding utility mentioned above and while it works for now, it's pretty cheesy.

Same exact setup for me.

Cursor used to hide, but at some point an Emby update broke it. Wish I had a better idea when it was, so we could point to which update to ET it was.

khodges747

I can verify this, too.

Starting up, full screen, with the Harmony Elite remote (on Intel NUC, running Win 10 ver 1803, which never shuts down) and the cursor will remain visible until I move the mouse.

I have a second system, using an ASUS laptop running Win 10 1803, on a different TV, using a different Harmony Smart Control remote, and the same behavior is observed.

No other apps are running on either system, so I don't see what could steal focus. Both start full screen.

• 2 weeks later...
Raptor6L

It must be because I open ET through a script that minimizes WMC and then opens ET full screen. And when I exit ET it remaximizes WMC.

I have the exact same set up, however for me it doesn't seem to matter whether Emby has been launched from within WMC or if it is launched separately with WMC closed, it will show up the mouse cursor and it needs to be pushed aside, most of the time. It appears to be a bit random as to whether it will be a problem or not.

Interestingly, I was having a separate issue with Emby which resulted me in watching a few episodes using just the standard Win8.1 video player, and it wouldn't properly the mouse cursor for that either. It would disappear but then it would flicker so you keep catching a glimpse of where you left the mouse.

I have the Microsoft MCE IR receiver, the Microsoft MCE keyboard (switched off and only comes out when needed) and a Harmony remote. A bit of testing I did earlier when the cursor wasn't hiding - if I pulled the usb plug for the receiver out, the cursor disappeared. Put the plug back in and it reappeared and wouldn't go away.

Think I'm going to try that software mentioned earlier.

Cheers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
shpitz461

The cursor issue is getting worse...

Now on ET v3.0.5 it refuses to go away unless i actually move the mouse. My old trick of assigning alt-tab to a remote button and pressing the button twice upon ET launch doesn't work anymore.

The OSD shows and hides but the cursor (regular pointy arrow, not a hand cursor) remains on the screen regardless of the OSD.

Is there a way to have ET launch with the cursor hidden by default?

shpitz461

Ha, I think it's fixed!

The cursor (regular pointy cursor) appears upon launching of ET, but then it disappears after 2-3 seconds on it's own. I'll continue to monitor this issue and report back, need to try a few scenarios.

I wonder is this mouse behavior is related to the problem i'm having with version 3.0.5 as reported in this post.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65582-mouse-not-working-in-latest-version/

The mouse cursor remains even after the OSD has disappeared unless I move it off screen to the right or bottom.

Just wondering.

I wonder is this mouse behavior is related to the problem i'm having with version 3.0.5 as reported in this post.

In that topic the issue is loss of mouse. You can't be having both right?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/65582-mouse-not-working-in-latest-version/

The mouse cursor remains even after the OSD has disappeared unless I move it off screen to the right or bottom.

Just wondering.