Is this it?

kiwinewt

kiwinewt

So after getting hyped up that I can run an emby frontend on the PS4, being part of the 'yay' column for why I should get one...

You have to run emby from a browser

The cursor dictates where you can click, rather than the supposed controller support properly

There is no app

The playback lags and jumps (on a gigabit connection to the server on my internal network!)

Playback seems to be lower quality than I've had on a low-end pc

There's nothing showing up under the videos app for DLNA playback

Is there another option? Are you guys ever going to actually get on the PS4 properly? Compete with Plex? Why did I even sign up for premiere if it's honestly so meh?

Or should I just suck it up and buy a cheap Kodi box from AliExpress and be able to watch my media? I'd really rather have a single device. Especially since my emby server is accessible from the web and it would allow my partner to watch with me from her house.

kiwinewt

Think it would be less trouble to get a Fire TV stick or RPi maybe ?

But then there is the hassle of switching inputs (we don't have the tv remote) and combining audio outputs for the surround sound

arrbee99

Fair enough. Although I should perhaps suggest, without criticizing in anyway Luke and the team, who do seriously work very hard, that 'interested in for the future' might have a somewhat flexible time frame.

kiwinewt

Fair enough. Although I should perhaps suggest, without criticizing in anyway Luke and the team, who do seriously work very hard, that 'interested in for the future' might have a somewhat flexible time frame.

I agree. Hence asking how I can help as I'm a developer too

arrbee99

Ah OK.

In that case, on a different subject entirely, seeing as you're in NZ am wondering if you could perhaps do me a favour and see if in the View New Content section in the Forum if you find it really slow, as its really slow for me and Luke was wondering if its some kind of regional thing ?

Jdiesel

How can I help make that happen?

Start a GoFundMe for a PS4 dev kit and donate it to ebr, last I heard they were about $2500

kiwinewt

Although this $2,500 price is being cited in development circles, the game-makers we spoke to all said that Sony had lent them dev kits for a limited period of one year, for free. As of right now, there are no dev kits being sold. Sony is sending whatever it has available to favored developers. "All the indies I know got them for free," said one developer. "Sony has been amazing about kits and development thus far."

https://www.polygon.com/2013/7/24/4553842/so-how-much-does-it-cost-to-develop-for-playstation-4

Apparently there is an emulator available to developers as well, so the kit may not even be needed?

• 2 weeks later...
KarlDag

So after getting hyped up that I can run an emby frontend on the PS4, being part of the 'yay' column for why I should get one...

The cursor dictates where you can click, rather than the supposed controller support properly

There is no app

The playback lags and jumps (on a gigabit connection to the server on my internal network!)

Is there another option? Are you guys ever going to actually get on the PS4 properly? Compete with Plex? Why did I even sign up for premiere if it's honestly so meh?

Or should I just suck it up and buy a cheap Kodi box from AliExpress and be able to watch my media? I'd really rather have a single device. Especially since my emby server is accessible from the web and it would allow my partner to watch with me from her house.

plex has an app, sure, but it's useless and buggy. Both Plex and Emby are useless on PlayStation. Get an Xbox, or a shield tv, or a roku, or anything else first for those apps.

Do you know what language their sdk is based on? Objective C I'm guessing?

kiwinewt

Do you know what language their sdk is based on? Objective C I'm guessing?

LLVM/Clang with C++11 seems to be the one :)

• 1 month later...
mrdark

Same boat. This is just silly at this point. Good luck getting live TV with Raspberry Pi as an alternative. I had to just request assistance after wasting hours of my time trying to get it to work after I gave up on the PS4 "app".

What issue did you have on PS4? In my testing I'm able to play video and live TV with it just fine. Thanks.

• 7 months later...
hjason7812

What issue did you have on PS4? In my testing I'm able to play video and live TV with it just fine. Thanks.

music playback

Itzdibbyyx

There is no app

Hi whilst on PS4 if it is connected on the HOST server network (Local Area network) then you are able to access it through the Media player application too