Server Recommendation

metrogeekythinker

metrogeekythinker

Hey Guys,

I am new here. I intend to run emby server for a shop. I have 8 iPads running, 1 smart tv and another client running on the server.

The 8 iPads will be running either videos or streaming music. By default the iPads will be running video ads repeatedly. The Smart TV will be running Ads continuously and the client on the server will only be streaming music continuously.

What sort of server do I need? Do I still need a GPU. As for content, it doesn't change often, I know there is an offline mode but it is still beta. Do I need a good router for the WIFI as well. Thanks in advanced for any feedback.

PenkethBoy

your main thing to consider is wifi - as thats how all the ipads will connect

to improve the coverage of you shop consider adding wifi Access points (AP) to your list as running 8 ipads off one router wifi will swamp its ability to supply enough bandwidth and playback of video will not be great - also depending how big you shop is having the wifi come from one location will limit the range of coverage

also make sure all the videos are in a format that can be played natively by all you client devices - that way you wont need the server to do any transcoding and as the content does not change much its a one time conversion

as for the music its much less demanding than video - unless its high bitrate flac - but i guess its probably mp3 files

In this situation the server does not need to be that powerful as its just supplying files to the clients - however if you have other plans to enhance the "experience" then that may need to be factored in and increase the hardware necessary etc 

PrincessClevage

Another thing to add is which router is recommended for WIFI to run smoothly?

I have recently purchased Velop wifi mesh system (3units) and the system has been solid and the best wifi system for the home I have ever used making many pain point disappear even tho my internet connection is still crap, I have read that the Netgear Orbi wifi mesh has higher throughout capabilities and good coverage and might be worth checking out for soho use.

mastrmind11

^^ this.  Whatever you do, don't get shitty "repeaters".  They literally split the bandwidth of incoming/outgoing traffic over the same radio, and aren't MIMO, which means they can't send and receive at the same time.  Spend the money and get good stuff.  I am a Ubiquiti fan, and adding a few AP-AC to your space would be a nice option, though you have to get a hard line to them (to which I recommend MoCA adapters assuming you have coax jacks scattered around your space).  

metrogeekythinker

So a single router like netgear R7800 is not enough? The space are pretty open all iPads are near each other, distance are not too far.

PenkethBoy

Probably not (its a consumer grade router) as if all the ipads are wanting to stream video - the wifi bandwidth of you router will not be enough - dont believe the marketing hype - real world speeds will be lower than advertised.

having other AP's (wired back to the router/switch) will increase your available bandwidth

If this is beyond your experience find somebody to help you set it up 

PenkethBoy

lol - they dont test multiple clients pulling at the same time and the test at the end is with two units

SSJ4Gokou

I have recently purchased Velop wifi mesh system (3units) and the system has been solid and the best wifi system for the home I have ever used making many pain point disappear even tho my internet connection is still crap, I have read that the Netgear Orbi wifi mesh has higher throughout capabilities and good coverage and might be worth checking out for soho use.

I have purchased the Oribu which sits behind my Asus 3200 router, so I can keep using Ab-solution ad blocking, and this has helped increase me Wifi range tremendously. I also stream locally to to multiple Smart TV's, Rokus and Mobile devices just fine. Also have thrown in some 4K and UHD content as well.

SSJ4Gokou

Is the Orbi AC2200 good enough or AC3000 is required?

Depends on the size of your house. I have a 3,000 sq ft house and went for the AC3000 since it covers more Sq Ft, 5,000sq ft to be exact. Either one of them will work just fine. Price is also a factor. I purchased my AC3000 2 pack, One Orbi Router and One Orbi Satellite at Walmart for $291. Currently Amazon has them for the same price.