Record series - some are grey, some are red

Grohnheit
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Grohnheit

Hi.

I am new to Emby, so just a short intro.

The last couple of years I have used MediaPortal as DVR and VLC to play files from SMB shares.

I decided that I could do smarter, so I started by trying plex (with plex pass), but after some disappointment with the live tv part of plex, I installed Emby (with premiere), and I have got most stuff to work just fine, live tv is way better than plex.

I have used these forums a lot to setup stuff, so thanks for sharing all the great information.

Today I wanted to record a tv show, and I saw that it was possible to record the whole series, so I did that.

But Emby decided that it would only record some of the episodes. I tried another show, and it seems to work.

So I went back to this show, and played around with the settings, and cancelled the series and tried again and again, but with the same outcome.

I checked my xmltv.xml file, to compare an episode that Emby would record (red icon), with a episode that Emby would not record (grey icon), and they are completely equal beside the episode number, title, and desc.

to show you this, I cancelled the series, and restarted the server to get a clean log.

This is what I did after the restart.

1. go to "guide.

2. find an episode of the show.

3. pressed "record series".

4. go to series menu, and click on the show, grap a screen dump to show to you.

5. go to manage server and open the log, copy all the info into notepad.

This is the screen dump:

5adcd9013a93a_Screenshot_72.png

As you can see Emby only decided to record 2 of the 4 episodes shown in this screen dump.

Why is this happening? Emby clearly knows about "the greyed out" episodes, but decides not to record them.

I have attached the server log.

Best Regards

Michael

Emby-Log.txt

Edited by Grohnheit

Hi, as a test, try setting it to all channels. This shouldn't make a difference, but we want to try it just to rule it out.

If that doesn't help then I'm guessing the show id's in the xml must all be the same, therefore the server is trying to avoid recording duplicates.

• Like 1

Grohnheit

Hi Luke

I tried changing the setting to all channels, it did not change anything.

I have attached a file, where I copied all the shows from the xml to a new text file, and grouped them according to Embys behaviour, but it doesn’t make sense.

xml.zip

Edited by Grohnheit

Grohnheit

Hi ebr

This is the xml data for the 4 episodes shown in the screendump:

<programme start="20180422230000 +0200" stop="20180423000000 +0200" channel="1847.honeybee.it">
    <title lang="da">Undersøgelse af flystyrt</title>
    <sub-title lang="da">Bag lukkede døre</sub-title>
    <desc lang="da">Delta Airlines Flight 1141 styrter hurtigt efter starten. Efterforskerne har mistanke om, at der er problemer med flyet eller dets indstillinger.</desc>
    <category lang="en">series</category>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns"> . 2 . </episode-num>
    <previously-shown/>
  </programme>

<programme start="20180423100000 +0200" stop="20180423110000 +0200" channel="1847.honeybee.it">
    <desc lang="da">En stille aften sker en uforklarlig fejl, da to af motorerne på et nyt passagerjetfly sætter ud midt mellem Montreal og Edmonton.</desc>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">4 . 1 . </episode-num>
    <previously-shown/>
  </programme>

<programme start="20180423110000 +0200" stop="20180423120000 +0200" channel="1847.honeybee.it">
    <desc lang="da">Efter en eksplosion har slået hul i et DC-10-fly, finder efterforskerne en fatal fejl i flyvemaskinen. To år senere styrter et andet DC-10-fly ned pga. samme problem. Kunne ulykken være undgået?</desc>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">4 . 2 . </episode-num>
    <previously-shown/>
  </programme>

<programme start="20180423190000 +0200" stop="20180423200000 +0200" channel="1847.honeybee.it">
    <sub-title lang="da">Flyet, der ikke ville tale</sub-title>
    <desc lang="da">Kameraet på instrumentbrættet i en passerende bil optager, mens TransAsia Flight 235 dykker ned mod Keelung-floden i Taipei.</desc>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns"> . 7 . </episode-num>
    <previously-shown/>
  </programme>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Michael.D.Pine

It's great coming to these forums and seeing these things :)

I am just going through all the settings up of Emby, which so far has been awesome :)

I seem to be getting the Grey series record icon and not sure why, I literally have nothing in my library, essentially everything is brand new, I have an external XML TV Guide, is there anything I can check as to why it would decide to not record something in the series ?

EDIT: Ok does the grey mean it hasn't started recording yet ??

Edited by Michael.D.Pine

It's great coming to these forums and seeing these things :)

I am just going through all the settings up of Emby, which so far has been awesome :)

I seem to be getting the Grey series record icon and not sure why, I literally have nothing in my library, essentially everything is brand new, I have an external XML TV Guide, is there anything I can check as to why it would decide to not record something in the series ?

EDIT: Ok does the grey mean it hasn't started recording yet ??

Hi there @@Michael.D.Pine

Can you please go over an example? Thanks !

Michael.D.Pine

Hi there @@Michael.D.Pine

Can you please go over an example? Thanks !

Sorry for taking so long to get back, my wife came up with a theory because I haven't filtered the channels out properly yet, she thinks they are grey because it is indicating it will be recorded on another channel ?

Sorry another question as well (I'm new remember :) )

Is there a button/shortcut which is similar to the old WMC flip between the current channel/previous channel ? In WMC while watching Live TV you could just press ok and it would swap to the previous watched channel.

5cc57ebfd960d_Series_Recordings_Grey.png

The grey one means that Series is set to record but that specific episode will NOT record due to the setting you have for the series recording (e.g. you already have that episode).

Michael.D.Pine

Ok, so I understand that but we have nothing in our library :)  As in this are the first recordings we have set for that series, so I assume what is happening is that it considers the fact that one channel is going to record it as being that the episode exists in the library, odes that make sense ?