Emby Server and Windows sleep mode

rsee

I have Emby Server (version 3.3.1.0) running on a Windows 10 PC 64 bit (Previously running Windows 7 had same issues) and use Emby for Kodi (version 3.0.22) on a Fire TV and two Fire Sticks. The problem I have been having is the server goes to sleep while streaming a video but then prevents the server from sleeping after I shut down Kodi and put the Fire TV or Fire Sticks to sleep. The problem seemed to start happening sometime after version 3.2.35.0. I found some reported this problem but it was a few years ago so I figured I would start a new thread. Maybe it's just me and I am doing something wrong???

• Like 1

hi @@rsee, yea this is strange. It should be preventing sleep on windows. Since we are close to putting out a new release, I would try again once that is available and then we can go from there. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Dranon

I've been having this problem for a while now too. Sometime within the last year, my server has started to fall asleep while in use. It didn't used to happen, but I can't pinpoint when the change occurred (i.e. which version of Windows, and which version of Emby). What troubleshooting steps would you recommend?

Current Emby version 3.4.1.0

Windows version: Windows 10 Pro, version 1803, build 17134.112

• Like 1

Dranon / Luke,

I am still having this problem but it doesn't seem to be consistent. For the record, all my movies and TV shows are in the .mkv format. And second, my configuration is also...

Server: Emby version 3.4.1.0

Windows version: Windows 10 Pro, version 1803

Client: Emby for Kodi Android (Not sure of the current version but the problem existed prior)

What I have noticed is that if I am watching a movie and then maybe 15/20 minutes later decide to stop the movie and select a different movie, 30 minutes later (that's my sleep mode setting) the server will suddenly go to sleep. Yet if I change movies or watch till the end and then select a TV show to watch, sleep mode does not activate. But then I have noticed that after shutting down the client and keeping the server running, sleep mode will still not activate after 30 minutes until I manually put the server in sleep mode. I can't say for certain this happens every single time (possibly because I have a wireless keyboard / mouse for my server and I could be resetting the sleep timer without realizing it) but it happens more times that not.

Sorry Luke. I was just trying to provide some info in hopes it might help you find where the problem lies. I didn't mean to be redundant about reporting this problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Emaster

Hello there.

I'm having the same issue both in Android TV and WebOS apps. Server in Windows 10 also.

Emby Server 3.5.0.0

Windows 10 Pro

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same problem. Latest server running on Windows 10, 1 client is intel NUC running Librelec Emby for Kodi and 2nd client is Ras Pi2 running Librelec Emby for Kodi. Problem occurs on both clients.

Regards

• 2 months later...
hedgehog90

I was watching a film last night in another room and my PC went to sleep during the final scene at the worst possible moment.

Then it was a faff to get it going again, by which point the moment had been spoiled.

My PC's sleep plan is set to 2 hours, I'd like to keep it that way.

I know this isn't Emby's fault (for some reason Windows thinks 'transferring high rate bitstream' = idle), but it would be nice if Emby could fire some signals so as to prevent the machine going to sleep while streaming.

Emby should be firing signals when the film is streaming so 

I was watching a film last night in another room and my PC went to sleep during the final scene at the worst possible moment.

Then it was a faff to get it going again, by which point the moment had been spoiled.

My PC's sleep plan is set to 2 hours, I'd like to keep it that way.

I know this isn't Emby's fault (for some reason Windows thinks 'transferring high rate bitstream' = idle), but it would be nice if Emby could fire some signals so as to prevent the machine going to sleep while streaming.

Emby should be firing signals when the film is streaming so 

Hi.  Are you on the latest beta of the server?