Problem with nativ paths in Emby for Kodi

Simaryp

Simaryp

Hi Folks,

I have some trouble getting my Emby client set up on Kodi.

Following situation:

I have a Diskstation with Emby running in a docker container.

For this Emby server I have created a user with read only acces on e.g the movie folder 192.168.178.45/Filme

It has the credentials Emby password1

So the Emby server is set up and running the movie folder is mounted to /media/movie.

Over the web interface I organized the library and added for movies the folder /media/movie/Filme and entered in the field beyond the actual path i.e. smb://192.168.178.45/Filme/Filme

I also created an account for the client over the webinterface with the credentials HTPC password2.

On the client I installed Emby for Kodi and connected to the server. I entered the credentials HTPC password2. I decided to take the nativ path option and entered the following.

Emby

password1

However, when the addon starts searching it says something like Kodi can't find the file:

smb//192.168.178.45/Filme/Filme/....

I have absolutely no clue where I made a mistake. Hopefully you can help me out.

Angelblue05

First of all, is the path valid? You've tested it? In you saying Kodi can't find the file, you are missing the : after smb, was that a typo on your part?

Simaryp

It was a typo here.

I entered the link in ubuntu to connect to a server and it worked with the credentials Emby password1.

I don't know whether this might be related to smb protocols? The minimum level on the server is 2 but it's the same in libreelec.

Angelblue05

Navigate to the install from zip option under add-ons. Navigate via smb, are you able to see your server, if so, are you able to navigate to Filme and is the path reflected match what you have in Emby?

Angelblue05

Ok well I suggest you switch to add-on playback mode instead. That's the default and is guaranteed to work out of the box. Then if you want to test using native paths, you can by disabling Force HTTP playback in the add-on settings > video playback tab. Provide your Kodi log capturing a playback attempt after disabling that setting, so we can see what Kodi is complaining about.

The verification is done via Kodi api. Kodi is saying it can't see the file so hopefully the log will give us a clue. To start the process over, launch the emby for kodi add-on - reset local database, yes/yes/yes. Let me know.

Edited by Angelblue05

Simaryp

Thx for your help so far. I think I will make a break here and get some sleep. Ifigured out that I can't connect to my server directly over smb. So I want to figure out why and maybe this answers already the question. From your questions I guess that in prinipal my settings are fine but the problem is burried deeper.

We will see.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I understand. But one of the benefits of going with add-on playback is that you can play around with your path in emby, until it works in Kodi, without having to resync or repair. The paths are pulled at the moment of playback so this will help test faster. Anyway, with a Kodi log it'll help give an idea of what's going on.

What platform are you running Kodi on, anyway?

Edited by Angelblue05

Simaryp

It is a Asrock j4105-ITX with LibreELEC Milhouse build.

I don't need a workaround since I have my old Raspberry with librelelec still running. And there are apparently some more issues I have to solve ;).

Angelblue05

Ok, It seems Samba shares are working, as long as I don't configure Emby for Kodi for native paths.

I wrote down what I did here:

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/12299-several-issues-with-new-installation/#post89911

The link doesn't seem to be working for me. Do you have your Kodi log? Is it passing the path to the video player that you expect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simaryp

Hmm that is strange I can open it easily, it directs to LibreELEC forum.

Ok folks, some update here. I tried to search for the samba problem and found some hint to look at the folder /storage/.kodi/userdata.

To my surprise the credentials to my shares are there in plain text. Is this really state of the art?

However, I deleted mediasources.xml, password.xml, and sources.xml and rebooted.

Afterwords I tried to connect to my smb share via the file manager and it worked like expected. I simply enter:

protocoll SMB

Server 192.168.178.45

Share: Filme

User: User

Password: Password

and the access is there. However, when I go to Emby for Kodi addon and enter there the network credentials:

IP 192.168.178.45

User: User

Password: Password

and reset the database, I get the error again, that the files are not existing. When I move to the file manager again and try to open the beforehand working share, I get the Operation not permitted error.

When I then delete password.xml again and reboot, I can access again.

Hopefully that helps.

A selfquote to what I experienced from there. It seems the password.xml that is created after I enter network credentials in Emby for Kodi messes up completely the mounting system.

Angelblue05

So what you are saying is you didn't need to enter your credentials in Kodi. Correct?

Simaryp

No.

By your hint I figured out that I can not enter my samba shares directly within Kodi /LibreELEC.

That puzzled me a lot, since I can do it easily with comparable to identical settings on my raspberrypi.

What I figured out is, when I delete the named xml's I can connect to my shares as expected.

But when I try to configure Emby for Kodi, I can't access my beforehand working shares and the Emby for Kodi is working neither.

So the password.xml is created by Emby for Kodi and messes up the system and in addition the addon itself is not working.

Angelblue05

Passwords.xml should only be created if you chose to add credentials during the initial setup or via launching Emby for Kodi > add network credentials. If you don't click on that, then no problem?

I'm just trying to understand your situation ;)

Simaryp

Yes than I can use my samba shares. But I need to click there in the addon otherwise it will not work properly with the option native path.

If I use the addon configuration it is no problem.

Angelblue05

So you are saying, with native playback mode, the passwords.xml file gets created even if you don't select add network credentials?

Simaryp

If I select native playback mode Emby for Kodi asks me to enter this credentials. I think it is needed in order to log in into the samba shares.

Angelblue05

No. that step is optional. You can simply skip that part. It states, would you like to, you have yes or no option... click no and that's it.

Edited by Angelblue05

Simaryp

Thx for the hint. I will try it out at one point.

Currently I have some driver issues and I am considering sending the Gemini Lake board back.

Simaryp

After resetting the addon I found a way to get it working.

I connected to the server and selected native paths but did not fill in any network information.

Instead I connected to my samba share via kodi directly.

In addition I had to manually set the switch in Emby addon from HTTP to SMB streaming. Now it seems to work. Thx.

Simaryp

After resetting the addon I found a way to get it working.

I connected to the server and selected native paths but did not fill in any network information.

Instead I connected to my samba share via kodi directly.

In addition I had to manually set the switch in Emby addon from HTTP to SMB streaming. Now it seems to work. Thx.

Angelblue05

That option has no effect on native playback mode.... video playback options (most of them) are only for add-on playback, then the add-on hooks into the playback actions. With native playback mode, it's all left up to Kodi.

Also, what do you mean by you connected kodi to samba directly?

Edited by Angelblue05

Simaryp

I mounted the samba share via kodi settings. Now it is working. When I did not mount the samba share in the past and select native path it did not work. I thought the network information settings are doing this job.

Strange. In the beginning I got this error again, after toggling this option with http it worked.

Angelblue05

What error did you get? Again, this setting has no effect on native playback mode because the add-on is not called prior to playback.

Try disabling the http setting and let me know what you see, thanks :)