Windows 10 Emby HTPC with Synology 918+ NAS Library

tmirzaian
Go to solution Solved by tmirzaian,

tmirzaian

I've read until my eyes are bleeding.  I recently built a Windows 10 Emby HTPC.  After quickly filling 8TB - I decided to add a Synology 4 bay NAS (918+) to my network only as the Emby Library - not to run Emby.  I still want to run Emby on my i7 HTPC.

I run my HTPC headless and RDP in from my personal WIN10 PC.  I  have everything running behind a Ubiquiti Amplifi router and after some tinkering with Windows 10 settings I can now see the NAS on the network.  So far I thought everything was going ok.  

5ad8f69d08b65_Capture.png

On the HTPC - I can see the NAS in explorer - I can map the NAS folder to a network drive.  I started moving the library over

5ad8f6cc25f29_Capture1.png

I am not however able to add anything from the NAS (HALL_OF_KINGS) even though it shows up in the network list when I try to add the library.

5ad8f7bf378d6_Capture2.png

It doesn't matter if I add any subfolders in the path I get the same error..  I am running EMBY as a service.

5ad8f7d852a52_Capture3.png

I read on other threads about adding a user profile in DSM Users - where would I put those credentials inside Emby?  I have a user profile for the HTPC machine itself.  Is there an additional user profile I need to setup in Emby/DSM?

Thanks for any help.  Sorry for the large images.  

Hi, can you try typing in the network folder path and see if that behaves differently? thanks.

tmirzaian

Hi, can you try typing in the network folder path and see if that behaves differently? thanks.

Hi Luke - No dice.  Manually typing in the path - regardless of the subfolder path or root shared folder - makes no difference.

FrostByte

I used to run a setup very similar to this before switching Emby over to the NAS

Are you starting the Emby service on your HTPC with an account/password which is also on the NAS and has access to your shared folders on the NAS?  The default system account on your HTPC will not work

• Like 1

CBers

I had something similar the other day in my test environment, Windows to Windows.

I had to first connect to the PC storing the media via Windows Explorer, so that credentials were stored and then everything worked.

• Like 2

tmirzaian

I used to run a setup very similar to this before switching Emby over to the NAS

Are you starting the Emby service on your HTPC with an account/password which is also on the NAS and has access to your shared folders on the NAS?  The default system account on your HTPC will not work

Frost - No - due to lots of work travel - I have it setup headless with auto-login on boot, so the wifey or kids can just power it on or reboot manually without me being home.

I don't have any additional logins setup.  I created a user account on the NAS and when I first connected to the NAS from the HTPC browser - I entered the credentials, mapped the drive and can explore from the HTPC explorer all the folders on the NAS.

tmirzaian

I had something similar the other day in my test environment, Windows to Windows.

I had to first connect to the PC storing the media via Windows Explorer, so that credentials were stored and then everything worked.

Indeed - this is exactly what I did, making sure to check "remember my credentials".  

FrostByte

Wrong again :(  I'm 0 for today

Anyhow, when you get back you shouldn't have to have it auto logon especially with a headless computer.  If the userid/passwords match then you just boot the computer which saves resources on the HTPC

• Like 1

tmirzaian

Wrong again :(  I'm 0 for today

Anyhow, when you get back you shouldn't have to have it auto logon especially with a headless computer.  If the userid/passwords match then you just boot the computer which saves resources on the HTPC

I mapped the NAS shared drive  - can browse it no problem in explorer - so I tried even though I don't like adding a mapped drive to my library folders - but even the mapped drive doesn't show in the list - and if I try to manually type it in - I get the same error.  So I've conquered the Windows permission issues - at least on the HTPC desktop - but now I just need to figure out why Emby can't see it.

server-63659757783.txt

Edited by tmirzaian

FrostByte

Because the Emby  service doesn't have permission to access to your files :)

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

• Solution
tmirzaian

Because the Emby  service doesn't have permission to access to your files :)

RESOLVED - 

Thanks Guys - Got it worked out - I run *services on the Win HTPC - Emby Service was running as localhost.  Updated with user login and password.  Added that usename to Synology users - Voila!

Edited by tmirzaian
  • Like 3