Recording Post Processing - Anyone removing commercials?

JDeLuca
Go to solution Solved by Diedrich,

Diedrich

Are there any plans to add removing commercials into Emby directly similar to Plex?

Do you mean simply kicking off an event to run Comskip or MCEBuddy, or native commercial detection/removal? The former can be done already with the script box, I would think the latter could be seen as a legal issue for Emby.

Jibest

No, in Plex there is simply a check box in the DVR options to remove the commercials (literally no other configuration was required). I'm testing a trial of Plex at the moment just to see how it handled DVR and was surprised to see an option. Tested it last night and it worked perfectly.

Just thought how great it would be if Emby had the same.

Riboflavin

No, in Plex there is simply a check box in the DVR options to remove the commercials (literally no other configuration was required). I'm testing a trial of Plex at the moment just to see how it handled DVR and was surprised to see an option. Tested it last night and it worked perfectly.

Just thought how great it would be if Emby had the same.

I'm back on Emby now but was using Plex the last 4 months or so and the commercial removal is the one thing I miss the most.

I'm going to have to give MCEBuddy a try.  It would be awesome to have it (commercial removal) as a feature builtin.

Edited by Riboflavin

• 2 months later...
Sammy

What do you guys put in this section?

5ad6962748a7a_Snapshot_28.jpg

Nothing. Default.

Edit: Then again, I have Sonarr managing/renaming my processed recordings.

So what is this section for in Emby LiveTV @@Luke?

I take it you run MCEBuddy as a scheduled task outside of Emby Completely? How do you use Sonarr to manage series recorded with Emby DVR and post processed with MCEBuddy? And why? You may as well just grab 'em straight up if they are in the public domain that is.

Sammy

It's something we are looking at, thanks.

I know this was in the installer for the last version of Emby Server but do you have a timeline for making it go live?

ddurdle

So what is this section for in Emby LiveTV @@Luke?

I take it you run MCEBuddy as a scheduled task outside of Emby Completely? How do you use Sonarr to manage series recorded with Emby DVR and post processed with MCEBuddy? And why? You may as well just grab 'em straight up if they are in the public domain that is.

The section is useful if you need to perhaps transcode the recordings.  I use it to convert the .TS container to MP4 HLS. 

• 1 month later...
FiercePierce

It's something we are looking at, thanks.

Luke, is there any update on this becoming a feature inside EMBY?  And on this same topic, will there be an ability to do this commercial removal with the EMBY Server for nVidia Shield

AxelAxel3

Chiming in here to a. throw my name in the pot as a vote towards a simple checkbox, and b. ask if because Emby is already encoding my videos via the Library convert feature, would there be a way to simply slip in comskip? I haven't dug into how comskip is setup or how it works yet, but would that be possible? Or is there a way to do the post-processing command with Comskip alone?

AxelAxel3

I have spent a little bit of time trying to figure out the post-processing command to use. I do see where I can monitor for files in MCEBuddy, but not sure what to put in the post-processing so Emby can tell MCEBuddy when it is ready to be processed instead of them fighting for the same file with its monitoring feature. I cannot seem to find what to put here :( Anyone mind sharing what they use to simply remove the commercials in the post-processing field?

I have downloaded and installed MCEBuddy and successfully removed commercials from a test file. Just not sure of the proper way to set it up. Its a Windows 2016 server.

Again, still voting for a simple checkbox :)

Edited by Darkstyrm

jasonmcroy

When I use MCEBuddy, I don't do anything in Emby's post processing field. I just input the folder I want to monitor in MCEBuddy and let it watch that folder. For example, I currently am using the HDHomerun DVR so I have MCEBuddy watching that folder. When a recording is completed it does it's thing then drops the processed file into my "TV Shows" folder that I have setup in Emby. 

If you're using the Emby DVR then just have MCEBuddy watching whatever folder you use to dump the Emby recordings into. Set up the monitoring folder to either delete or archive the original recording. I like to archive them in case there is an error of some kind I still have the original to fall back on.

AxelAxel3

Thanks, but I've seen that a couple times but I don't see anything about what to enter in the post processing field. :( I assume that means there is no way to do it via post processing field without jumping through major hoops? I have seen custom Powershell scripts for Plex, etc. but it will take a lot to re-engineer it for Emby. I was hoping there was a pre-made solution someone could share - but if not, I may take a stab at it and if I figure it out make a "how to".

If not, I may just do it that way, I would just rather Emby start the process.

Edited by Darkstyrm

Diedrich

Thanks, but I've seen that a couple times but I don't see anything about what to enter in the post processing field. :( I assume that means there is no way to do it via post processing field without jumping through major hoops? I have seen custom Powershell scripts for Plex, etc. but it will take a lot to re-engineer it for Emby. I was hoping there was a pre-made solution someone could share - but if not, I may take a stab at it and if I figure it out make a "how to".

If not, I may just do it that way, I would just rather Emby star the process.

Oh! The Emby field. I don't know how to do that. I have MCEB process the file with Comskip and remux the .ts file into a .mkv file. I then have it sent to a monitor folder where Sonarr (deprecated Drone Factory) monitors the folder and picks up the files to rename them and then moves it to the final TV series folder.

• 2 months later...
notla49285

Ok I want to be able to remove commercials but have no idea what on earth I'm reading. Do I need Comskip, or MCEBuddy? Or both?

AxelAxel3

Ok I want to be able to remove commercials but have no idea what on earth I'm reading. Do I need Comskip, or MCEBuddy? Or both?

So I finally got it figured out a while back, but I quickly quit using it. I got MCEbuddy premium (which I don't think you have to have) and that includes comskip.

Once I got it working, I found out it removed entire scenes from shows and still left commercials here and there. It often times cut off the ending. I started researching what I needed to do to fix it, and their answer was to tweak it until it stops doing that, and often you have to do it for EACH show on EACH channel. I ain't got time for that! I was constantly babysitting it and constantly having to restore shows from backup. And sometimes the service would just randomly stop and skip episodes.

There was some it worked great on, and it was nice because emby doesn't make it easy to FWD on Chromecast (from Android app) or Samsung TV app, but not many.

There are plenty of people who have had success with it, but not me. I spent too many hours on it and missed too many parts of shows to want to continue! But if you have the time, I'm sure you could get it working smoothly!

I have read there are ways to create files that says these parts are commercials and some players are able to recognize and skip that part but give you the option to rewind if it skipped something. This would be nice for stuff like this, but I would imagine if would a big lift for the devs to make that work on all platforms.

Edited by Darkstyrm
  • Like 1

notla49285

So I finally got it figured out a while back, but I quickly quit using it. I got MCEbuddy premium (which I don't think you have to have) and that includes comskip.

Once I got it working, I found out it removed entire scenes from shows and still left commercials here and there. It often times cut off the ending. I started researching what I needed to do to fix it, and their answer was to tweak it until it stops doing that, and often you have to do it for EACH show on EACH channel. I ain't got time for that! I was constantly babysitting it and constantly having to restore shows from backup. And sometimes the service would just randomly stop and skip episodes.

There was some it worked great on, and it was nice because emby doesn't make it easy to FWD on Chromecast (from Android app) or Samsung TV app, but not many.

There are plenty of people who have had success with it, but not me. I spent too many hours on it and missed too many parts of shows to want to continue! But if you have the time, I'm sure you could get it working smoothly!

Ok screw that, I don't have that amount of time either! Emby's ok at fast forwarding but the issue is I don't see a preview of where I am so have to stop at random places to check. I'd imagine it will be a lot of work to add previewing like this and it doesn't actually solve the problem, I see there have been a few requests to have a commercial-removing feature like this built into Emby but I don't see that happening any time soon, there are many more important things to sort out first.

Edited by notla49285

BAlGaInTl

I have read there are ways to create files that says these parts are commercials and some players are able to recognize and skip that part but give you the option to rewind if it skipped something. This would be nice for stuff like this, but I would imagine if would a big lift for the devs to make that work on all platforms.

Yup. It can be a PITA. But it isn't the fault of MCEBuddy and COMSKIP. It's the networks that purposely try and make it difficult. They don't want you to skip their commercials. :)

Ok screw that, I don't have that amount of time either! Emby's ok at fast forwarding but the issue is I don't see a preview of where I am so have to stop at random places to check. I'd imagine it will be a lot of work to add previewing like this and it doesn't actually solve the problem, I see there have been a few requests to have a commercial-removing feature like this built into Emby but I don't see that happening any time soon, there are many more important things to sort out first.

Have you enabled chapter images for your TV library? That may provide a useful preview to use.

notla49285

Have you enabled chapter images for your TV library? That may provide a useful preview to use.

Doesn't work on Roku.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
JasonNalley

So, the way PLEX worked for me, was it removed commercials (using a custom Comskip.ini I made) and then plopped the .ts into the TV Shows/Series name/Season XX folder.  I just told MCEBuddy to monitor the TV Library for any .ts files, and it transcoded them immediately and deleted the .ts for me.  This was/is handy.  As the above user has stated, PLEX for me is still what I am using for the DVR service, as it just works a bit better.  To have all of the recordings drop into a single recordings folder seems an awkward choice?  Why wouldn't it move them into the show/series folder?  If that one simple thing could be done, I could stop using PLEX altogether (since MCEBuddy can also use my Comskip.ini file).