Recording Post Processing - Anyone removing commercials?

JDeLuca
Go to solution Solved by Diedrich,

JDeLuca

Hi,

I’m new to emby, previous Plex user.  I’ve played around with MCEBuddy a few years ago but didn’t have good luck with it.  With Emby, have users been successful at setting up a post processing solution for commercial removal?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi, welcome. I think if you're on Windows, MCEBuddy will be your best bet. I think @@Latchmor might be using it and can offer some tips.

Latchmor

Hi, welcome. I think if you're on Windows, MCEBuddy will be your best bet. I think @@Latchmor might be using it and can offer some tips.

Sorry not me. The stuff I record to keep from TV is mostly BBC so no commercials!  :)

extensive

i use mcebuddy, bought comskip and simply use whatever profile it came with.  granted i only record a few shows and they are all OTA.

Diedrich

i use mcebuddy, bought comskip and simply use whatever profile it came with. granted i only record a few shows and they are all OTA.

I do the same thing except I've added some padding in the comskip file and keep the last 45 seconds. I've also become comfortable with the results so I've turned off checking for disk space and copying the original file before processing (mcebuddy settings).

I'd be glad to share my config files if you like. P.S. I purchased both pieces of software.

Edited by Diedrich

cybergrimes

I do the same thing except I've added some padding in the comskip file and keep the last 45 seconds. I've also become comfortable with the results so I've turned off checking for disk space and copying the original file before processing (mcebuddy settings).

I'd be glad to share my config files if you like. P.S. I purchased both pieces of software.

Do you have network specific configs or find yourself tweaking for different shows?

Diedrich

What do you guys put in this section?

5ad6962748a7a_Snapshot_28.jpg

Nothing. Default.

Edit: Then again, I have Sonarr managing/renaming my processed recordings.

Edited by Diedrich
  • Like 1

Diedrich

Do you have network specific configs or find yourself tweaking for different shows?

Neither. I'm too lazy to do that.

Diedrich

So, I'm just wondering what you've selected for a format to convert to? In settings > conversion tasks > profile, not sure what profile I should try first with emby?

I'll have to get back to you later tonight on that. I convert to mkv, one pass, not sure on the rest of the settings.

Diedrich

So, I'm just wondering what you've selected for a format to convert to? In settings > conversion tasks > profile, not sure what profile I should try first with emby?

dea4070b732f6779b4d983cdb77451d3.jpg

5cc56e018cbdbcee3c8870271ab32bba.jpg

f44935a73e88724fdbfdfb97005d3c86.jpg

Edited by Diedrich
  • Like 1

digger11

So, I'm just wondering what you've selected for a format to convert to?  In settings > conversion tasks > profile, not sure what profile I should try first with emby?

The type of hardware you have on your server may influence this decision.  On one of my servers we have a GTX 1050 TI.  On that server, using hardware acceleration, MCEBuddy can take a 1-hr MPEG2 program, strip it of commercials, and encode it to H.265 in ~ 15 minutes for a 720p, or ~ 20 minutes for a 1080p program.  The files end up with a bitrate of ~2Mbs and direct stream to my remote clients.

Diedrich

Ah, yes. My hardware is a Ryzen 5 1600 and a GTX 1050Ti. After some quick testing, I believe that 3 simultaneous conversations gives a good balance of heat production to maxing out the 12 Ryzen threads. I could get one more conversion if I had better airflow for my HTPC box; it's currently a bit starved due to the cabinet it's in.

speedingcheetah

In my testing....MCEbuddy is crap.

I tried it a few years ago...same experience and issues with the current version just yesterday i tried.

It simply doesn't work or work well when it works. (No matter use of combreak or showanlyzer)

I always trims to much, or misses entire commercial breaks, or just trims part of it. 

When it did manage to get the trim right, there is still about 3 secs of rouge audio in the blank parts.

It fails to even output a file when i put in it files from certain channels. (but it says it completed successfully)

And some channels, like Nat Geo WILD, cut straight to commercial with no fade or separation. (seriously, its one frame is show, next one is start of com break)

No surprise, mcebuddy fails to trim it.

Edited by speedingcheetah

Diedrich

That’s Comskip, not MCEBuddy. You would need to use the Comskip analyzer to tweak your shows and then set different profiles in MCEBuddy pointing to separate comskip.ini files for each show or network.

jasonmcroy

So, I'm just wondering what you've selected for a format to convert to?  In settings > conversion tasks > profile, not sure what profile I should try first with emby?

Just to add in my experience here, I used the "MKV Unprocessed" profile. That way it keeps the audio (5.1) intact. It essentially just changes the container and doesn't touch or change anything with the existing video or audio. I like to preserve that.

By the way, I don't cut commercials. Skipping forward through the commercials works just fine for me as long as the video file is in the MKV format. It is the only reason I use MCEBuddy, which is overkill but I don't know how to create a simple script file to use ffmpeg to do that for me. If I leave the video file as .ts from the recording then skipping is very slow in my experience.

• Like 1

Diedrich

Just to add in my experience here, I used the "MKV Unprocessed" profile. That way it keeps the audio (5.1) intact. It essentially just changes the container and doesn't touch or change anything with the existing video or audio. I like to preserve that.

Good to know! I haven't played around with other profiles, now would be a good time to test that.
  • Like 1

It was awesome integrated with Emby before, not so much now. The best way to use it is to recode the entire video and just use MCE Buddy to make chapter markers leaving the video untouched. You used to be able to skip chapters in Emby making it very convenient to use. Now skip chapter has become skip to the next file I suppose to appease the 8 people using Emby primarily for music. Makes absolutely no sense to me as chapter skip seems way more useful than skipping to the next file in 90% of use cases. A better approach IMO would be to make fast forward and rewind the track skip in music libraries only. I don't imagine too many people seek through songs. Alternatively you could make the controls specific to library type.

Edited by Bert
  • Like 2

JDeLuca

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info here.  My day job has been busy, and haven't had time to for this.  Truthfully, I just want to watch my shows lately and not to worried about commercials.  I'll probably play around some more after things settle down at work.

Luke restored chapter skip for Xbox One and Windows Theater at least so one can use chapter markers again. Nice job Luke.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...