delay when launching MBC

Deihmos
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Deihmos

Previously MBC loaded almost instantly but now on the server it pauses for about 6 seconds before it launches. The other clients do not show this behavior even though they are on much slower hardware. It isn't anything major but I am wondering if there is a reason for the delay on the server PC? The server PC specs are really good.

Deihmos

me too, square theme perchance??

I don't have that theme. I just did a clean install and the only theme currently installed is chocolate. Didn't make a difference.

Today it is much faster and loading almost instantly.

Edited by Deihmos

• Solution

The one machine appears to just be a little slower overall.  Does the htpc have an ssd and the other machine not?  That would be a large factor if so.

Otherwise, while it may seem counter-intuitive at first, the fact that the client on the same machine is a bit slower than the one on a remote machine may actually make some sense.

Our data payloads are actually pretty light so network transfer time may not be as much of a factor as you would think.  So, in the instance where you have the server remote, you have two complete machines doing the work in true parallel.  In the instance where the client and server are on the same machine, you have one machine doing both jobs of finding, processing and serving up the data as well as receiving and displaying it.  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
MikeyMan

I have the dame issue at the moment. Mbc used to start almost instantly. Now these is quite a delay. Did you manage to fix it?

I have the dame issue at the moment. Mbc used to start almost instantly. Now these is quite a delay. Did you manage to fix it?

Make sure you don't have MBC configured to automatically connect to a server address that is no longer valid.

Your MB server.  It is possible to tell MBC to connect to a specific one at a specific address.  If you did that and the address changed, we could be trying to connect to a server that isn't there and taking a while for it to time out.

MikeyMan

Although the ip address was changed, when i exchanged my routers, the ip address was set correctly in the configuration.

However; changing the address to localhost has decreased the startup delay hugely!

Thanks!

Not as intstant/snappy as i remembered, but around a second is acceptable.