Playback Freezing When Watching in Browser

Rohanaj

Rohanaj

Good evening,

I've run into an issue when accessing and watching media from a web browser, and didn't find a similar topic when searching the forums.  At seemingly random times, whatever video file is playing will freeze on the screen.  At that point, none of the controls on the screen work other than to hit the back arrow and get out of the video.  If I attempt to Resume the video, it will spin like it's trying to start it, but it won't start and I'm forced to close the browser completely.  Once I restart the browser and get back in, the same media file will resume normally.

This has happened both when connecting from an external IP address and on the local network.  I have only encountered this issue when playing in browsers (specifically Chrome, Firefox, and IE), not in other device apps.

@@Luke, I am sending a PM right now with my full log file from today.  The two time periods I know this occurred today are in the 2018-04-13 11:12 to 2018-04-13 11:18 time frame and the 2018-04-13 17:22 to 2018-04-13 17:28 time frame in the log.

Thanks for any help figuring this out.

-Rohanaj

Everything here is direct playing, and when that happens there isn't much we can do. The only thing I can really suggest is dropping the quality setting to force transcoding.

Happy2Play

Good evening,

I've run into an issue when accessing and watching media from a web browser, and didn't find a similar topic when searching the forums.  At seemingly random times, whatever video file is playing will freeze on the screen.  At that point, none of the controls on the screen work other than to hit the back arrow and get out of the video.  If I attempt to Resume the video, it will spin like it's trying to start it, but it won't start and I'm forced to close the browser completely.  Once I restart the browser and get back in, the same media file will resume normally.

This has happened both when connecting from an external IP address and on the local network.  I have only encountered this issue when playing in browsers (specifically Chrome, Firefox, and IE), not in other device apps.

@@Luke, I am sending a PM right now with my full log file from today.  The two time periods I know this occurred today are in the 2018-04-13 11:12 to 2018-04-13 11:18 time frame and the 2018-04-13 17:22 to 2018-04-13 17:28 time frame in the log.

Thanks for any help figuring this out.

-Rohanaj

So are other device apps transcoding?  

What is the connection type? Wired or Wireless

Rohanaj

So are other device apps transcoding?  

What is the connection type? Wired or Wireless

No, the other devices are direct playing most of the time as well. For example, I have yet to encounter this issue using my Roku, Android tablet, or Xbox One.

It has happened on both wired and wireless connections - in these instances it was wired on the external IP connection and wireless on the local network connection.

I can try dropping the quality to force transcoding. What could be the potential difference in terms of freezing for direct play vs transcoding?

Hard to say. The bitrate could be aggressive for the connection, so lowering can help. Also browser video players are very picky. Maybe they're just having some difficulty with these files, and transcoding can often correct that.

Rohanaj

Thanks Luke and Happy, I appreciate the responses.  I'll try it out with forcing transcoding for the next week or so and see what happens.

Rohanaj

Just out of curiosity, would either of you have an opinion on using the web app in a browser vs downloading/installing Emby Theater in terms of what has the potential for the smoothest functionality and fewest problems?