DrivePool

dcook

SHSPVR

@@SHSPVR

yes that's the one

has 8 otherwise you cant link your existing sas card to it

so 2 ports to connect your two ports on your existing card and the other 6 for 24 drives via breakout cables

the 9th is for external connection - but it assumes a tape drive - not tried to use it

As for JBOD that relies on your sas card not the expander

as its a very dumb card it "just" passes through the disks to the sas controller - works with 6TB disks no problem - not tried bigger but i doubt its limited

So if I under stand you right this LSI 9211 is the prime host controller loop back in to the HP sas expande as slaved controller is that right ?.

Edited by SHSPVR

PenkethBoy

drives are connected to the expander (it controls nothing other than being a port multiplier) - expander is connected to the lsi card via two sas cables

the expander - does not connect via pcie bus - just plugged in for power only

lsi card does all the work - i have mine in IT mode - so the os is doing the work

SHSPVR

What refer to is kind of like this is that right ?.

5ad2a7d51a6b9_0_13309440980Tj9gif.jpg

Edited by SHSPVR
  • Like 1

PenkethBoy

yep thats it

just use forward breakout cables from the expander to the disks

SHSPVR

yep thats it

just use forward breakout cables from the expander to the disks

Thanks

Guest asrequested

If you don't need 24, you can use two controllers. That's what I did. 16 drives off the SAS controllers, and then use the mobo SATA ports for extra stuff.

dcook

Another question to those of you who are using DrivePool or DriveBender:

Do you store your artwork in the media library folders?  or do you have your metadata and cache folders separate?

Right now I have them separate and I love it for the fact that my NAS stays in sleep mode until I actually select a movie/show and click play, only then does it spin up.

If I go with DrivePool or DriveBender I don't want the disks to be spinning all the time, so I guess I would need to do the same?

Guest asrequested

Drive pools behave like a single drive. Just pool your movie drives. I save all of mine with he media.

dcook

So yours are spinning all the time then?

Right now with my cache and metadata on separate SSDs my NAS stays asleep until you actually press play

Drive pools behave like a single drive. Just pool your movie drives. I save all of mine with he media.

CBers

Ditto.

Guest asrequested

So yours are spinning all the time then?

Right now with my cache and metadata on separate SSDs my NAS stays asleep until you actually press play

Yeah, they spin 24/7. But I think it's a Windows 10 thing. All three of my machines are the same, even drives that are on their own and not being read by Emby. I think windows 10 has a glitch. At some point, I'll probably upgrade to server 2016.

PenkethBoy

I have dp on 2012r2 and all my drives spin down fine - so same as your nas.

But IMO its better to have your images/nfo's etc with your media - and leave the cache on the machine with the emby server installed

yes - win10 does behave differently - but as i have ssd's and no HDD in win10 - i don't care

Actually having you disk  spin up and down too often is a bad thing for disk life - especially if they are NAS drives which are supposed to be on 24/7

• Like 1

dcook

Exactly,  That is what I am trying to figure out with DrivePool, right now my NAS stays powered down until someone actually clicks play on something, then it will power up.  This is because all my metadata and cache is on separate SSD's.  My assumption is that if I change it so my artwork is stored with my media that the drives will be power up much more often because it will need to access the artwork.

I have dp on 2012r2 and all my drives spin down fine - so same as your nas.

But IMO its better to have your images/nfo's etc with your media - and leave the cache on the machine with the emby server installed

yes - win10 does behave differently - but as i have ssd's and no HDD in win10 - i don't care

Actually having you disk  spin up and down too often is a bad thing for disk life - especially if they are NAS drives which are supposed to be on 24/7

PenkethBoy

dont think so - images (copies) are stored in the cache - which you keep local to the emby server

if the image is not in the cache - yes it will go to the media library to get it - but thats the same as now

dcook

Well right now I have nothing stored with my Media, its all on separate SSD's, so it would not be the same I don't think. 

I am thinking if I store the artwork with the Media then my drives will be spinning alot more often then they are now.

dont think so - images (copies) are stored in the cache - which you keep local to the emby server

if the image is not in the cache - yes it will go to the media library to get it - but thats the same as now

naeonline

I have mine setup like this:

DrivePool

-256GB SSD - TV/Movie Metadata and ext subs, no media files

-8TB HDD - TV Series (media files only)

-8TB HDD - TV Series (media files only)

-6TB HDD - Movies (media files only)

-6TB HDD - Movies (media files only)

500GB SSD - System & Emby Cache

60GB SSD - Emby Transcoding Temp

There's no way i'm going to rescrape metadata for ~40k tv episodes and ~2.5k movies off the internet anytime i have to rebuild a server (emby, plex, or other) so I have all the metadata and media saved locally and showing up together in the drive pool, but they are separated on the actual drives themselves (drivepool file filter works great).  I also process all my media files outside of the pool until they have the video/audio/sub streams in them how I want with embedded metadata then I copy them over to the drive directly, not the pool, so they have a greater chance of being written in a continuous chunk.  Having the metadata and external subs on the SSD instead of on the HDD with the media files helps with this.  Granted right now I have slow upstream internet so I'm not sharing with family externally anymore so I only have our 2 computers, 2 phones, and 2 rokus to feed so there is practically no transcoding.  Never have a problem direct streaming when my wife is watching something on 1, kids are watching on another and I'm watching on a third device.

Had used WHS drive pooling.  Was nice that drive data was accessible outside of the pool if the system crashed and you needed to extract from the pool drives, though it was a pain.  Then after WHSv2 essentially killed that off started using flexraid which was stable off and on, but never felt comfortable enough with the pooling and parity implementations they had.  Still seems like a mess over there with major changes.  Been using Drivepool and it's simple and exactly what i want.  I can control where files go on the individual drives, access them directly as I need and see everything together through the pool.

dcook

That brings me to my next question, if I were to use DrivePool or DriveBender and change the Emby setting so that my artwork is stored with my media, how to I ensure that my actual artwork files are stored on the same drive as the media is?

CharleyVarrick

If you're planning to have any redundancy I would avoid DrivePool for 10 drives.  Raid 5 allows you to lose 1 disk by sacrificing the storage capacity of 1 drive so the available storage would be 90% of your capacity.  Raid 6 allows you to lose 2 disks at the cost of 2 disks worth, leaving you with 80% of your capacity available. 

DrivePool though duplicates everything to give redundancy, so it's a 50% loss.  You'd only have the available storage of 5 of your drives.  

The OP could use DrivePool just for its pooling feature and Raid for redundancy. They're not exclusive, aren't they?

dcook

I don't need RAID if I have DrivePool or Drive Bender as I understand there is 2 copies of everything.  Plus I have a separate backup anyhow. 

Raid is the bottleneck right now that I am planing to eliminate.

Happy2Play

I don't need RAID if I have DrivePool or Drive Bender as I understand there is 2 copies of everything.  Plus I have a separate backup anyhow. 

Raid is the bottleneck right now that I am planing to eliminate.

As long as you enable duplication, then yes.  You can have as many copies as you have drives in the pool/

CharleyVarrick

But DrivePool's duplication feature is optional; I don't enable it myself, as I have 2 mirrored server.