NVENC enable with Nvidia Quadro P4000

djjohnnyb
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

djjohnnyb
hello !,

we have completed the installation of emby server on ubuntu 17 machine and we have installed the nvidia drivers for the p4000 board, unfortunately also setting from the transcoding menu of emby with NVENC is not performed on GPU but on CPU, while using the following command on the same machine the NVENC hardware transcoding is performed correctly:

"time ffmpeg -i /home/utente/film.mkv -acodec copy -vcodec nvenc /home/utente/test.mp4"

What operation should we perform to make the NVENC hardware transcoding work on Emby?

Thanks in advance!

post-176793-0-86522100-1523402442_thumb.png

post-176793-0-71481700-1523402452_thumb.png

Hi welcome. there's nothing wrong here. It's stream copying the original video without any transcoding. Why do you feel that something is wrong?

djjohnnyb

in the first image you see written "play method: transcoding", the transcoding is done correctly but via CPU and not through GPU...

djjohnnyb

Hi welcome. there's nothing wrong here. It's stream copying the original video without any transcoding. Why do you feel that something is wrong?

in the first image you see written "play method: transcoding", the transcoding is done correctly but via CPU and not through GPU...

I understand, but the command line example you shows contains no transcoding at all:

"time ffmpeg -i /home/utente/film.mkv -acodec copy -vcodec nvenc /home/utente/test.mp4"

Can you please attach the ffmpeg log from an example? thanks.

djjohnnyb

I understand, but the command line example you shows contains no transcoding at all:

Can you please attach the ffmpeg log from an example? thanks.

I attach the ffmpeg log to emby with a screenshot of the transcoding settings ...

Log.txt

post-176793-0-82245000-1523474754_thumb.png

• Solution

It's because the ffmpeg build included with Emby in your version of the server does not include nvenc libraries. They have been added for the next release. Thanks.

• Like 1

djjohnnyb

It's because the ffmpeg build included with Emby in your version of the server does not include nvenc libraries. They have been added for the next release. Thanks.

ok, thanks you, in the meantime you can use a version of external ffmpeg install on ubuntu ?, in the transcoding section there is not the possibility to set a different version of ffmpeg, while on debian it is possible ...

In releases of emby server that pre-bundle ffmpeg, the configuration won't be there.