Refresh Episode metadata after added to library

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I know there is already the option to update the metadata of a library every 30, 60, or 90 days.

The problem is when new TV episodes are added to the library before the metadata provider has a chance to add the information, often things like the episode title or the plot are missing. The information is usually up to date a few hours later. It would be great if TV episodes could be refreshed automatically at a set interval, say 6 hours, after being added to the library. 

• Like 9

ginjaninja

+1, now we have 30,60,90 day 'backstop' it would be good to have some more sophistication to populating missing metadata...the ops use case is i believe the most pressing too.

'air date' (if known) or more likely (when no external metadata) 'date/time added' to library would drive priority of what needed a refresh whilst balancing load on external providors, bandwidth utilisation and emby server.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

RobWayBro

I am curious, does the setting "Enable real time monitoring" perform this function?

5acfafc6920a1_realtime.png

• 6 months later...
Jdiesel

Any chance this can be visited? Running a second scan automatically 6 hours after a TV episode was added would be so helpful. Last Week Tonight is a common example for me where the show is added to my library before the metadata is available.

• 4 weeks later...
Jdiesel

Is it possible to initiate a refresh metadata request for a library via the API? I wasn't able to see anything in the documentation. I'm looking to create a script that I can use to update metadata at a regular interval in the meantime.

Edit:

I found the ItemRefreshService but the only options for MetadataRefreshMode are default and fullrefresh. Is there and option for search for missing metadata?

Edited by Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I was able to setup a cron job using a curl command to update metadata at a set interval. Best part is that I am able to create multiple requests at a series level, by using the series ID, to only update problematic series and not hammer the metadata providers with full library request.

Only issue I ran into was that the curl command requires a data parameter to be included, adding

-d ""

was the trick to getting the curl command to work.

If anyone wants to do something similar have a look to the ItemRefreshService in the Swagger API and use Chrome's console to determine the ID of the library/items you want to refresh

Edited by Jdiesel

• 2 weeks later...
ginjaninja

[3.6.0.73] slightly off topic, but i added a movie library today of ~2000 movies, and about 1% of collection images were not downloaded (presumably due to timeouts/congestion), even though the collection poster existed, 6 hours (eg) after adding  maybe emby could have retried the collections that did not get a clear 'no poster exists' signal from [all] the provider.

[3.6.0.73] slightly off topic, but i added a movie library today of ~2000 movies, and about 1% of collection images were not downloaded (presumably due to timeouts/congestion), even though the collection poster existed, 6 hours (eg) after adding  maybe emby could have retried the collections that did not get a clear 'no poster exists' signal from [all] the provider.

Please see how to report a problem. Thanks.

• 2 years later...
amb13

Sorry to pull up an old topic, but did this ever get resolved. I'm running into this and as far as I can tell I now have to manually update the series/episodes where the meta data is missing.

On 6/27/2021 at 7:25 AM, amb13 said:

Sorry to pull up an old topic, but did this ever get resolved. I'm running into this and as far as I can tell I now have to manually update the series/episodes where the meta data is missing.

Hi there, can you please go over an example? Thanks.

amb13

When the last Loki episode came out it was only added as episode 3 with a picture from screengrabber and not much more. Had manually refresh for missing metadata and the episode image.

Happy2Play

Well technically you would have to enable "After the initial import, automatically refresh metadata from the internet:", but this is a Defect of provider not having or info has not hit the api at the time you added the media to Emby.

But a option to do a one time update x hours or days after import would/should solve the Provider Defect as TVDB takes 24 hour to process all updated metadata and image (at least they do right now, TMDB is not that slow).

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, can you please go over an example? Thanks.

The Loki example is discussed in another topic (would solve this manual refresh requirement).  In the Loki example the next episode still shows TBA and will probably not be updated until the airdate.  So you have to wait an additional 24 hours to get metadata.

amb13

A one time option would indeed be nice. There is a little less use in getting metadata automatically when you have to go back afterwards and manually refresh it.

This also happend with all episodes of the latest season of Bosch last week.

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, amb13 said:

This also happend with all episodes of the latest season of Bosch last week.

I waited 24 hours before importing it as I knew TVDB was updated the day it became available, not before.  In the end you are spamming a site more then once do to the fact they did not have the info at the time of import.

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, amb13 said:

Yeah, waiting 24 hours isn't really  a solution.

Either way you have to wait so waiting to import or waiting for metadata.  So in the end if it is about watching media then metadata is really irrelevant.

But with TVDB becoming subscription based as of October, they need to up their game.

Happy2Play

Using the Loki example the episode for 30 June still shows TBA with no overview on TVDB so odds are not metadata until sometime on 1 July requiring a manual refresh.

TMDB shows Episode 4 with no overview, but haven't looked at their api update time in awhile.

Edits are posted immediately on the website. They can take up to 12 hours to propagate to the API.

Yea we probably need a dedicated short term refresh option for new episodes to handle this situation.

diogee
On 29/06/2021 at 02:44, Happy2Play said:

But a option to do a one time update x hours or days after import would/should solve the Provider Defect as TVDB takes 24 hour to process all updated metadata and image (at least they do right now, TMDB is not that slow).

+1 to this
I'd rather not use the "refresh every 30/60/90 days" library options as that's overkill in my opinion, I don't need every added item refreshed repeatedly.
Instead I currently use a Scripter-X plugin to trigger a script I threw together which refreshes an added episode a few days after it is initially scanned into emby.
Doesn't always work but seems to do the trick at least 90% of the time.
I originally did this to fetch thumbnail images for anime/tv shows as I dont like how emby uses embeded art for episode thumbs (if its available) and extracting thumbs from video usually gives a poor quality thumbnail as well so I prefer fetching from a metadata provider but as it takes a few days for thumbnails/ episode information to pop up in providers, had to throw something together myself

Something native to Emby would definitely be very beneficial and much appreciated