EMBY built into Router?? Plex is.

robertn78

robertn78

Hello,

I have a Win 10 Server.  I have a cousin looking for a media solution.  He does not want a computer.  But wants it built into the router.  Is this possible?

Plex has a version.  I do not know if it is any good.  Just for reference.  I saw an old thread on this but didn't sound like it was a serious conversation at the time.

https://www.netgear.com/landings/plex/

dcrdev

Possible? Yes

Available? No

It depends whether the router in question uses a supported architecture, supports third party plugins / can be flashed with an unofficial firmware that can i.e. dd-wrt. Also consider how much performance you're going to get out of a router, which often use very underpowered arm cpus - that Nighthawk router is extremely powerful in the context of a consumer router but is fairly mediocre when compared with the average SoC boards that are available today.

I would just build a cheap x64 rig and shove Linux on it for a cheap-as-chips highly competent media server. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
dcook

Or you can spend $50 and get a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick, both of which would work much better then trying to use a Router

Edited by dcook

WilhelmStroker

Or you can spend $50 and get a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick, both of which would work much better then trying to use a Router

I think the requirement is to have the server running on the router, neither roku or the fire stick can do that...Having run plex on a severely underpowered NAS for a while, it wasn't a great experience at all. It's great that it's possible but don't expect any transcoding. Maybe a Shield with the android server is an option, although still beta.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
kyromatiks
On 4/10/2018 at 12:10 PM, Luke said:

Not at this time, but it's possible for the future. Thanks.

Its been a couple of years. Any updates on this?

41 minutes ago, kyromatiks said:

No, although we do have server packages for other Netgear devices.

Gilgamesh_48

The "built in" Functionality of Plex on routers or other such devices is pretty poor. Where there is overlap with Emby in every case I have seen Emby on those devices is better than Plex but is still barely acceptable.

The only "non-standard" device I know of where Emby's performance is acceptable is on the Shield. Plex on the same device is pretty much unacceptable.

While there is a drive to minimize or simplify Emby and the home network I do not believe that the server is the place for that. Mid-power PCs are cheap and that is all that is needed for a decent Emby server unless you are going to serve several remote users or keep your movies in formats that require extensive transcoding.

Gilgamesh_48
3 hours ago, kyromatiks said:

Thanks for the response. I was trying to avoid having a server by just plugging a hard drive into my router.

While that might seem an attractive option keep in mind that severs tend to grow in needed space as they age and as we add more movies. I do not know about the router you are using but most cannot use more than two drives and that is a max, under current drive sizes of 26tb. That assumes that your router will support the really large drives.

There are many advantages of having a sort of "hidden" device running Emby but there are also many disadvantages. Be very careful about trying to run a server on under powered and/or under sized devices.

8 hours ago, kyromatiks said:

If you are after what the OP of the topic is after, a small, hidden, server then why not use a Raspberry Pi? Small, low power consumption and can be placed behind a TV or in a draw or undeneath your router.

rbjtech

If he just wants to stream the occasional file - then DLNA is designed to do just that and most routers these days have some sort of DLNA capability - you don't need emby or any other 'server'.

The downside is of course the 'visual' experience is not great - but it will work ..

• 2 weeks later...
notla49285

Unless you've got an amazing router this seems like terrible hardware to try to run any kind of server on, let alone a media server...

• 7 months later...
danlat1415

Bring up an old thread again?

Any update on whether it is possible to run Emby server of a Netgear R9000 router?

I currently run Plex server on it and it works perfectly fine for my use (local viewing only, and no transcoding, as playing on TV on a Roku Ultra 4K Dolby Vision. So everything direct plays.

I also have a very old 8TB (Gen2) WD MyCloud which is able to run Emby server but only has a single core 800MHz CPU. That works fine as an Emby server for my use, as there is no transcoding needed at all.

However when I'm also using the MyCloud for other things, that's when the 800MHz CPU struggles with file transfers etc, as it's maxing out, which is to be expected.

That's why I was hoping to have Emby Server running on the R9000 router, as it has a Quad core 1.7GHz CPU and will be more than enough to cope with what I want it for.

Would it be possible?

I don't mind running stock firmware, or custom firmware such as Voxel's or DD-WRT.

10 hours ago, danlat1415 said:

Bring up an old thread again?

Any update on whether it is possible to run Emby server of a Netgear R9000 router?

I currently run Plex server on it and it works perfectly fine for my use (local viewing only, and no transcoding, as playing on TV on a Roku Ultra 4K Dolby Vision. So everything direct plays.

I also have a very old 8TB (Gen2) WD MyCloud which is able to run Emby server but only has a single core 800MHz CPU. That works fine as an Emby server for my use, as there is no transcoding needed at all.

However when I'm also using the MyCloud for other things, that's when the 800MHz CPU struggles with file transfers etc, as it's maxing out, which is to be expected.

That's why I was hoping to have Emby Server running on the R9000 router, as it has a Quad core 1.7GHz CPU and will be more than enough to cope with what I want it for.

Would it be possible?

I don't mind running stock firmware, or custom firmware such as Voxel's or DD-WRT.

Hi, does the netgear router allow installing other third party apps?

sfatula

BTW - tvheadend does run on routers and is part of the entware package list. I've seen people using it on at least Asus routers.