Xbox One X not direct playing HEVC

AndyBak

AndyBak

Evening all, just replaced my old Xbox One for a new Xbox One X with one of the reasons the support for x265 content however when trying to play a 1080p HEVC file through ET the server is transcoding the file rather than direct play.

Tried the same file with Ember for Emby which does direct play the file but with no sound, any ideas what the issue is?

FYI the Xbox is set to bitstream out to my amp and I've also attached the log files.

server-63658910664.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-ed2505cc-98dd-4598-adcc-e0a4c9ca6458.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-ee8ebbbf-102a-4bac-9efd-98560e27cfd8.txt

Strange. This one looks like it tried to direct play, but then the player reported an error so it automatically switched to transcoding. 

AndyBak

Well it seems it's the media I was throwing at it, the x265 content I've been testing with wouldn't play however downloaded some new content and it played flawlessly. What is odd though is the content not playing on the Xbox One X is playing in my daughters Xbox One S. Will try and do some more testing and post logs from both.

On the upside now have 4K content via Emby!  B)

• 5 months later...
jasonsimth

Evening all, just replaced my old Xbox One for a new Xbox One X with one of the reasons the support for x265 content however when trying to play a 1080p HEVC file through ET the server is transcoding the file rather than direct play.

Tried the same file with Ember for Emby which does direct play the file but with no sound, any ideas what the issue is?

FYI the Xbox is set to bitstream out to my amp and I've also attached the log files.

Am facing the same problem. Hope anyone here can help me too. Thanks in advance. Regards,
Edited by jasonsimth

goose1701

I am getting the same issues with HEVC transcoding on the Xbox One as well. Not only that but it's transcoding down to a lower quality. 1080p to 720p, 720p to 480p, ect. Same files will direct play on other clients with zero issues.

ffmpeg-transcode-50fc844c-38a9-431a-935d-496e2eaac9ee.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-15649e65-0e3e-4a27-a87e-226050c2f5e7.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-fffe23d4-f8b7-4c60-9bbf-79fa83405f2b.txt

embyserver.txt