Fix audio delay

Askbruzz

adammcewen

I just got a fire hd 8 tablet and the audio delay to my headphones was an issue right away. Figured I'd share in case anyone else comes searching.

The easiest, though not as integrated with emby, solution that I found, is to install vlc media player and change your emby client settings to allow external players. Then load up a video and hit the 3 dot menu and choose the audio delay option.

Hey Luke, if you guys are looking to bring this type of feature to emby, could you do something similar to vlc where they leave the delay controls on screen until you click something to accept the delay? I found that interface setup was very easy to use and made it quick to fix the problem and get back to the video. One suggestion though would be to allow the user to move the +/- control screen around if it's a touch screen. Hard to fix the delay if the mouths happen to be under the controls.

paulbovbel

Over the past 6 months or so, successive emby builds have either broken bluetooth audio sync, or wired audio sync. I just keep having to switch headphones...

• 3 months later...
JohnnyFiama

Having switched from Kodi (with a DLNA backend) I do now miss the ability to offset audio. 

Emby is great in so many ways, but I agree with others that we need this feature, however rarely used it might be for the devs, there is a definate use case for others.

Yes, this is still something we'd like to do and I wish we could convince Google of it's use-case :).

• 6 months later...
Psyborg

I need this feature regularly for another use case:

Watching dubbed movies I often notice that the dubbed audio track is not in sync. This is very annoying and constantly irritating! With an adjustable audio delay this would be easy to fix.

So I am hoping for that feature very intensely. 

If there is no solution by Google on the way, why not sending the information about delaying (+/-) to the server and let it do the work? The user interface could warn the user that the movie will transcode in such a situation.

maegibbons

+1 again for sending a request to server to transcode with ffmpeg using desired offset.

You dont care about it transcoding if without the offset the media is unwatchable!!

Its a last resort thing but the option should be there!

Its been years now, so perhaps this cam have some attention!!

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We plan to offer an audio delay in the future. We are working as hard and as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks !

Any developments on this? Kodi and MrMC have audio delay options. If Emby for Android gets it, it would amazing to have seperate delays for 23-25 fps like the Windows app.

Hi. This is something still on our list but it isn't directly supported by the player we use so it will probably take some extensive customization by us.

maegibbons

So why not do it through the server like we talked about before?

Save you all the work?

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

So why not do it through the server like we talked about before?

Save you all the work?

Krs

Mark

Because that would limit the codecs it would work for and require remuxing everything - which no one would be happy with.

maegibbons

Because that would limit the codecs it would work for and require remuxing everything - which no one would be happy with.

Thats not true....remuxing eveything!!!!

Generally this option does NOT need to be used at all.

It would only need to be used occasionally when you have a problem file.

Everybody would be happy that they can now enjoy that file rather than just discarding it because it is unwatchable because

of the sync issue.

I.e its an option of last resort not every day use.

People will gladly accept a remux/transcode to play a problem file correctly.

Please get this in!

AND what codecs could you not do it with?

Krs

Mark

Thats not true....remuxing eveything!!!!

Generally this option does NOT need to be used at all.

It would only need to be used occasionally when you have a problem file.

Everybody would be happy that they can now enjoy that file rather than just discarding it because it is unwatchable because

of the sync issue.

I.e its an option of last resort not every day use.

People will gladly accept a remux/transcode to play a problem file correctly.

Please get this in!

AND what codecs could you not do it with?

Krs

Mark

I meant anything that required this adjustment would need to be remuxed.

It would then limit the resultant audio to what can be delivered via HLS so no advanced audio I would imagine (TrueHD, DTSHD, etc.).

In reality, the issue should be fixed permanently in the file itself by re-muxing it but, otherwise, the best place will be in the player.

maegibbons

I meant anything that required this adjustment would need to be remuxed.

It would then limit the resultant audio to what can be delivered via HLS so no advanced audio I would imagine (TrueHD, DTSHD, etc.).

In reality, the issue should be fixed permanently in the file itself by re-muxing it but, otherwise, the best place will be in the player.

I really think you are missing the MAIN point of this feature.

Its to QUICKLY fix a badly synced media file so that it can be CONSUMED

STEREO will do if thats the best that can be done.

I agree if you were going to archive the file you would adjust it outside of emby.

As a big media CONSUMER, i just want to be able to adjust it NOW so I can make the file watchable and move on.

YOU have not got the time to fix the player BUT several hours of code between you and luke could FIX this to 90% of peoples satisfaction.

Krs

Mark

Psyborg

I really think you are missing the MAIN point of this feature.

Its to QUICKLY fix a badly synced media file so that it can be CONSUMED

STEREO will do if thats the best that can be done.

Absolutely, that's the point!

• 9 months later...
jglazer63

I have a number of videos I cannot watch with emby because audio delay is missing.  Starting to look at Kodi again, unfortunately.  Hopefully this is added in very soon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
johnnyflet

Just bought a month to try emby out - coming from MrMC. Just realized it doesn't have such a simple feature! I need to adjust audio sync to account for my speakers, I would've never though this would be the reason I don't switch over to emby.. MrMC has it, come on guys..

jglazer63
9 hours ago, johnnyflet said:

Just bought a month to try emby out - coming from MrMC. Just realized it doesn't have such a simple feature! I need to adjust audio sync to account for my speakers, I would've never though this would be the reason I don't switch over to emby.. MrMC has it, come on guys..

I agree Johnny except that this is free software and they are working on a zero budget so I am being patient (or trying to be).  I keep Kodi or VLC on one machine so I can watch videos that have sync issues because of this.  Not a good solution but at least I can watch it.  From what I read, this used to be a feature in Emby but was lost due to something or other.  I hope it gets back in soon too!

• 10 months later...
AlexanderEmby
On 12/12/2018 at 2:26 PM, Luke said:

Thanks for the info.

Currently any media I play through emby on a tv, no Bluetooth device used has the audio delayed a few seconds. I need to undo this or adjust the audio to sync it up properly. The files I am watching had no issues a couple days ago. Now every video file I watch on my tv has a delay. 

8 hours ago, AlexanderEmby said:

The files I am watching had no issues a couple days ago. Now every video file I watch on my tv has a delay. 

Hi.  What changed in that time period?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/3/2023 at 1:44 AM, Luke said:

On a per video basis, right?

That would be great... 

I also have this issue with bluetooth headphones...

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
amazingstories

Hello Luke.

Audio delay is a frequently adjustable need. Most system players have this like VLC. It has to do with network latency as well as whether it's bluetooth or not. My devices deliver off a NAS on Gigabit ethernet from USB 3.0 off a SATA III storage device. Emby itself is collecting the data and adjusting the playback stream. And sometimes the recording itself is just off.

Watching playback of DS9 in emby, the audio is off by almost 1s.

After download to local, the audio delay required is 0.5s in VLC. As you can see, the situation is compounded and depends on many factors including the original latency.

Any ideas on how to adjust the player to allow for delaying audio? Or am I stuck with only watching on VLC after download?

Thanks.