Fix audio delay

Askbruzz

Askbruzz

Hello,

With the last update I have no idea how adjust the audio delay. In The past version there was a controller to adjust the audio delay by +/- 100ms but now no. How I can make this?

Another question.

my nas can't go in hibernation mode but I can't understand why. I have read all post about that but with no success

Edited by Askbruzz

Hi.  Sorry, we don't have control over audio delay anymore.

What is the reason this was needed?

Askbruzz

If i can, why this features it's no more available?

I have a tv series with problem with audio sync and i have to adjust the delay with a -400ms.

Hi.  We updated the internal player to improve many other things but lost this ability in the process.

It should be very rare to have to manage this at the player end.

kanipek

I love the improvements. At some point it would be great to have this capability return. The thing I used it for was for listening over bluetooth speakers/headphones. I don't know why but I need to add a slight delay (250ms) when I do this for the audio to be in sync. Not a huge deal for me personally, but it would be great to have that back at some point - as long as it doesn't negate the other improvements that have been made.

If anyone knows why that delay happens or a cure for that please do let me know - I just chalked it up to the way it worked.

Askbruzz

Hi.  We updated the internal player to improve many other things but lost this ability in the process.

It should be very rare to have to manage this at the player end.

Thanks

:(

If anyone knows why that delay happens or a cure for that please do let me know - I just chalked it up to the way it worked.

Bluetooth adds a fair amount of latency.  Some devices or receivers have the ability to compensate for this.

• 3 months later...
psybertech

Bump... 

I just noticed this was removed after watching some old Stargate SG-1.

It is rare it is needed, but I would love to see this option return.

If I tell FireTV there are playback issues, it then starts to transcode... this can make the audio delay better sometimes, but not always perfect.

It would be nice that if a playback issue is reported, the audio delay option appears after and then we can then adjust... then have ffmpeg use, I believe this is the correct switch, -itsoffset XXX we enter to try to fix. Its probably more complicated than that of course.

I understand there would be a few pauses while it goes to transcoding then after transcoding starts to then go and tell it to change the delay and then wait for the new transcoding stream to get ready, but overall, the wait would be worth it.

I think I only see this on old rips of DVDs for the most part, but when it happens, it is a bit annoying even if only off by as little as 200 ms (sometimes less, sometimes more depending on video quality that is)... its like watching a bad ventriloquist. :)

Anyway... would love to see some sort of support for FireTV return for this.

Thanks

j

psybertech

So you'd like to be able to configure an audio delay?

Luke,

Yes, please!

I admit it is rare overall for my somewhat large collection, but with something like a series where the audio may need a delay offset (+ or -) and the series has 10, 20 or 100+ episodes, the feature is needed. The necessity of the feature only increases when binge watching a show where it has possible underlying issues (original encoding issues I know) that may vary from device to device and you are watching nothing but that series back to back for a while. It is probably not as important on one-offs, but it can get a little tiring after a few back-to-back episodes.

I know I can re-encode my stuff, but without testing on every possible device, I don't know if one offset delay would work. That is where the on-the-fly offset inside the FireTV player would be extremely useful... just let the transcoder kick in and use my one-time setting for the show(or movie) in question once it was flagged as not playing properly.

Anyway... thanks!!!

J

It just isn't something Google is interested in implementing.  We can look into trying to customize it ourselves but I've been trying to move away from these types of customizations to make staying up to date easier.

kanipek

Some form of Audio delay really is needed.

I don't have audio sync issues with encoding, but as stated earlier using Bluetooth Speakers/Headphones is pretty much impossible without it.

This feature has come and gone as I recall and it really does need to return and on a permanent basis.

On the fly adjustment I think would be most helpful to the majority of users - something similar to Kodi - if memory serves correclty Kodi actually remembers what adjustment you make for a specific video, or you can set a default delay. But for the Bluetooth audio delay issue an option in settings would suffice +/- 500ms would suffice.

My two cents.

I agree that an audio delay setting is still pretty necessary. Even better would be different delays for 23-25 fps content, like the Windows app has, which is a fantastic and extremely useful feature.

75VezNk.png

Edited by Xorp

maegibbons

Can it not be done through ffmpeg server side as someone suggested.  That would avoid hacking around with exo or any other player.

Krs

Mark

Can it not be done through ffmpeg server side as someone suggested.  That would avoid hacking around with exo or any other player.

Not if we are direct playing, which this app does for most content.

maegibbons

Not if we are direct playing, which this app does for most content.

Obviously, but thats the point.  If the audio sync makes it unwatchable you wont mind it transcoding.

Its not the first choice but a needed option when you have a sync issue. 

I had this issue a few weeks ago and was disappointed when I found the option had gone after spending 30 minutes over all apps searching for it.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 1

NAKR1987

This is such a basic requirement that I'm absolutely dumbfounded that it's not available - so much so in fact that it is forcing me to head back to using Plex!

My current home entertainment setup introduces a 350ms delay to all files played - regardless. 

Most AV enthusiasts will end up with some situation whereby audio is offset for some reason other than source encoding. Almost every single media solution offers this functionality - but not Emby!?

Nate

• Like 1

We plan to offer an audio delay in the future. We are working as hard and as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very much looking forward to this feature. I mainly use bluetooth headphones while on my Android phone and the audio delay they produce makes watching videos on Emby a non-starter.

Edited by poweld

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
kanipek

I have found a solution to this issue that works for my Nvidia Shield. Should work for any Android device I would think.

There is a metronome app by Soundbrenner. In the settings for the app there is an Audio Latency adjustment. By using that setting I adjusted the delay to -210ms and seems to have worked listing/watching right now.

It is Android - so I had to sideload on the Shield, a little wonkyness using the interface, nothing to severe at all.

So if your Bluetooth setup does not have an adjustment for this delay - This should do the job for you. Spread the word!