HDR grey bars

guymyer

guymyer

My 4k HDR content is showing grey bars on top/bottom instead of black. Other apps dont have this issue so I'm assuming it's an emby thing instead of a TV issue. I see older posts on this issue but no solutions, is this being worked on?

I have a Sony Bravia, so using Android TV app. I've tried beta and release.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hi.  We have not discovered any reason for this.  When the other topic went quiet I assumed people had solved it with their TV settings.

guymyer

Well issue still exists, at least for me. Instead of solid black, I get grey bars. There are darker blacks in my movies, so this is quite distracting. I notice the color adjustments when I start a movie.

• 1 month later...
guymyer

Well... I'm still having this issue but after lots of research I've found the cause and hoping emby can add a fix of some sort. 

Issue is HDR uses a brighter backlight, so if a videos aspect ratio doesn't fill the tv you'll see the backlight turn the empty space gray. Say you have a 21:9 video playing on a 16:9 tv, the empty space isn't filled with black properly. It's as if the pixels are just off, so you see the backlight come through. If you reencode the video with black padding the issue is resolved. That's why some videos will show black while others don't show true black.

Is it possible to have emby add black padding to help fill the screen? 

guymyer

To add... If I use kodi with emby plugin, there is black bars for her files. So this definitely could be fixed software side. I hope so because I'd much rather use emby native app than kodi.

Oddbin

Thought it worth pointing out that I also have this issue. I get the same issue no matter the 4k HDR file I used. I have tested several files from the likes of 4kmedia.org and a few from the kodi wiki. Netflix and Amazon are fine as is using Kodi/SPMC as the player. Emby has this issue as does Plex I believe.

Device being used is a KD55X8509C, running android tv 7.0, with the latest Emby server and client.

Let me know if you need any more info that can help us track this issue down.

Edit: Added the Android TV OS version.

Edited by Oddbin

• 4 months later...

I'm using a Sony A1 oled tv and I have the same issue with grey bars instead of black bar letterboxes when playing HDR10 content.

Is there a solution for this issue or a solution in the works?

Some more info:

The issue persists when using VLC as external player in Emby.

But not when playing the videos directly with the Sony stock video player.

The Sony player is however not shown as an option when 'Use External Player for Videos' is set in Emby.

The Sony player is however not shown as an option when 'Use External Player for Videos' is set in Emby.

Because it isn't an Android App I would imagine.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
TheMafia

Just letting you guys know that I am having the exact same issue. TV is a Sony KD-75x8500e. Latest Emby server and Android app for my TV. 

The grey bars are too distracting. I hope you can find a fix.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Latest Sony firmware update to android 8 solved the hdr grey bar issue on my Sony A1...

YAY!

Thanks for letting us know.

• 4 weeks later...
r32godzilla

Cool will have to check my Sony x9000f. Still had grey bars other night and I thought it auto updates Android.

• 3 weeks later...
HanzoX7

Latest Sony firmware update to android 8 solved the hdr grey bar issue on my Sony A1...

Hi,

I'm running the latest firmware for my XBR-55X805E and I get the grey bars when playing HDR content on the latest Emby app for Android TV... TV's firmware version is v6.6520, which can be found here.

Kodi, the stock Video app nor the Netflix app suffer from this.

That page lists an A1 model, just not sure if maybe it's for a different one that got a different firmware addressing that issue. Could you share what's the model of your A1 so I can raise it in their support forum?

• 4 weeks later...
r32godzilla

Yeah sorry to burst the bubble here but the issue is still occuring on my X9000f. After doing some more testing the issue is with H265 HDR files that have a vertical resolution of less that 2160 pixels. ie 3840 x 1600 etc. 3840 x 2160 videos are fine. Hopefully this helps give the devs more info to go on towards getting a fix for this.

Cheers!

Edited by r32godzilla

• 6 months later...
HanzoX7

Yesterday, I was fiddling with some HDR movies and noticed the lack of grey bars. I was surprised by this and checked the release notes. The 1.7.92 version of the Emby Android TV mentions "Work around Sony gray bar problem on HDR cropped content", which is AMAZING. I want to take the time to thank you for the work. It's probably not easy to work around the crap that TV manufacturers do, specially Sony.

My premiere subscription is up in a few weeks and this certainly makes it worth the renewal.  :D

Edited by HanzoX7
  • Like 1

Yesterday, I was fiddling with some HDR movies and noticed the lack of grey bars. I was surprised by this and checked the release notes. The 1.7.92 version of the Emby Android TV mentions "Work around Sony gray bar problem on HDR cropped content", which is AMAZING. I want to take the time to thank you for the work. It's probably not easy to work around the crap that TV manufacturers do, specially Sony.

My premiere subscription is up in a few weeks and this certainly makes is worth the renewal.  :D

Thanks for the feedback !