Problem with separating libraries

jonomite

jonomite

I recently added a new video library to Emby. After Emby for Kodi synced with my server, my "Movies" menu in Kodi was displaying both movies and the new video library, which I didn't want. So, I decided to download a new Kodi skin that allows me to customize the home screen shortcuts. FWIW, I downloaded Aeon Nox.

I find however that I'm having trouble getting the behavior I want. I am trying to setup a new home screen item that links exclusively to my Movies library (without including the new video library). As the custom shortcut, I am using "Add-on -> Video add-on -> Emby -> Movies -> Movies. However, when I click on movies, I get a window saying "Scanning media information" (or something to that effect) and it sits there for a few minutes. Eventually, it finishes, but the screen only displays a list of movie posters with the titles "1, 2, 3" etc. It's definitely not the normal movie library display that I'm used to. 

I then tried a different custom shortcut: I used "Add-on -> video add-on -> Emby -> Movies." When I do that, and click on movies on my home screen, I'm taken to the Emby add-on menu, where I can then select "Movies" and then they display properly. So it works this way, but I have to go through an extra layer to get to my movies library.

I'd like to avoid having to open the add-on menu first and then clicking on movies. How can I do that? Am I doing something wrong?

jonomite

After some more tinkering, I think I found a solution. Instead of pointing the shortcut to a movie library, I am pointing it to the applicable Emby playlist. That seems to be doing the trick.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Angelblue05

Hmm, which skin did you end up going with?

It should allow you to properly select the shortcut of your choice if you go via add-ons > video add-ons > emby > etc.

Playlist are another way of doing this, you can also create your own smart playlist if you want to refine your home screen.

jonomite

Hmm, which skin did you end up going with?

It should allow you to properly select the shortcut of your choice if you go via add-ons > video add-ons > emby > etc.

Playlist are another way of doing this, you can also create your own smart playlist if you want to refine your home screen.

I stuck with Aeon Nox.

I am able to select a custom shortcut. The issue is that going through the video add-on menu results in the two scenarios described above: in one instance, I am sent to a library without any metadata, and in the second, I have to click twice in order to access my movie library (once on the home screen and then on "movies" from the Emby menu).

With the playlist option, I'm able to go directly to my movie library with one click from the homescreen.

Is the result I describe in my OP not the expected result? If not, I wonder where the issue is? FWIW I did try a different skin (Emminence) and had the same result as described in my OP.

Angelblue05

Nope it is not the expected behavior for when going through add-ons. If you go through videos > emby, what you described does happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonomite

Nope it is not the expected behavior for when going through add-ons. If you go through videos > emby, what you described does happen.

Okay. I'll try again tonight and report back. What is the exact custom shortcut I should use?

Angelblue05

Well if you tell me you can go deeper into add-ons > video add-ons > emby > movies > movies for example, then I'll look at making changes to resolve this. Thanks :)

jonomite

Well if you tell me you can go deeper into add-ons > video add-ons > emby > movies > movies for example, then I'll look at making changes to resolve this. Thanks :)

I followed this step by step. Here's what happens:

When I click on movies from the home screen, a Windows pops up entitled "scanning media information." Inside the window, I see the following text "Loading media information from files." It sits there for about 30 seconds or so. Then, when it completes, I see a list of movie posters without any metadata. The only thing displayed are the numbers 1, 2, 3, etc. instead of the titles, and the length of the movie. No other metadata.

I'm really confounded by this one!

EDIT: I've also tried this with different skins. Same issue. Arg!

Edited by jonomite

Angelblue05

Grr, this is happening because somehow Kodi defaults to music shortcuts even if it's video content. I'll try to figure this one out in the near future.

I guess for now, just keep using smart playlists or use Embuary which allows to set the content type of your shortcut.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

jonomite

Grr, this is happening because somehow Kodi defaults to music shortcuts even if it's video content. I'll try to figure this one out in the near future.

I guess for now, just keep using smart playlists or use Embuary which allows to set the content type of your shortcut.

Cool. It actually gives me peace of mind that it's a verifiable thing and that I'm not just doing something wrong.

I'd be glad to run a test build if and when you decide to make one.

• Like 1