May be moving to dedicated NAS... QNAP or Synology for Emby?

hifiaudio2

hifiaudio2

I got a new Popcorn Hour A-500 that I want to run alongside my other media serving devices, but for the life of me I cannot get it to see my Windows 10 shares.  So.. since I have been toying with getting a real NAS again anyway, I may be moving to that.  

I am wondering if the EMBY server app is more stable or has better features, or has more development time for either QNAP or Synology... or do they pretty much run the same on either?  

Is installation basically the same on either as well?

Thanks for any help!

FrostByte

I can't speak for Qnap, but I just recently moved from Win10 to running Emby on my Synology.  It was fairly easy and the help pages were of great help.  Just make sure you get one which can transcode 4K/HEVC/h265 if that's an issue for you.

Edited by FrostByte

hifiaudio2

Yeah that actually seems to be one of the disadvantages of the Synology. They seem to use much older processors for the money by a long shot. But the interfaces and features may be better.

Jdiesel

I got a new Popcorn Hour A-500 that I want to run alongside my other media serving devices, but for the life of me I cannot get it to see my Windows 10 shares.  So.. since I have been toying with getting a real NAS again anyway, I may be moving to that.  

I am wondering if the EMBY server app is more stable or has better features, or has more development time for either QNAP or Synology... or do they pretty much run the same on either?  

Is installation basically the same on either as well?

Thanks for any help!

Does your Popcorn Hour support SMBv2 or SMBv3? I think Windows 10 disabled SMBv1 support by default a few updates back. I know the Nvidia Shield TV users have been dealing with this for a while now.

hifiaudio2

Yeah I actually went about enabling SMB version one for my shield a few weeks ago. I had another thread on here looking for answers on that. But that doesn't seem to be helping me with my current issue

hifiaudio2

I believe I have read that he popcorn our likes NFS shares better anyway so that's another reason I'm looking at a true nas.

PenkethBoy

From a QNAP point of view

Server (.net core) runs the same as on my 2012r2 server - i.e. fine no issues specific to the QNAP

Yes QNAP appear to have embraced better hardware recently - e.g. Ryzen and higher end Intel - and some you can add a GPU and 10g networking - if you need that

if you do not need that power then the x53a series is very popular - works fine with my Shields - but i dont need transcoding - although it can do about one 1080p transcode if necessary

@@hifiaudio2 SMB v1 is not an issue as x-plorer app can be used on the SHield without SMB1 being enabled to connect to my QNAP (smb3)

• Like 1

hifiaudio2

That's weird... I went round and round with my Shield for a couple of days before finally enabling SMBv1 and it instantly started working. 

I actually just now got my PCH a500 working...  apparently i was just supposed to enter the simple folder name that I wanted to connect to on the Share setup within the PCH... I had been entering a path...  now it works...

PenkethBoy

Yes if you want the unsecure smb1 running connection is easier

but if you do not.....