Incorrect Musicbrainz id

jonomite

jonomite

Hello,

I posted about this issue a little while ago and still haven't been able to resolve it.

All of my music files are properly tagged with Musicbrainz IDs via Musizbrainz Picard. They are saved in the folder structure artist\album\trac - title. After scanning into my Emby server, roughly 1/3 of the artists link to the incorrect Musicbrainz ID. After some rough troubleshooting, my best guess is that this appears to happen when there are multiple artists with the same name in Musicbrainz, Emby can't determine which one is the correct one, and ends up linking to the wrong one. Again, this only happens with about 1/3 of the artists. I'm not sure what log would be helpful to attach in this instance, but would be happy to attach one with some guidance on what would be helpful.

In my layman's view, since all of my albums are correctly tagged, Emby should be able to derive the correct Musicbrainz ID. I wonder if that's where the bug/issue lies?

Many thanks.

Happy2Play

Can you discuss a specific example.

jonomite

Can you discuss a specific example.

Certainly. One artist where this issue occurred for me is the band U2. I have several U2 albums. However, after scanning the files, Emby created a Musicbrainz link to the following artist:

https://musicbrainz.org/artist/704acdbb-1415-4782-b0b6-0596b8c55e46

That is not the correct U2. That artist has a score of "100" on Musicbrainz, whereas the band U2--the correct artist--has a score of 98. See this link:

https://musicbrainz.org/search?query=u2&type=artist&method=indexed

Maybe that's why Emby thinks it's the correct artist?

Right emby doesn't think anything. We just plug data into music brainz search and use the result.

I would suggest using the identify feature to manually correct.

jonomite

@@jonomite, did this help?

Thanks for checking in. Yes, I'll just do a manual identify for the artists and get it fixed that way.

FWIW, since all of my audio files are tagged with a Musicbrainz artist ID, it does seem like there should be a way to ensure that Emby queries Musicbrainz with the correct ID. But I'm just a layman. [emoji16]

Thanks for the follow up. I appreciate it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
jellelle

I was also struggling with this.

Where does Musizbrainz Picard store the ID's in the tags and could Emby use those instead? Just a request :)

Happy2Play

I was also struggling with this.

Where does Musizbrainz Picard store the ID's in the tags and could Emby use those instead? Just a request :)

Not sure what you mean.  Emby reads the tags Musicbrainz Picard embeds in the tracks.

5ae049fa3645a_picard.jpg

Maybe they're stored differently in your audio files from what Emby is looking for?

jonomite

OP here. I can confirm that all of my files are properly tagged via Musicbrainz Picard and have an artist ID that Emby should be able to query. It just seems like in many cases that doesn't happen.

d00zah

I've seen this, in the past, with some of my MusicBrainz tagged files. Emby seems particularly averse to files where I've modified the album artist tag from "The Fixx" to "Fixx, The", for example (personal OCD) . Even tho the files are all correctly tagged with the MB ids, Emby seems to focus on the album artist/album names rather than the tags. It's long since been handled manually w/ 'Identify', but the behavior was pretty consistent IIRC.

d00zah

Forgive me if I mistook the gist of this discussion, but I thought the OP had indicated misidentification even though the MB ids (long hex strings) were correct in the files. My point was that in my personal experience, Emby SEEMS to ignore these ids when adding new media, relying solely on names... which can be ambiguous, or confusing when modified. Just sayin'...

jonomite

Yes, I think @@d00zah has it right. Emby does seem to ignore the Musicbrainz ID tag. All of my music is tagged with a Musicbrainz ID and Emby more often than not seems to ignore the tag.

Happy2Play

My music/artists appear to identified properly with these tags.  Could if have something to do with your folder structure also?

Edited by Happy2Play

d00zah

My music/artists appear to identified properly with these tags.  Could if have something to do with your folder structure also?

Assuming this was directed to me... same as OP... MB Picard handles naming/folder structure.  'Artist, The\Album

Name\Track # - Title'

Can you please discuss some examples? thanks.

Again, assuming & since no one else is replying...

Here's an example I've seen each time I recreate my music library which isn't exactly what the OP describes but I see a relationship:

- Before saving MB Picard tagged files, I modify Album Artist & Artist tags from 'The Artist' to 'Artist, The'. This facilitates sorting in Windows & is my preference.

- MB Picard renames files & creates the structure 'Artist, The\Album Name\Track # - Title', adding all the id tags, etc.

- Emby recognizes new content & has no problem identifying albums.

- When viewing new album detail, or when viewing the Artist/Album Artists views & selecting the artist detail view, automatic identification of the artist has failed. This is still the case after a number of manual/scheduled scans.

- Using the 'Identify' feature, providing just the name 'Artist, The' fails because (I believe) Emby is looking for an exact name match. Adding the MB Album Artist id to 'Identify' will return a positive id.

- In @jonomite's case, Emby seems to be finding multiple exact name matches & selection is incorrect (just takes the 1st option returned?).

Here's the kicker... in neither case does Emby appear to reference the MB Album Artist id already embedded in each associated music file for a positive id.

I've always just manually identified unidentified artists & never thought much of it, but Emby has all the necessary info (when the content is properly tagged) to automatically identify the artist, but doesn't seem to use it. This would be a welcome improvement.

Make sense?

jellelle

Another example:

The Norwegian band Turboneger changed their name when they had international success to Turbonegro. Musicbrainz still uses the their original name:

Norwegian metal group, known as Turbonegro outside Norway

Emby can't find Turbonegro, even thou it is correctly tagged using Musicbrainz Picard. This means Emby does not use the Musicbrainz ID embedded in the tags, or it is looking for the tags at the wrong place.

Edited by jellelle

jonomite

Sorry I haven't chimed in sooner. There was an earlier post where someone suggested that the issue may have something to do with my folder structure. My top level folder is a genre folder, and then I have artist and album folders underneath. I was thinking this issue might be caused by my folder structure.

The reports from other users are consistent with what I'm experiencing. I can confirm that all of my files are properly tagged with a Musicbrainz artist ID. In some cases, like the example I reported on earlier in this thread with respect to U2, Emby does seem to pickup the artist, but it was the wrong artist. In other instances, however, it doesn't seem to pick up the artist at all, which suggests to me that it's not reading the Musicbrainz artist ID.

Maximus Naxsus

Right emby doesn't think anything. We just plug data into music brainz search and use the result.

I would suggest using the identify feature to manually correct.

What data does Emby plug into Music Brainz?

Using the Music Brainz ID would be awesome.

I'm currently indexing 30.000 files with Music Brainz. I'm still learning the ins and outs but one of the thing I did is change 'The Artist' to 'Artist, The'.

If Emby does not support this then I'll consider changing it. I would prefer not do manually identify ~5000 tracks.

d00zah

What data does Emby plug into Music Brainz?

Using the Music Brainz ID would be awesome.

I'm currently indexing 30.000 files with Music Brainz. I'm still learning the ins and outs but one of the thing I did is change 'The Artist' to 'Artist, The'.

If Emby does not support this then I'll consider changing it. I would prefer not do manually identify ~5000 tracks.

You'd only need to identify any artists that failed to id due to 'Artist, The'. I hope you are letting Picard create the 'Artist\Album\track # - title' structure while you are at it. Emby doesn't do what Luke refers to as 'Mish-Mash' (folder of random tracks) currently, while even incomplete albums, for the most part, id fine.

• Like 1

jellelle

Is there a fix for this bug?

It seems Emby ignores the tags from Musicbrainz Picard.

An other example, folders are

<Album Artist>\<Album>\[CD<Disc#:2>] <Track#:2>. <Artist> - <Title>

5aeab162d0c06_embymusicbrainz.jpg

Edited by jellelle

• 2 weeks later...
Protektor

Emby is reading the Artist name but *NOT* the MusicBrainz Artist ID tag. I know this because it identifies Belly, U2, Boston, and many others wrong where there are duplicate artist names. Emby should not have a problem as *ALL* my music is tagged with Picard and it has all the MusicBrainz tags embedded in all my music files.

I know this because you said you are doing a search and using what it returns. If you were using the ID tag instead of a search you would only get 1 possible result. Notice in the screen above the following fields from Picard by MusicBrainz:

MusicBrainz Artist Id
MusicBrainz Recording Id

MusicBrainz Release Artist Id
MusicBrainz Release Group Id

MusicBrainz Release Id

MusicBrainz Track Id

Not shown but does exist, if you scan the file is the field "Acoustic ID". Picard gets this by running the program fprint, which give a sonic finger-print for the file. So it can match the sonic finger-print against it's database without needing any information, no tags, no filename, nothing. It just uses the acoustic finger-print of the song to identify it.

To sum it up, it would be nice if Emby read the following fields:

Acoustic ID
MusicBrainz Artist Id
MusicBrainz Recording Id

MusicBrainz Release Artist Id
MusicBrainz Release Group Id

MusicBrainz Release Id

MusicBrainz Track Id

Then Emby would know exactly what the song is, which exact album it came from (Deluxe, Japan/US/Europe, Target/BestBuy Special Editions, Boxed Set, etc) and who the exact artist is for the song. There would no guessing since you could pull up that exact record in the MusicBrainz database. No need to search, just say give me this exact record.

I know it is possible to eliminate the searching and guessing because Lidarr uses the MusicBrainz database as well and they support reading the MusicBrainz tags in your Music to make sure it gets the correct matches and sorts everything properly.

Also Emby could use the program fprint as well since Picard is Open Source and fprint is open source as well. So Emby could in theory also sonicly finger-print every file and attempt to match it against the MusicBrainz website if there is not an Acoustic ID already in the song's metadata.

Edited by Protektor
  • Like 1