Font size on Emby options

mobamoba

mobamoba

Is there a way to set the size of the font on the Emby Options dialogue back to what it was previously? It's significantly smaller in this version making the grey-on-grey selection bar somewhat difficult to see. Is there a way to change it? Thanks.

sualfred

The dialogs are designed to use the default font set and size of Kodi's Estuary skin. 

Sadly addons are still not able to ship their own fonts and it's possible that this font size is overwritten by a skin.

Edited by sualfred
  • Like 1

sualfred

That's a complete different thing. Resource addons are used to include existing fonts/icons/sounds without adding them to a skin package.. 

Edited by sualfred

mobamoba

But in the prior stable version of the add-on (2.xx) that I was just using on the exact same Kodi system less than a week ago, the font size was larger and perfectly readable, which seems to indicate something changed within the addon rather than the issue being a limitation of Kodi.

sualfred

The dialogs were reworked for the 3.x.x version. Bigger font = much more text cropping. Perfectly readable on a 47" and 55" screen with a 4-5m distance. But as I said, since skins are able to "hijack" a font name so it's possible that it's too small / big in other skins.

Edited by sualfred

mobamoba

It isn't readable, not to me (we all have differing vision here) and there's little to no contrast between the font color, the gray background, and the gray selection bar making it difficult to read. There's a drastic difference between the size of the Emby Options and the size of, say, the dialogue box that comes up confirming you want to delete a file. If you're stuck with that small font due to other issues like text cropping, perhaps you could look at a higher contrast between font, background, and highlight colors or just enlarging the font. capitalizing it, or changing its color on key verb words like "Delete".

sualfred

The font is nearly a pure white on a dark grey background. That's high contrast. I only faced this "weak contrast" on a cheap and bad calibrated TV (local dimming, black levels, contrast, etc).

mobamoba

But people use all sorts of TVs and aren't always sitting close to their them. For example many people watch TV while, say, cooking in another room so aren't close enough to read a small font from that distance. In contrast with every other Kodi addon I use and with Kodi itself, the Emby addon is distinctly smaller and I'm not sure why it's an advantage to make something tinier at the expense of readability for at least some of your users. For people with 20/20 vision, that's great, but for the rest of us, I'm not clear on why, especially given that one of the options is to permanently delete a file from your computer, smaller is better. If this isn't something the end-user can customize to their particular Accessibility needs (which it sounds like it isn't) then shouldn't you err on the side of making it larger rather than smaller?

sualfred

I kept those people in mind and asked my wife (she wears glasses and has problems to read smaller text from the distance) what she thinks and if it's readable with glasses and without. The main problem is that it's not possible to bless everybody. 

And you have to keep other languages in mind. As a German I always have to fight cropped text lines, because our words are much longer than in EN. And other languages are even worse to read in such cases.

What's your TV distance and size?

mobamoba

It's a 42" older plasma TV; as I mentioned, the prior Stable version was perfectly readable regardless of whether or not I was on my couch or in another room. I understand the issue you're confronting with multiple languages and realize you have to make tradeoffs for that, but here's a screenshot. The Emby Options is simply drastically tinier relative to everything else on screen. If you can't make them bigger because of other constraints, perhaps you can look at a font with an outline so the words stand out more strongly or adding emphasis to the verb, e.g. ADD to Emby favorites, DELETE item from the server, or something like that.

post-40875-0-12875800-1522759303_thumb.png

Edited by mobamoba

sualfred

As I thought, the font is overwritten by the skin.

That's how it should look like (bigger an larger letters):

H7DRTpmh.png

Edited by sualfred

mobamoba

Okay. And you're saying the prior stable version that wasn't the case? Because I've had the same skin forever and the only place I've noticed the font change is the Emby Addon.

sualfred

Switch to default Estuary skin and you will see it's a different font. 

sualfred

For me it looks different compared to your screenshot. Your picture looks washed out, unsharp and the font looks like it's stretched. Like a HD ready (720p) resolution.

Anyway, I agree that people with a less good vision have problems to read it from the distance on a small 42" screen. I will discuss it internally with Angelblue but their will be always somebody who does not agree with design decisions.

Personal advice: If your vision is not the best I highly suggest you to replace your power consuming, old and small TV with a new modell with at least 50"< This saves money and would be better for the eyes. And also think about adding something like ambilight or background illumination. That makes everything better to read.

sualfred

We will increase the font size a bit as soon as I'll find some time for it.

• Like 1

dranderson402

I found this thread while looking for the same concern. I have a 70" TV and site 25 feet away and the context menu is a tiny box in the middle of the screen. So I'd appreciate a larger font as well.

sualfred

We increased all dialog dimensions. Please let us know if you find any issues.

• Like 2