Option for green check mark indicating "watched" media

daveru79

daveru79

Sorry if this is on another thread. Was wondering if there could be an option for watched media to not have a green check. Just an eye candy issue but I'd like the media cover art not to be covered with it. I'd just prefer to use the filter to see what is watched and unwatched. Thanks for all you do! I switched from Plex to Emby and found it to be a more beautiful and stable client!

• Like 10
  • Agree 2

GhostRider

Similiar to my request for the icons on Collections:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57345-collections-badge-icons-display-option-onoff/

Agree that the green icons make the CoverArt less attractive, although I like the tick on watched movies so would like to see the option to turn them off for Collections and Movies as separate.

Edited by GhostRider
  • Agree 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
ignisanulum

In case anyone else is interested, just add the following CSS snippet to Settings -> Advanced -> Custom css to hide the mark

.cardPlayedIndicator {
    visibility: hidden;
}

brezlord

Upvote. Would rather see an indicator for unwatched media rather than watched.

Yes this is how it should be.

• Like 1

sjabaker

Yes this is how it should be.

Definitely would love to see this as an option (or even as default, though I understand some may prefer the existing way) - for the following reasons:

1. As posters above have noted, it avoids impinging on the presentation of whole screen-fulls of poster images in large (& mostly watched) libraries.
  2. The green dots tend to 'draw the eye' - and it seems more relevant/useful to be highlighting unwatched rather than already-watched media.
  3. Most importantly - the current approach in Emby is actually inconsistent!  For example, I'm looking at my home screen with the row of "latest tv shows" just above the "latest movies"... the green dot (with a tick) on a movie poster indicates watched status, but the green dot (with a number) on a tv show poster indicates unwatched status!

Re #3: Similarly, when I'm looking at a set of tv shows in a library, or looking at the set of seasons in a show, the presence of a green dot (with number) indicates unwatched episodes, but when I then navigate into a specific season the presence of a green dot (with tick) changes meaning again and now means watched instead. I think it'd be much preferable if 'green dot' always indicated the same thing (i.e. unwatched).

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. Options are certainly possible for the future.

Mad Man with a Blue Box

The css trick above seems to not work for me or does it only work in the web interface and not android and firetv apps?

The css trick above seems to not work for me or does it only work in the web interface and not android and firetv apps?

CSS is only utilized in the web app.  That should be noted just below the field in the dash...

• 4 months later...
On 4/10/2018 at 8:41 AM, vinny818 said:

Appreciate the work of the devs here but please make this happen. Switched to Emby a few months ago and really like it besides this. The green checks all over are really obnoxious imo and I have been back to using Plex due to it.

• Like 1

EddyMerkxs
1 minute ago, Luke said:

How would you keep track of what you've watched?

I personally only am interested in what I haven't watched. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Luke said:

How would you keep track of what you've watched?

I personally would prefer the Unwatched had a tick/checkmark so that they stood out. I do not need a marker for things I have already watched. My library (and I assume others) is 95% Watched, so it is nothing but green checks flooding the screen (especially on Roku app..not as bad on web server app). Actually makes it difficult to see the Unwatched movies that have no checkmark, so it is very counterintuitive imo. 

And as the OP said, from an eye candy standpoint I would prefer movie posters not be covered in checks.

Edited by mpro13
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

No way to please everyone as some want for Watched, others want for Unwatched, and some want none at all.

3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

No way to please everyone as some want for Watched, others want for Unwatched, and some want none at all.

Thats understandable. On/Off toggle in settings could work for all.

• Like 1

The watched circles are a potential "Pandora's Box" because they have existed as they are for so long. Once you change those you opened the box. What else can we change? You get lost on this and we lose features. Development time is just that. It isn't like you get more than 24 hours in a day. The time spent developing is a part of that.

You are moving the needle forward or you are not. Lets keep the boat pointed in the correct direction and keep the compass focused on the goal. Consistency in the applications. Not introducing differences. :)

It just is not the right time to start a war over the watched circles of 2020 just before the Holidays. Don't rock the boat. Don't tip the boat over. Always respect the skipper.

Edited by speechles

sjabaker
50 minutes ago, speechles said:

You are moving the needle forward or you are not. Lets keep the boat pointed in the correct direction and keep the compass focused on the goal. Consistency in the applications. Not introducing differences.

I totally understand the general point of view, and given the long history of the current status I expect it would need to be an option rather than a default change (though acknowledging that extra options can mean extra support for the devs) - but when you say "consistency on the applications" that highlights the key issue I noted in my earlier post: the current situation is *not* consistent within the same app in the first place.

Take the simple question "What does a green mark indicate?"     -    well ... it depends 😞

If I'm looking at movies it means watched, but if I'm looking at TV shows it means UNwatched, but then if I'm looking at TV episodes it again means watched. I can't just visually scan at high speed for splashes of green and know instantly what it means, but rather have to then examine/think whether each bit of green has a tick or a number in it and then mentally separate those into the two entirely opposite meanings. I get that most current users have got used to this increased cognitive load, but hope that that doesn't mean it has to be kept in place for all time - I'd be much happier if I could answer "what does a green mark indicate?" simply with "unwatched".

You make a salient point. What does a green mark indicate?

On containers of items it will have a count. TV Shows are just a container of items. A container of neatly arranged items all divided up into seasons. But a container of items it is none-the-less.

Movies on the other hands are singular. Just like Home Videos are, etc..

Containers will have unwatched counts in the green circles. Unwatched items within the container get counted. Series and Seasons are containers and have counts. Collections have counts. Photo Collections have counts.

Items will have check marks in the green circles. Watched items get them.

This does look inconsistent but we've all grown up with it. Emby matured into this through earlier debate. I am not saying we cannot have this debate again. This is why we all are here. Lets debate.

Edited by speechles

EddyMerkxs

I don't think anyone here wants to rock the boat; I don't know how many of us were users when those early decisions were made, so we aren't aware of the journey to get here. I am sure as a developer it would be discouraging to see people bring up old news, while for us it's just documenting an observation.

To me, showing Watched markers adds a step, where you are wondering what you haven't watched, so you look for items that don't have a green checkmark. It's kind of like having a Recently Watched section instead of Recently Added, or like phone apps showing red circle for apps that don't have notifications. 

Also, viewers generally have more watched than unwatched, so there are more markers. Since the marker is so prominent, it is pretty distracting, partially blocking pretty cover art of stuff I've watched. A prominent indicator should indicate action to be taken, not action I have already taken. 

It isn't a dealbreaker for me, but probably the most outdated visual in the app. Really glad to have our thoughts heard here, but also thankful for how hard you guys work!