Plan's for books and audio books

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

I am wondering what the plans are for ebooks and audiobooks? I know we can add them to our library and I know there is a third party app being worked on for audio but what is emby's main plan to support these. Will the mobile app eventually have a ebook reader in them and better support for audiobooks.

• Like 1

Yes we would like to fully support them in all apps. That starts with the server first where we need to improve the recognition of multi-file books.

Inrego

A few months ago, I made a pull request for improvement of recognition of multi file books. I didn't get any comments on it or anything, so not really sure what's happening on that end.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

mediacowboy

Couldn't you just treat audio books like cds or require a m3u file?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
dekofilmes

Boa noite a todos, me desculpe a pergunta gostaria de saber como faço para montar uma biblioteca de livros no emby, vi no site que ele suporta varios formatos de livros/extensões mas até o momento não consegui fazer funcionar acho que essa é a palavra mais correta até consigo colocar o livro mas ele não abre ele só da a opção de deletar quando acessa-lo, existe um aplicativo para isso ou algo do genero pois nem no youtube consegui achar algo relacionado.

Se puderem me ajudar dicarei muito grato.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Good evening everyone, I'm sorry the question I would like to know how do I set up a library of books in emby, I saw on the site that it supports several formats of books / extensions but so far I have not been able to make it work I think this is the word more correct until I can put the book but it does not open it just gives the option to delete when you access it, there is an application for this or something of the genre since neither youtube could find something related. If you can help me, I'll be very grateful.

Good evening everyone, I'm sorry the question I would like to know how do I set up a library of books in emby, I saw on the site that it supports several formats of books / extensions but so far I have not been able to make it work I think this is the word more correct until I can put the book but it does not open it just gives the option to delete when you access it, there is an application for this or something of the genre since neither youtube could find something related. If you can help me, I'll be very grateful.

dekofilmes

Boa noite a todos, me desculpe a pergunta gostaria de saber como faço para montar uma biblioteca de livros no emby, vi no site que ele suporta varios formatos de livros/extensões mas até o momento não consegui fazer funcionar acho que essa é a palavra mais correta até consigo colocar o livro mas ele não abre ele só da a opção de deletar quando acessa-lo, existe um aplicativo para isso ou algo do genero pois nem no youtube consegui achar algo relacionado.

Se puderem me ajudar dicarei muito grato.

• 2 weeks later...
daedalus

just played around a bit and seeing the same as @dekofilmes, no way to open this "inside" of emby

@Luke could you please expose exactly of what embys ebook "support" consists, or should if we are doing something wrong?

• 2 months later...

You can import them into your emby server library, but you can't do much more with them beyond that yet.

adamstewiegreen

Probably too soon to ask but: are there plans to support transfering ebooks to various ebook readers?

Not sure what you mean by transfer, but i think what makes the most sense is to simply allow you to open the file using the device's built-in methods.

• Like 2

adamstewiegreen

@@Luke emby doesn't load on my 2nd gen kindle experimental browser ;)

Although I can upload books using 3G on my kindle (W/ calibre for instance), it's much less hassle to transfer via USB.

adamstewiegreen

That's actually what it's called, and I used it to emphasize that it doesnt work very well.

adamstewiegreen

No, it's an e-reader. Most focus purely on reading and as such are minimalist (no distractions). So internet functions are mostly restricted to buying books (not completely though).

Chyron

@@adamstewiegreen, I had a Kindle 2 at one point. I wasn't quite sure you were in any way serious re: getting Emby to work on it, especially with that wink.
The Kindle 2's web browser is all kinds of terrible just in general.

EDIT:

I know there is a third party app being worked on for audio

Wait, what? Why?

Why should Emby have an external music app rather than improving its native music app? With regard to Plex, I feel that developing TREBLE (which is native in Plex for Android and iOS) seems to me a much better use of their development time time than PlexAmp (which is a barebones external Windows desktop app). I don't see the comparative value in prioritizing a third party Emby music app over improving the native one. Especially given that, in my humble opinion, the native music player needs a lot of work.

Edited by chyron8472

adamstewiegreen

It was definitely tongue in cheek. the only (practical) way I can get books on my kindle is via USB. Emby should conisder an option to load ebooks via USB for those ebooks that cannot access a server.

Otherwise my ebook library will just have to stay on calibre (and I really don't want it to).

• Like 1

daedalus

Wait, what? Why?

Why should Emby have an external music app rather than improving its native music app? With regard to Plex, I feel that developing TREBLE (which is native in Plex for Android and iOS) seems to me a much better use of their development time time than PlexAmp (which is a barebones external Windows desktop app). I don't see the comparative value in prioritizing a third party Emby music app over improving the native one. Especially given that, in my humble opinion, the native music player needs a lot of work.

i asked the same question in the corresponding thread the answer was

When I started out with 2.0, I also had a dream to implement as much as possible in emby core. But I think that Luke is too busy with other things, to do code review etc for my pull requests.

As an example, my latest pull request is over 6 months old, with no response as to why it hasn't been merged: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Naming/pull/9

This pull request should help recognize which files are part of a book, so emby can recognize them as books instead of folders and files.

So with what I have to work with, making a plugin and separate app makes most sense for me right now. Once 2.0 is up, I may even make my own backend, with web interface as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

lately audiobook support got a new (albeit a slow) swing, but i don't know how far the state of development is nor if @Inrego got in contact with the devs, what he decided to do or if he eventually striked colors

i personally would also vote for this being integrated in the core

Edited by daedalus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I a new here, in fact I joined for this topic.

I would like to add some thoughts:  it would be great if the reader would be able to support the most  widely spread OPEN (no DRM) ebook and ecomic formats.

ebook: pdf, epub, mobi

ecomic: pdf, cbr, cbz, series of jpgs, series of pngs

Not sure if any popular formats are missing, but maybe defining this list of formats to be supported is a good way to get this started?

Cheers,

Roodee