Folder Sync - reduced transcoding ?

Kipperdawn

Kipperdawn

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me out - either from an understanding pov or how to set it up correct. What I am trying to achieve is the same movie in multiple resolutions & bitrate. From what I have read, it *sounds* like "Folder Sync" should do what I need. Note, I am a premiere customer so I have access / can use the plugin.

Folder Sync on the wiki page states the following (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Sync):

Folder sync allows you to copy content to folders and external hard drives, for backup as well as archiving in multiple resolutions.

When content is archived in multiple resolutions, Emby apps will automatically choose the version that is most efficient for them. This will help relieve stress on your server's CPU.

So, given the above, is my assumption correct, i can have multiple versions of the same file ? If so, that is excellent news, but leads me to my next question. I believe I have set it up correct. I have a show which i downloaded that is uhd (?) 3840x2160 h256. Unfortunately, most of my hardware can't direct stream it and transcoding it brings my server to its knees. I want to keep the high res file because at some point i will get new hardware but I may not be able to get the high res file. Again, from reading above, it sounds like i can keep the high res file in my main library and "sync" it to another folder on the server with lower specs and emby will play from that folder for my hardware.... unfortunately, that doesn't happen. I have sync'd the movie - 1920x1080, h264. The movie was sync'd to a folder on the sever. 

At this point, when i go to play the show, it never chooses the transcoded file and always transcodes the high res hevc file... this is not what I was expecting. The bit rate i chose for the transcoded file was 25 mbps. The client, I initially had set to auto but that always picked the uhd version. Ok, so I tried specifying 1080p 25 mps, but it picked the hevc vesion... Ok, so set the client to 1080p 30 mpbs, it still picked the hevc version and started transcoded real time. I tried adding the "sync" folder to the my media library, even though there is no mention that is required, but it still didn't make a difference.

So am i doing something wrong or am i miss understanding how this should work ? 

Note, looking at the transcoding file, it is indeed transcoding the hevc version. Looking at the server file, I never see it try to play back the lower res file... excerpt from log

2018-03-31 14:31:18.480 Info App: User policy for User. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
2018-03-31 14:31:18.480 Info App: Bitrate exceeds DirectStream limit: media bitrate: 50576131, max bitrate: 30000000
2018-03-31 14:31:18.480 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, Path: \\server\Video_Storage_1\Movies\Star Wars - Episode VIII - The Last Jedi.mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: False
2018-03-31 14:31:18.480 Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, No direct play profiles found for Path: \\server\Video_Storage_1\Movies\Star Wars - Episode VIII - The Last Jedi.mkv
2018-03-31 14:31:18.480 Info App: RemoteClientBitrateLimit: 11000000, RemoteIp: 192.168.10.157, IsInLocalNetwork: True

thx in advance

kp

Hi, there is an issue in the current release. It is resolved for the next release of emby server, thanks !

Kipperdawn

ok, that works... i was thinking i either lost my mind or was totally missing the point of the feature... thx for the info. Looking forward to the next release to try it out.

Kipperdawn

Actually, while on the topic, i have a couple more quick questions...

1. Lets say i performed both a backup of the original file and created a transcoded version. They both appear under "Download & Sync" with the same name. If i only wanted to get rid of one, say the original, how do i tell which is which?

2. Can i create my own profile for use by sync ? Since i can direct play most h264 streams, I would like to keep the original audio streams and would like a very high quality h264 transcode.

thx in advance

kp

@@Kipperdawn, you can't create your own sync profile, but you can set a custom bitrate by choosing the custom quality option. Expect to have more control in the future.

Lets say i performed both a backup of the original file and created a transcoded version. They both appear under "Download & Sync" with the same name. If i only wanted to get rid of one, say the original, how do i tell which is which?

We currently don't give you a way to do this, so you'd have to manually go to the sync destination folder, and then copy it back to your original media folder and replace the original.

Kipperdawn

Thx for the info Luke... looking forward to the future releases where I have more control.

kp