Navigation bug with Beta v3.0.74

Lane03

Lane03

I just noticed this navigation bug, not sure when it first appeared. Roku 4k TV running software 8.0.0. Emby server 3.3.1.0. Roku beta channel 3.0.74. When playing a movie that is part of a collection and then backing out it will randomly lose it's place as far as what movie is selected. Doesn't seem to do this on the non-beta channel. Please see below video.

0:30 - I hit the back button and the selection automatically jumps to the first movie (stays on the movie I was in when I hit back on the non-beta channel).

0:57 - Have to watch closly, but the selection is on the third movie but a rectangle briefly flashes on the first movie

0:58 - I select the third Pirates movie (At World's End) but the app brings up the first movie (Curse of the Black Pearl).

1:10 - I start pressing left on the remote and nothing happens.

1:19 - I hit the back button and the first movie in this library (1 of 171 top right corner) is now Spookly when it should be Angry Birds (as shown at the start of the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJuoPuWjn6g

Edited by Lane03

Lane03

Thanks, I can only reproduce it by playing a video and backing out (back arrow on remote). Simply selecting the title and hitting back doesn't appear to trigger the bug.  You also don't have to be clicking as fast as I was or anything, I was just trying to make the video quick. There is a similar bug with playing a movie that isn't part of a collection and then backing out where the selection will move on it's own and lose movies and then selecting a movie brings up a completely different movie.

Edited by Lane03

Lane03

Another data point, on the beta if you play a movie in the middle of your all movies library (say starting with the letter L) that is not part of a collection and then back out to show the list all your movies and wait a few seconds the selection box will automatically jump to the first movie in the library. It never used to do this and would always stay on the movie you backed out of until you used the remote to move the selection box.

Edited by Lane03

Yes, the grids now refresh themselves after playback which wasn't happening properly before.  We'll have to see if we can do that and still maintain your position.

Please test this with the beta .75.  If you can, please test all scenarios where the grid if filtered and not and, also when you've scrolled down beyond item 150.  Thanks.

Lane03

Still having issues with .75. The issue where I select one movie and another comes up in a collection seems to be fixed. However, I still am having navigation issues both in collections and all movies. In a collection I can get the quick flicker where the selection box flashes on a different title and also where pressing left makes the selection box move to the right. Also on the main "all movies" list I've had the selection box jump to a different title after backing out of playing a movie, and have had it randomly jump to the first title of the library. Seems to happen more often when I back out of a movie and quickly begin moving the selection box around.

Curious as to the change from previous versions, as navigation was never an issue, at least from my (end user) point of view.

Edited by Lane03

Curious as to the change from previous versions, as navigation was never an issue, at least from my (end user) point of view.

As mentioned above, the entire list is being re-loaded after playback now in order to get fresh information.  The main problem was that, if you had the list filtered by, say, unwatched, and you watched something, it didn't get removed from the list.

In my tests, the new version no longer had any issues with navigation but maybe I just need to limit the list refreshing to only if filters are applied.  That will at least limit the impact.

• Like 1

Lane03

As mentioned above, the entire list is being re-loaded after playback now in order to get fresh information. The main problem was that, if you had the list filtered by, say, unwatched, and you watched something, it didn't get removed from the list.

Makes sense. I rarely use filters, so never noticed it.

In my tests, the new version no longer had any issues with navigation but maybe I just need to limit the list refreshing to only if filters are applied. That will at least limit the impact.

If you could do that it would be most appreciated. I'll do some more testing over the weekend and report back. If I can reproduce anything I'll try and make another video. Thanks for the quick response and support. Edited by Lane03

Lane03

Here are two additional videos of .75. The first is just a graphical glitch, which I can readily reproduce. My guess is I'm backing out and start moving so quickly that the grid refresh occurs while I am moving the selection box around. In this video the selection box automatically jumps left when when I was pressing right (should've ended up on Veronica Mars based on how many times I clicked right).

The below video is more serious, and has only happened twice in my testing. Not as easy for me to reproduce, but if I figure out the workflow I will reply again with more details. Again this happened after backing out of a movie during playback. Similar to my original post, Emby is pulling up the wrong movie until I select another title (which also comes up incorrect) and then go back to the original selection. Curiously I didn't have to actually play a movie for it to correct itself, so not sure if it's grid refresh related. The incorrect movies it displayed were the titles directly above the title selected, so it's like it was off by the entire row.

EDIT: Yeah, that's the issue. If you notice when Polar Express was selected, the top right said it was number 129 of 173 when it's really 136 of 173.

Edited by Lane03

• 2 weeks later...
Lane03

Just got around to testing .76. Appears to be fixed in non filtered mode, guessing you made a change to not apply a refresh if not filtering? However, I can reproduce the bug when filtering. See below video.

Okay, in that video, it simply looks like the Roku was busy and not able to process your key presses...

Lane03

No, it wasn't registering my key presses because it thought American Beauty was item number 1 in the list (see top right corner), which is why it displayed 13 Minutes when I clicked it. So when I was pressing left nothing happened as Emby thought it was already as far left as it could go. Once I pressed right it then jumped to 127 Hours, which is item number 2 (correct).

No, it wasn't registering my key presses because it thought American Beauty was item number 1 in the list (see top right corner), which is why it displayed 13 Minutes when I clicked it. So when I was pressing left nothing happened as Emby thought it was already as far left as it could go. Once I pressed right it then jumped to 127 Hours, which is item number 2 (correct).

Hmmm... that navigation is actually managed by Roku components that we are using.  I have not been able to reproduce that scenario but I'll keep trying.

Lane03

Are you testing on an actual Roku device or software that simulates a roku device? If using some sort of simulator, it probably refreshes quicker than the actual Roku devices. It doesn't happen consistently, but it's more likely to happen when quickly backing out of playback to all movies and then immediately begin moving the selection box around. I haven't gotten it to do it when all movies is unfiltered, so guessing you made a change there?

Yes, I removed the refresh when not filtered.

I always test on devices. Not a fan of simulators :).

Lane03

Thanks very much for removing it on unfiltered. I'll still continue to test and if I can figure out how to reproduce it consistently I'll report back.

Lane03

Just an FYI that it looks like .74 beta (before you made some fixes which improved this issue) had been pushed out to the regular channel.

Lane03

Correct. I have both the beta and non beta channels on roku. Beta is .76, non beta (from the roku channel store) upgraded yesterday to .74. Thought you would want to know since .74 had more issues with navigation and this is probably the channel most people use.

Edited by Lane03

Thanks.

Jeez the Roku release process is so bad...  I updated the package after submission and even sent them an email telling them I had which they acknowledged and then they still pushed out the old package.

Primetime

Same issue here...no filters checked ....all selected, scroll down to say Movies that start with D.Start playing one..back out ...gets stuck in from Ds on down to Zs...cant scroll back to a,b, or c,.74 non beta.Not a issue with beta:)