Automatic Login Problems

Romesashes
Go to solution Solved by Romesashes,

Romesashes

Good Afternoon,

I'm having a problem with automatic login on an Apple TV 4K.  I have 2 user accounts, one is a master account and one is an account for my kids.  I wanted to make it easy for my kids to access their movies without a password prompt on Apple TV.  Inconsistently our ROKU Ultra doesn't re-prompt unless we switch users which is perfect.  I went into the user settings and set it to automatic login/remember password.  Emby then asks for the password again and logs into the correct account.  No problems there, however if I go up to the user button in the top right of the screen to change users it doesn't respond at all and then the app exits to the home screen.  I've tried deleting the app and reinstalling which does fix it temporarily but only until I set it to auto login again.  The problem I was trying to remedy was the fact that it always asked for a password so my kids couldn't watch TV without my wife or I putting in the password.  I'm really enjoying Emby but this is really frustrating and wouldn't be a problem at all if we had a restricted content PIN for movies over a certain rating.  I wouldn't need 2 accounts if that were the case.

Hi.  We are heavily user-based which gives us all sorts of advantages over just a pin-protect scheme - like personalized content displays, keeping track of what everyone is watching, individual suggestions, etc.

As for the specific issue you are having, try this:

• Log in to the account you wish to be the automatic default (your kids I'm assuming) and then go set it to auto login and not prompt for a password.
  • Right after confirming that, double-click the 'home' button on your remote and swipe up on Emby to close it.
  • Now, re-open Emby.

Does it log in properly?

Alternative to what you are doing here, you could setup individual user accounts for each of your kids and then set each of those on the server to have an "Easy PIN" and to not require that on the local network (this will all be in the user settings on the server once you have given them a password).

Now, you could set the Apple TV to show the login screen and each of your children could choose their user at login and it won't require them to enter a password.  Then they can each have their own tracking of what they watch and their own settings etc.

Please let us know how all this goes.  Thanks.

Romesashes

Just tried this. As it stands automatic login works for their account, that wasn't the problem however. If for example I want to to switch to my user account I go up and click on the user button in the upper right. Nothing happens and then it just exits to the home screen. I closed it from the app switcher and it didn't change. The only work around I have found is deleting the app and starting over. Not ideal.

corey

Just tried this. As it stands automatic login works for their account, that wasn't the problem however. If for example I want to to switch to my user account I go up and click on the user button in the upper right. Nothing happens and then it just exits to the home screen. I closed it from the app switcher and it didn't change. The only work around I have found is deleting the app and starting over. Not ideal.

I personally can't get the app to crash in this fashion as you describe above. Does your children's account have special characters in the name like ampersands (&) or anything like that?

Romesashes

I personally can't get the app to crash in this fashion as you describe above. Does your children's account have special characters in the name like ampersands (&) or anything like that?

As a matter of fact it does. It has a “&” in it. I’ll take it out and report back.

corey

As a matter of fact it does. It has a “&” in it. I’ll take it out and report back.

I found the issue for that and submitted a fix for it. We'll let you know when it's available.

corey

@@Romesashes --

Selecting the User menu button should be fixed. Can you force close the app (double tap the TV button on the Siri Remote and Swipe up on Emby -- Analogous to closing an app on iPhone/iPad) and see if it works for you?

Thanks!

• Solution
Romesashes

Corey & ebr,

This issue has been resolved.  The user switching is working now with the "&" in the name.  Did you push out an update?

• Like 2