Emby XML Metadata

jachin99
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

jachin99

I'm a little confused about how this works.  Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to create one metadata format that kind of works for everything.  My primary platform, WMC, reads data from dvdid.xml files, and I know emby creates some kind of xml file but i'm not sure if it can be read by WMC.  I'm also not sure if the xml metadata plugin stops the creation of .nfo files, or if it just ignores them, and reads xml files instead.  I assume the plugin creates dvdid.xml files but if I'm wrong then please let me know.  Thanks.  

• Solution

The plugin does not do those DVD files. In fact the plugin is read only and does not save anything. Nfo if configured separately.

• Like 1

The plugin is a community addition and can certainly be enhanced with new features if there is A community member who would like to help with it.

jachin99

i would like to myself but I'm wouldn't know how.  If the base plugin works, what would be best way of giving the plugin write capabilities to monitored media folders.  I guess I can explore the option but I can't say it would be pretty if I tried.  Does emby itself look up metadata info?  What are emby's native metadata capabilities?

jachin99

I would have to learn a lot to do this BUT if someone gave me the right pointers its possible I could do it with enough persistence I guess.  As I understand it, the .nfo section needs to be rewritten for dvdid.xml?  I'm guessing I would have to compare the values stored in each and only add fields in xml that are compatable with .nfo?

Can I just use existing mediabrowser namespaces or would I need to create a namespace just for this?  Can you point me in the direction of any documentation, or videos that would be a good start?  

Edited by jachin99

jachin99

After a little more investigating I think my problem can be solved using .nfo files. I use emby exclusively for movies.

jachin99

Alright, so I believe I have found a way for Windows Media Center MOVIE, and Emby MOVIE metadata to coexist.  I believe problems I have been having over the last year or so are from moving files, pointing WMC to new file servers, and probably a host of other issues.  I have cleaned up a large majority of uneccessary metadata in my movie folders, installed a new instance of YAMM (For WMC) and configured Emby to read, and create.NFO files.  I installed YAMM AFTER setting up my emby library, and I believe this is an important detail because it has been my observation that large cover art or images in general slow down the WMC UI a great degree.  After letting emby create its metadata, I installed YAMM, configured it to create medium sized cover art, and let it do its work.  I now have coverart, and descriptions in Emby, EMC, and WMC for movies.  For TV I use RecordedTV HD, which has its own method of handling metadata, and Emby is not pointed towards my recorded TV library.