Dolby Digital Plus from LG Emby App?

Joker

Hi Luke,

I've been using Emby Theatre for a long time and only just discovered the LG App - it is superb! I'm now using it on my LG OLED65C7 and older 55EC930V running WebOS 1.0. It is lightning fast and has been rock solid for me so far.

I would love to be able to put the media PC in the loft and relegate that to being a server, as using the LG Emby app with the native TV remote is a much smoother experience. The snag is that using Emby Theatre has the benefit of allowing me to play HD lossless audio formats through my Denon receiver over HDMI. Because the Emby LG app leverages ARC to send audio to the A/V receiver I get DTS and Dolby Digital due to the ARC bandwidth restrictions in effect. However, when I use the LG's Netflix app I get Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) over ARC (and understand that DD+ Atmos is also possible). Are there any plans to support DD+ and DD+ Atmos audio in the LG App at some point in the future as I understand this is as good as we can hope for in terms of sound quality over ARC at present?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
CBers

I have my Shield connected to my LG C7V TV as I prefer the ATV app over ET.

I get Atmos to my LG soundbar, but that's because the Shield is connected direct to the soundbar, with just passthrough video to the TV.

People have told me on these forums that DTS-X/Atmos isn't possible over ARC/HDMI.

When I use the LG ET app, I lose the Atmos and just get DD.

This makes me think: Are does codecs possible (pass-through) by optical?

For optical I believe ac3 only. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Luke, thanks for the reply.

The question is this:

If the source material has say a Dolby TrueHD audio track, this cannot be supported via the LG app (because my LG TV doesn't support HDMI 2.1 and eARC which are required to carry it). Because of this, Emby Server sends Dolby Digital (AC3). However, the wish here would be for Emby Server to send Dolby Digital + (a.k.a. Enhanced AC3) instead, as that is the next highest resolution audio format that the TV and Receiver can support over existing HDMI ARC. And similarly for DTS HD tracks DTS-HD HR (High Resolution) would be the equivalent format. Is this possible?

Thanks.

That’s right, but AC3 is Dolby Digital, so the question is could Emby Server be changed to send Enhanced AC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) instead? DD+ is higher resolution.

Waldonnis

@@Waldonnis, can ffmpeg encode to that?

Yep, sure can.  ffmpeg's eac3 encoder is limited to 6-channel output (5.1) instead of the 15 (I think) max allowed by the spec, but at least higher bitrates are possible compared to ac3.  I'm not sure what to recommend for bitrate, but I'd probably start around 1.7Mbit (what the Blu-Ray spec allows for) and wouldn't normally go past 3Mbit (cap for the defunct HD-DVD spec).  The max is (I think) a tad over 6Mbit, but it's probably not necessary to go that high for only 6 channels.

Waldonnis

Oh, forgot to mention that the eac3 encoder's options are very similar to ac3's, so changing it probably won't require much.  Here's the help output for reference:

ffmpeg -hide_banner -h encoder=eac3
Encoder eac3 [ATSC A/52 E-AC-3]:
    General capabilities: none
    Threading capabilities: none
    Supported sample formats: fltp
    Supported channel layouts: mono stereo 3.0(back) 3.0 quad(side) quad 4.0 5.0(side) 5.0 2 channels (FC+LFE) 2.1 4 channels (FL+FR+LFE+BC) 3.1 5 channels (FL+FR+LFE+SL+SR) 5 channels (FL+FR+LFE+BL+BR) 4.1 5.1(side) 5.1
E-AC-3 Encoder AVOptions:
  -per_frame_metadata <boolean>    E...A.... Allow Changing Metadata Per-Frame (default false)
  -mixing_level      <int>        E...A.... Mixing Level (from -1 to 111) (default -1)
  -room_type         <int>        E...A.... Room Type (from -1 to 2) (default -1)
     notindicated                 E...A.... Not Indicated (default)
     large                        E...A.... Large Room
     small                        E...A.... Small Room
  -copyright         <int>        E...A.... Copyright Bit (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
  -dialnorm          <int>        E...A.... Dialogue Level (dB) (from -31 to -1) (default -31)
  -dsur_mode         <int>        E...A.... Dolby Surround Mode (from -1 to 2) (default -1)
     on                           E...A.... Dolby Surround Encoded
     off                          E...A.... Not Dolby Surround Encoded
  -original          <int>        E...A.... Original Bit Stream (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
  -dmix_mode         <int>        E...A.... Preferred Stereo Downmix Mode (from -1 to 3) (default -1)
     ltrt                         E...A.... Lt/Rt Downmix Preferred
     loro                         E...A.... Lo/Ro Downmix Preferred
     dplii                        E...A.... Dolby Pro Logic II Downmix Preferred
  -ltrt_cmixlev      <float>      E...A.... Lt/Rt Center Mix Level (from -1 to 2) (default -1)
  -ltrt_surmixlev    <float>      E...A.... Lt/Rt Surround Mix Level (from -1 to 2) (default -1)
  -loro_cmixlev      <float>      E...A.... Lo/Ro Center Mix Level (from -1 to 2) (default -1)
  -loro_surmixlev    <float>      E...A.... Lo/Ro Surround Mix Level (from -1 to 2) (default -1)
  -dsurex_mode       <int>        E...A.... Dolby Surround EX Mode (from -1 to 3) (default -1)
     on                           E...A.... Dolby Surround EX Encoded
     off                          E...A.... Not Dolby Surround EX Encoded
     dpliiz                       E...A.... Dolby Pro Logic IIz-encoded
  -dheadphone_mode   <int>        E...A.... Dolby Headphone Mode (from -1 to 2) (default -1)
     on                           E...A.... Dolby Headphone Encoded
     off                          E...A.... Not Dolby Headphone Encoded
  -ad_conv_type      <int>        E...A.... A/D Converter Type (from -1 to 1) (default -1)
     standard                     E...A.... Standard (default)
     hdcd                         E...A.... HDCD
  -stereo_rematrixing <boolean>    E...A.... Stereo Rematrixing (default true)
  -channel_coupling  <int>        E...A.... Channel Coupling (from -1 to 1) (default auto)
     auto                         E...A.... Selected by the Encoder
  -cpl_start_band    <int>        E...A.... Coupling Start Band (from -1 to 15) (default auto)
     auto                         E...A.... Selected by the Encoder