1.06 Playback Results - All HEVC with Dolby Digital Transcodes

Aidsy75
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Aidsy75

I've been doing some playback testing on the new 1.06 release and discovered that all my HEVC files that contain Dolby AC3 sounds are Transcoded. 

The Media Server reports that TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit.

Is anyone else experiencing this ??

Oddly but fortunatly I can Directplay 4k, HDR HEVC files with DTS Sounds without issue, so i would say that rules out my network connection. 

My Rig & Devices:

• LG B6T OLED 4k TV
  • with 801.11ac Wifi link (average 500mbps link)
  • Emby for LG 1.06 
  • QNAP TS-453B Mini
  • Emby Server 3.3.1.0 (x64 bit .Net)

My Playback Results:

HEVC - Video

4K 10bit HDR = Directplay

4K 8bit SDR = Directplay

1080p = Directplay

HEVC - Audio

DTS, DTS-HD = Directplay

AAC = Directplay

AC3 = Transcodes

Is anyone else experiencing this ?

ffmpeg-transcode log.txt

server log.txt

Edited by Aidsy75

Hi, in this case it actually first tried to direct play, then the LG video player reported an error and so we automatically switched to transcoding.

Aidsy75

Thanks Luke for the quick response.

Why would it be erroring out ? can i get more info

Edited by Aidsy75

We will have to improve the logging but it appears the TV doesn't like the file for whatever reason. Are there any other characteristics about the video info that are different from the other files? that is the more likely reason than the audio track.

Aidsy75

Not that i can tell. In the logs you will see that i've tried 2 or 3 different HEVC files with Dolby Digital and they all error out with the same reason. 

Aidsy75

Yes, they did.

One Had just one, a second had over 20 and the third had 2 audio channels of DD without subs. In the case for the 3rd one, it Transcoded because of the dual audio channels. Ironically that same video direct played in Screenplay with HDR and Dolby, but the 2 others didnt indicating that the LG doesnt like them for some reason. 

I also tested the 3 videos on 2 other Emby Theatre Clients running 2.9.9 and 2.9.6 and all 3 direct played so that's suggests its not the files but they way it's being recognised on the LG

Anyhow, its great coding to switch over to Transcode so i can still watch the Video's. 

After seeing that 4k HEVC files are not yet H/W decoding on the Emby theater cleints, i'm thinking I should stick to x264 which works better all round on my setup.

Edited by Aidsy75

• 2 weeks later...
Aidsy75

Ok So i discovered that the issue could be due to embedded Subtitiles in HEVC Files. The LG has trouble playing files with PGS Subtitles

Is this a LG issue or the Emby Client ?

• Solution

Hi, LG TV's do not support PGS subtitles, therefore these will have to transcode with emby server. Does this answer your question?

• Like 1