New ServerWMC Update 3/27/2018

Sammy

Sammy

Being able to hide ServerWMC recordings in Emby would be great until it is fixed. How'd you edit this out? Can you add it back in?

For those using server wmc, are you using it for the tuner support, or the guide data support?

Sammy

I was using it for guide data. If you set up a guide in Emby Server Management > LiveTV and use the ServerWMC Plugin, you end up with two nearly identical guides. I mean that to say, there's two of every channel.

I did tell Emby what tuner to use in Live TV settings though. That is still true today. 

ITMonkey

I've stopped using it for guide and now use EPG123.

I use it for tuner support along with streaming recorded shows.

Right now I have a current (Emby and WMC) stable version running as well a test and an older 3.3.1.0 with compatible older wmc

I'd like to start using the most recent one but I still watch recorded cable.

(Maybe unrelated but the Roku crashes Emby when going to the Live TV section).

d00zah

Being able to hide ServerWMC recordings in Emby would be great until it is fixed. How'd you edit this out? Can you add it back in?

It's been a while since I've experimented so SOME of this may be obsolete.

Under user > Display > Home Screen Settings , make sure 1st 2 check boxes for 'ServerWMC Recordings' are cleared. You won't see new recordings list as 'latest media', but the odd library tile SHOULD be gone.

IF you want recordings to show in 'latest media', check the 2nd and/or 3rd (experiment) boxes & hide the library tile with custom CSS :

/* Hide 'ServerWMC Recordings' tile */

[data-id=69e88d4e1462d56fb23d93d8a312d597] {  display: none !important; }

EMC per-user config files:

- Open %AdminAppData%\Roaming\Emby-Server\config\users\[EMCUserID]

- Edit 'config.xml' and insert the following BOLD lines in the specified section:

<MyMediaExcludes>

/* ServerWMC Recordings */

<string>69e88d4e1462d56fb23d93d8a312d597</string>

/* Camera Uploads */

<string>165db2549e77c71dacef0e83a95cc5de</string>

</MyMediaExcludes>

These changes appear to be volatile, either across server updates, or using the user display UI, so back up the config file (with mods) just in case it reverts.

What we could do is turn the plug-in into tuner support only so that you integrate with Emby guide data and emby manages the recordings. Then all of these problems will go away.

• Like 1

d00zah

For those using server wmc, are you using it for the tuner support, or the guide data support?

I'm just using it to audit schedule, audit recordings (w/ cast metadata) & occasionally view Live TV in the webUI. WMC retains full DVR duty.

Truth be told, I'm attempting to keep things as much like they were before SWMC integration became a channel. No new tile beyond 'Live TV'. No new library to display recordings... just Live TV > Recordings, etc. & keep all of it out of EMC. But that's just me.

Edited by d00zah

Sammy

What we could do is turn the plug-in into tuner support only so that you integrate with Emby guide data and emby manages the recordings. Then all of these problems will go away.

That works with the exception of the SiliconDust PremiumTV service which is not visible in WMC at all.

Personally I'd rather see efforts be made to incorporate ComSkip and have Recorded TV programs integrated into my TV Series Library by Series / Season / Episode just like all the other content in there so it is seamless.

EDIT: I mis-read your comment @@Luke. I'm moving away from WMC but still see its DVR as superior in many ways to anything else out there, including Emby (sorry..). WMC DVR is something to emulate for sure and you are very close but no cigar as the saying goes! 

Edited by Sammy

Steveo369

Both.

I use a Ceton infinitv card, and pull guide data thru WMC, as I still mantain active use of my WMC installation, and locally access Emby via the Emby for WMC client lb multiple computers.

The default/Rovi guide data pulled down from WMC suits my needs, and is free.

Right so my proposal is essentially to reduce the scope of the plugin so that we make sure that what is offered will just work. This is as opposed to the current situation of offering more and then having you get frustrated when it doesn't work right.

Remember that the plugin is community contributed and maintained. We are not ServerWMC experts, so when we see this type of frustration we have to start thinking about how we can make it stop and not happen again.

Steveo369

I would potentially be ok with this approach, but lots of questions about how that would work, or if it's even possible.

How would Emby manage tuner conflicts with WMC remaining active?

Right now, ServerWMC tells WMC when to record, all recording is still managed centrally by WMC, and recordings performed are available in WMC and Emby. For those of us with active WMC installations, it's quite brilliant.

The need to retain this functionality is very important. I don't want to schedule recordings in both WMC and Emby. WMC is still the king DVR in my home.

Raptor6L

The need to retain this functionality is very important. I don't want to schedule recordings in both WMC and Emby. WMC is still the king DVR in my home.

Same same!

Steveo369

Why not just record with Emby and watch with Emby for WMC?

This is not a solution.  No Live TV support within Emby for WMC, no ability to watch an active recording, Emby does not support protected content.  All non-starters for anyone looking to switch to Emby after being a WMC user.   For these aspects, WMC must control all of the tuning and playback.  ServerWMC allows for Emby to schedule recordings, playback recordings and LiveTV, all using the WMC tuner subsystem, and have control of all the tuners for conflict resolution.  

A couple of reminders here, and somewhat of a digression from this thread topic:

• Media Browser (remember, the MB part of eMBy) was developed as a way to browse alternate media through WMC.  It has evolved so significantly, and it really is an incredible piece of software, but it appears to have forgotten the face of it's (mostly dead) father... And, it has a few features where it is significantly lacking compared to WMC:  true DVR functionality, and music playback (no shuffle all, no on-the-fly playlist generation, etc)
  • Somewhere along the line, the integration of Emby's (limited) LiveTV and pseudo-DVR functionality 'broke' the ServerWMC interface to Emby.  From what I can tell, it was not ServerWMC that changed, and I don't feel it should have needed to, as it previously worked quite well to translate information between Emby and WMC.  That's what this thread is ultimately about; fixing that broken functionality.  Not reduction of service, deletion of features, switching of DVR software, or disruption/change to what was previously a working configuration.
  • I don't know if krustyreturns is still around or maintaining the ServerWMC plug-in, but it appears that one of two things should happen:
  1. The ServerWMC plug-in is updated to restore functionality.  I don't know how much outreach was given to the 7 or so developers of LiveTV plugins for Emby when the livetv interface/API/whatever was updated.
  2. Emby should be updated such that functionality as related to this aspect is updated, and then the plug-in would not need to be updated.

Hopefully that makes sense. 

Yes, at some point in the future, I fully acknowledge that I will have to give up WMC, but for now it works completely adequately for my household.  Emby is a much better product for movie and other visual media library playback, and enables remote viewing of all media, but is not (yet)a 10-foot interface solution for LiveTV/DVR functionality, and fails completely in the 'protected content' category.

Edited by Steveo369
  • Like 3

I'm working on giving up on WMC as we speak. I think the new Premium TV package from Silicon Dust pushed me over the edge. None of those channels are visible in WMC guide. That said, the WMC DVR is still the king 10+ years on. Emby DVR is getting closer but not quite there. 

That said, the WMC DVR is still the king 10+ years on. Emby DVR is getting closer but not quite there. 

WMC is absolutely still the king.  I haven't found anything else that can replicate the big cable company's DVR box (WMC beats it in my opinion).  I can sit on the couch with a remote and channel surf (channels change in less than 1 second), my recordings are never missed, and my family can use it very easily.

The only thing that is even getting close to WMC, in what I have seen, is SiliconDust's DVR system.  It just isn't there in the WAF yet though.

Spaceboy

Let’s be honest emby dvr doesn’t even deserve to be spoken of in the same breath as wmc at present. It’s only in retrospect that we see how ahead of their time ms were with wmc

To not mention WMC in the same sentence is a disservice to Emby as it is something to emulate, a goal to which every DVR should aspire.

Compared to Plex DVR, Emby is a long, long way ahead except for having ComSkip built in like Plex does but neither does WMC for that matter.

@@krustyreturns

You have returned?!

Does the new release today fix the issues we've been having for the last 6 months?

I've basically moved on towards just using Emby DVR at this point and am weaned off WMC as it does not support Silicon Dust's Premium TV service.

If this fixes the issues, I'll try it out again but will need to tweak a few things in WMC to match new settings I have in Emby.

Probably not, it's an update to the server wmc application.

Not a big deal at this point as I haven't used WMC in quite some time now due to its own issues or most likely the Ceton Echos getting long in the tooth or maybe just too many in my set up. Dropping Cable TV and Cable CARDs and all that other stuff has put me in a position to use Emby DVR more and more. Now if it could be made to better emulate WMC it'll be a win-win!

Thanks @@Luke!

@@Sammy, whats the issue of the last 6 months?

If you look through the last couple pages of this thread you will see that the Plugin is broken relative to an Emby Server update a few versions ago.