CPU maxed out by AppleTV client (no transcoding involved)

funksoulbrother

funksoulbrother

Hi,

I have recently set up a fresh emby server (v 3.3.1.0) to replace kodi on the ubuntu server (trusty) PC hooked up to my TV.

So far I have used 2 clients (plus a browser on my laptop for setup). One works great: a LibreElec PC with the EmbyCon Add-on.

The second client, a 4th generation AppleTV and the emby app for TVOS is causing major problems though.

I decided to post in this forum, although the problem might be more on the AppleTV client's side...but I don't know.

As soon as I start the emby app on the AppleTV and login to a profile, the emby server on the ubuntu server machine completely takes over the CPU (all 4 cores, i.e. 400% in top) which is an AMD Athlon 5350.

My library contains approx. 500 movies (mixed codecs), 300 TV Episodes and several hundert smartphone movies and pictures,so nothing special I guess.

The ATV client only shows very few of the thumbs  (that loaded on the other client without problems), and it did not help to patiently wait for them to load, either.

The emby server on the ubuntu server, once put into this "max cpu state" won't exit this state on its own, even if the emby app is left or the AppleTV is restarted. Only a restart of the emby server via the webIF (or a reboot of the OS) helped.

I tried to get some info from the emby server log files and found the atv requesting content from the emby server . The part that might be of relevance showed some requests by "User Agent: tvOS" followed by many requests by "User Agent:" only. So - an empty entry for the user agent. 

I tried many things to make it work, setting up a fresh user, removing (and re-installing) the emby app (and data) from the AppleTV to no avail.

I tried to mine the forums here for info and only found one post mentioning that it is the common behaviour of android based clients to flood the emby server with requests and thereby increasing cpu load. And the cure was to just wait till it is over.

This did not help with the AppleTV. 

I have the impression that the emby.app on the ATV somehow loses the connection with the server.

Both devices are connected by cable. The libreElec client that worked so well is located in another room and "only" connected via WiFi.

Does anybody here possibly have an idea how to adress this? Log files could be provided later. Thanks in advance...

Edited by funksoulbrother

funksoulbrother

As I wrote in the title -but forgot to mention in my post- the high load can not be due to transcoding activity, because I disabled this feature on the server AND the problem of high CPU load is triggered by browsing the libraries already. Libraries only showing lots of blank thumbs/posters/screenshots on the ATV while everything works as it should on the LibreElec client.

funksoulbrother

I just created this log after starting the emby-server and the atv client device.

I checked the ubuntu server with top - it again reported just below 400%.

logfile.txt

Hi, are you sure it's the Emby process consuming the cpu? there's not really very much in this log. Thanks.

funksoulbrother

yes, very sure.

What about the http errors?

What http error, the one at the top of the log? That is nothing to worry about. Ok then let's think about it this way. This is only a three minute log file. Are you sure it's the right one from the time frame that you experienced a problem?

funksoulbrother

I can have a look an try to find the logs from the time the problem started to appear. 

If I remember correctly things started out fine. Then I made some changes to my libraries.

After I realised there was a problem, I removed the -rather large- music library.

I just asked myself if the problem could be in the emby server cache. Is it safe to delete the cache? Is the cache stored separately for each client? Because 2 out 3 clients are fine with it...

funksoulbrother

Just discovered the metadata manager. Excuse my ignorance - what do the different coloured image icons (red, orange and white) symbolize?

Couldn't find an explanation in the wiki or forum...

funksoulbrother

Deleting the cache did not change anything. In fact the first outcome was a crash of TVOS when trying to start emby.app.

Never seen that before :-)  

Since I am a little tired of testing, as a workaround, I have removed those libraries that don't load thumbs.

I am left with one library (fortunately my main movie library) that looks good and does not hog the server's CPU.

The "problematic" libraries mostly contained TVShows.

Thanks for Your guidance...

funksoulbrother

Yes, I have. I also created another library containing different TV Shows.

Same story. I had to remove them again from the AppleTV User Profile.

For all other clients it is no problem.

Since the AppleTV is not the ideal solution as a client for accessing mixed container/codec source material anyway (if You want to avoid transcoding), I can live with that. Although it would be great if one could use the ATV as the only viewing device, since it is the most comfortable device me and the rest of the family have used so far...