Live TV Pause Buffer fills HD and crashes server

dr_faulkner

kevinf63

Don't all apps have the "Are You Still Watching?" setting?

Enable 'Are You Still Watching?' prompt

Prevent playback from continuing indefinitely by periodically prompting for user input. 

Looking it up, think that actually might be a relatively new thing in the Samsung TV app!

One of my TVs cannot get this update unless I manually install it by USB for some reason.

Thanks for the heads up @@Happy2Play...

1.0.67 (2019/10/01)

• Restored counts on list screens
  • Added "Are you still watching?" in settings
  • Fixed an issue which caused some models to start with just a black screen

It occassionally happens regardless if that's enabled.

If the app is running on the TV itself and the TV is turned off, then, yeah, the app would stop running and, in that case, it is up to the server to determine that the TV is no longer "there" and to shut down the stream.  The server does attempt to do this but it proves to be a tricky issue at times.  If you can document an instance of this case (TV app goes away but server does not shut down stream after a minute or two) then please provide the details.

Thanks.

FordGT90Concept

The old Dish Network 722k ViP (500 GB hard drive for everything) addressed this problem by never letting the pause buffer per turner exceed 1 hour.  If it reached 1 hour, it would automatically unpause and pause function was disabled until there was room in the buffer for the tuner.

Something like that...maybe based on GiB the associated tuner is using...would be ideal.  Alternatively, could limit pause buffer per user.

Edited by FordGT90Concept

Guest asrequested

The old Dish Network 722k ViP (500 GB hard drive for everything) addressed this problem by never letting the pause buffer per turner exceed 1 hour. If it reached 1 hour, it would automatically unpause and pause function was disabled until there was room in the buffer for the tuner.

Something like that...maybe based on GiB the associated tuner is using...would be ideal. Alternatively, could limit pause buffer per user.

That brings back memories. I used to install those things.

dr_faulkner

If the app is running on the TV itself and the TV is turned off, then, yeah, the app would stop running and, in that case, it is up to the server to determine that the TV is no longer "there" and to shut down the stream.  The server does attempt to do this but it proves to be a tricky issue at times.  If you can document an instance of this case (TV app goes away but server does not shut down stream after a minute or two) then please provide the details.

Thanks.

This is easily to replicate with Emby Theatre - simply watch a live tv channel and whilst doing so shut down the PC (or shut town Emby Theatre)

This is easily to replicate with Emby Theatre - simply watch a live tv channel and whilst doing so shut down the PC (or shut town Emby Theatre)

Testing with Emby Server 4.3.1 and Emby Theater 3.0.10 I closed Theater while streaming live TV and the temporary files were cleaned up immediately.

FordGT90Concept

With WinTV 8.5 tuner?  It's mostly WinTV not getting the memo to stop the stream so it records, and records, and records until there's no more room.

dr_faulkner

Thanks. Will give it a try myself. I haven't had an issue for quite sometime - thought it was due to deliberately backing out of Live TV before closing down, but it may have been fixed by the sound of it

FordGT90Concept

I just saw this issue reproduce in real time. The browser that initiated the stream wasn't even open on the machine any more.

Could you fix this issue with keep alive messages? If the server hasn't received a keep alive request from the initiating client in the last minute, it closes the stream and releases the resources.

An idle client should still be able to send keep alive messages. A closed client cannot.

Could you fix this issue with keep alive messages? If the server hasn't received a keep alive request from the initiating client in the last minute, it closes the stream and releases the resources.

An idle client should still be able to send keep alive messages. A closed client cannot.

We already do this.

FordGT90Concept

Then it must not be working with Edge browser?

Edit: Oh! Edge is weird in that it runs even when it is not windowed because it's Universal Windows Platform. Maybe somehow it is still sending keep alive messages because of that?

Come to think of it, it was Edge that caused the crash that made me respond to the thread back on the 26th.

Edge does some weird things when it is minimized. It will "pause" downloads and fail to resume them. It will pause Emby playing music too until the window is maximized. I'm pretty sure Windows sleeps the Edge thread when it isn't presenting a window. So...yeah...at least for me, Edge is the source of the problems.

FordGT90Concept

I did some extensive testing while checking on a different issue and I was unable to reproduce.

1. Verified the Pause Buffer and transcoding-temp folders are empty.

2. Opened Edge browser, found a Hauppauge channel and tuned to it.

3. I clicked Emby's back button and Pause Buffer and transcoding-temp are empty (correct behavior).

4. I tuned to a different channel.

5. I closed Edge and both folders are empty (correct behavior). EDIT: This might have been HDHR.

6. I opened Edge and tuned to a different channel.

7. I closed Edge and both folders are empty (correct behavior).

8. I opened Edge and tuned to a different channel.

9. I used Edge's back button and both folders are empty (correct behavior). EDIT: Not 100% sure I clicked the right back button, trying again.

10. I used Edge's back button and both folders are empty (correct behavior).

Now for Edge's unique UWP behavior: I opened one instance of Edge to Emby.Media and another instance to Emby Server.

11. I tuned to a channel.

12. I closed the Edge window with Emby Server and both folders are empty (correct behavior).

• 4 weeks later...
FordGT90Concept

I think I finally caught it by accident. This line...corresponds with a 120+ GB file created at the same time. The logs never say it was formally deleted:

2020-02-04 17:37:41.627 Info SharedHttpPipelineSource: Beginning SharedHttpPipelineSource stream to C:\Users\Lee\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\transcoding-temp\069a9069617c43aeac41eb16b7586e63.ts

It was recording that file for almost 29 hours before I stopped it.

Edit: If I'm following this correctly that *.*.*.136 made the request, then it was via a Windows machine, either via Edge browser or via the store app.

log.zip

• Like 1

kevinf63

1.0.67 (2019/10/01)

• Restored counts on list screens
  • Added "Are you still watching?" in settings
  • Fixed an issue which caused some models to start with just a black screen

It occassionally happens regardless if that's enabled.

Can confirm after turning this feature on for all client devices over the last few weeks, it definitely doesn't resolve my issue.

@@Luke Does @@FordGT90Concept provide any clarity with his error log directly above?

Edited by kevinf63
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
Mbedford

Hi @Luke Are we able to find a solution to this issue of Live TV stopping due to the buffer filling up our harddisks please?

I have moved my live TV buffer and TV recordings folders to my largest harddisk I have and it just keeps filling up after a week and i have to manually go and delete all live TV files to start it working again.

You say Emby PVR uses Hauppauge WinTV10 in the backend and it configured for the live TV buffer to be 5 minutes, as per screenshot.

Windows Media center in the old days used to just delete the oldest recorded TV and live TV buffers automatically as space requirements needed. Can you find a fix to this please. Its proving frustrating for my family trying to watch live TV as they don't know how to go deleting contents of folders to make it start working again so im getting moaned at once a week.

Live TV is a Emby Premiere feature im paying for so would like to know this is actually being fixed for my sake and the others on here its affecting also.

Thank you.

wintvbuffer.PNG

Hi, Curious, what directory is filling up on you?
Is it an Emby or WinTV folder?
Have you tried setting up a batch/script to delete older files automatically to help with this problem?

dr_faulkner
11 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, Curious, what directory is filling up on you?
Is it an Emby or WinTV folder?
Have you tried setting up a batch/script to delete older files automatically to help with this problem?

Its the Emby transcoding temp directory

If you don't remember to stop Live TV before shutting down Emby Server keeps writing to this dir until the disk fills up. Luke reported he could not reproduce this but it was reproduceable for me.

I became so annoyed with this dragging on for years without a fix that I switched to a HD HomeRun instead 

dr_faulkner
13 hours ago, cayars said:

So this only happened with using a WinTV and not a SD HDHomeRun?

No - it happens with both (I had to buy a HD HomeRun because I moved Emby Server onto my NAS  - Windows was too flakey to use as a server. The NAS will not accommodate the Hauppage TV card of course. I was also hoping it would fix this issue but it didn't)

As I write this I am watching the transcoding temp file hit 30Gb and growing - No Emby client is active - so this bug is in both Windows and Synology versions of the Emby Server.

A scheduled batch job does get around the disk fill up problem, but it doesn't address the fact that my NAS's resources are being used unnecessarily.

Edited by dr_faulkner

Sounds more like you had something configured incorrectly as Emby is extremely stable running on Windows.

The only time I've seen temp files from TV accumulate is when some client is "glued" to a station and doesn't stop.

If you have a temp file growing without any client active something is wrong.  Are you sure there are no active recordings?

Would you want to do a remote session and let me take a look at your setup and see what might be causing this?

dr_faulkner
11 minutes ago, cayars said:

Sounds more like you had something configured incorrectly as Emby is extremely stable running on Windows.

The only time I've seen temp files from TV accumulate is when some client is "glued" to a station and doesn't stop.

If you have a temp file growing without any client active something is wrong.  Are you sure there are no active recordings?

Would you want to do a remote session and let me take a look at your setup and see what might be causing this?

Sure