Feature Request - Horizontal layout

yaksplat

yaksplat

I'd love to see the horizontal layout of Emby Theater available on Apple TV.  This is a major thing the family is asking me about.

5ab98ab96a3a8_emby_horiz.jpg

arrbee99

Sound like a good option to me though I probably shouldn't comment as I haven't actually got an Apple anything.

yaksplat

Sound like a good option to me though I probably shouldn't comment as I haven't actually got an Apple anything.

Currently free with 3 months of DirecTV Now.  Otherwise i wouldn't have one.

corey

Hi @@yaksplat --

Thanks for suggesting this layout. While what Apple gives us is flexible in its own way I don't think it can match this layout for a number of reasons:

• The number of tabs we're limited to is seven. The horizontal interface has a large number of tabs.
  • While Apple has the concept of sections, like Continue Watching, above Apple's layout engine stacks them vertically. So you couldn't horizontally have multiple horizontal sections like Continue Watching followed by Latest Items horizontally.
  • Finally that grid layout above with 'Without a Paddle' followed by the All Movies, Favorites and Collections below is not a out of the box layout that I believe is supported (I'd need to test this).

I'm sure @@ebr can comment further.

That specific layout is a Microsoft design that would probably not be all that well accepted on an Apple platform :).  But, never say never...

andyblac644

That specific layout is a Microsoft design that would probably not be all that well accepted on an Apple platform :).  But, never say never...

yeah, disgusting imo :)

• 5 months later...
unisoft

I love it on my LG app and would love it on my Apple TV 4k device too....must be a way to move some options to menus at top. Because you watched/like could go...

Edited by unisoft

I love it on my LG app and would love it on my Apple TV 4k device too....must be a way to move some options to menus at top. Because you watched/like could go...

On Apple TV platform we're limited in the number of items we can have in the 'menu bar' at the top. Unfortunately it's a hard limit of seven.

• 4 weeks later...
levander

@@corey @@ebr

Hi, I already asked for feature of showing horizontal/thumb view of movies in Apple TV app and now I read this explanations so.... Why something like this or exactly like this wouldn’t be appearance of Emby Apple TV app? Its MUBI app and It’s very similar to what is asked for in this thread if not better and it is obviously possible to achieve on tvOS.

Also, notice how movie info screen has those arrows on sides of the screen... I propose you check out MUBI app and see how slick and intuitive it is with this layout.

+1 I vote for this

post-96264-0-82765800-1540283114_thumb.jpeg

post-96264-0-03702900-1540283130_thumb.jpeg

Edited by levander

@@corey @@ebr

Hi, I already asked for feature of showing horizontal/thumb view of movies in Apple TV app and now I read this explanations so.... Why something like this or exactly like this wouldn’t be appearance of Emby Apple TV app? Its MUBI app and It’s very similar to what is asked for in this thread if not better and it is obviously possible to achieve on tvOS.

Also, notice how movie info screen has those arrows on sides of the screen... I propose you check out MUBI app and see how slick and intuitive it is with this layout.

+1 I vote for this

I'm sorry but that first screen looks like a complete mess to me...  Where are you?  What are you looking at? What is the relationship between the different sizes of items?  Why aren't they lined up?  :)

But, in any case, it looks nothing like an Apple TV app.  On the Apple platform in particular, we want to be sure and follow their basic design layouts and guidelines.