Videos with VobSub Subtitle are getting transcoded

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Although I commented about this issue in other posts regarding this subtitle format, I haven't made a proper post for Android TV on the Xiaomi Mi Box until now:

Videos with VobSub subtitle are getting transcoded, it seems the device doesn't support it or Emby app lacks support for it.

I sent the log at 12:50 pm on 26/03/18, there is also a log for an MPEG-2 video, a log for an h.264 video and the server log.

ffmpeg-transcode-7cc40a66-2bf8-4b58-b48c-bcc8b8a59d17.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-5999ccae-1aa5-4ac4-bf2d-bd558df07e60.txt

server-63657663919.txt

• 4 weeks later...
Richard Branches

Today, april 19 2018 I received an update to the Android TV beta version 1.5.73g and videos with VobSub subtitles are not getting transcoded anymore! ¡thank you Emby developers!

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

What happened? I received an update to version 1.5.74g and now everything is getting transcoded

What happened? I received an update to version 1.5.74g and now everything is getting transcoded

Hi.  These are beta releases so things are constantly in flux.

Thanks.

Richard Branches

Hi.  These are beta releases so things are constantly in flux.

Thanks.

I know they are betas but that's not what I asked, what I wanted to know is why the videos with vobsub subtitles didn't get transcoded in the previous beta version but they are again getting transcoded with this new update?

Richard Branches

I received the update to 1.5.75g and everything is apparently back to normal...

• 1 year later...
Richard Branches

Today I met Emby's open source fork "Jellyfin" and I was amazed that it has VobSub subtitle support while Emby for Android TV still lacks it, WHY?

Today I met Emby's open source fork "Jellyfin" and I was amazed that it has VobSub subtitle support while Emby for Android TV still lacks it, WHY?

They are a very old version of this app.  So old that it still contains a copy of VLC as a player option.  My guess is you were using that - but what else did you give up?

And we DO support vobsub.  It just has to be transcoded.

Richard Branches

They are a very old version of this app.  So old that it still contains a copy of VLC as a player option.  My guess is you were using that - but what else did you give up?

And we DO support vobsub.  It just has to be transcoded.

Why it doesn't support direct playback?

• 1 year later...
Richard Branches

Beta 1.8.74 brings VobSub support and I was finally able to direct-play videos with that subtitle, thaaaaaaaaaaank youuuuuuuuuuu!:

Screenshot.thumb.png.e9e80d96a0e752d626c33679c705e6ee.png

• Like 1