Videos with MPEG-4 video codec are getting transcoded

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

​Although I commented about this issue in other posts regarding this codecs, I haven't made a proper post for Android TV on the Xiaomi Mi Box until now:

According to "stats for nerds" the video codec is not supported but I've made tests with other apps that use hardware decoding and they play without issues. If the codec is not supported by the device they should've informed so.

I sent the log at 12:35 pm on 26/03/18, there is also a server log and a ffmpeg log attached.

ffmpeg-transcode-be28ab5f-7442-4deb-91bb-42eca7b4cb0c.txt

server-63657663919.txt

• 4 weeks later...
Richard Branches

Today, april 19 2018, I received an update to the Android TV beta version 1.5.73g and videos with DivX and XviD codecs are not getting transcoded anymore! ¡thank you Emby developers!

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

What happened? I received an update to version 1.5.74g and now everything is getting transcoded

Richard Branches

I received the update to 1.5.75g and everything is apparently back to normal...

• 6 months later...
Richard Branches

I've been waiting patiently that you provide direct playback support for DivX and XviD codecs on Android TV, however, today I'm unable to play them on beta 1.6.51g.

When I try to play any DivX or XviD video an error message appears saying: "Playback error? Is the current item exhibiting a playback problem like no video or audio?

If I select "NO" it tries to play the video again but the loading icon stays indefinitely on the screen so I have to press "back" button on the remote to return the previous screen while the server creates tons of logs.

If I select "YES" an error message appears at the bottom of the screen saying "Too many errors, giving up"

There's an example log attached.

Emby app log sent at 1:46 pm on 10/26/18.

ffmpeg-transcode-2c32e992-371b-4615-953c-09bf177191a3.txt

Edited by delacosta78

I don't think this has anything to do with the codecs...

file:E:\Series de TV\Lo Mejor de Chespirito (2003)\Lo Mejor de Chespirito - S01E01 - La Morgue.mkv: No such file or directory

Richard Branches

I don't think this has anything to do with the codecs...

file:E:\Series de TV\Lo Mejor de Chespirito (2003)\Lo Mejor de Chespirito - S01E01 - La Morgue.mkv: No such file or directory

That's weird because the file is there, could it be corrupted somehow? I will double check.

• 9 months later...
Richard Branches

Today I met Emby's open source fork "Jellyfin" and I was amazed that it has MPEG-4 codec support while Emby for Android TV still lacks it, WHY?

Today I met Emby's open source fork "Jellyfin" and I was amazed that it has MPEG-4 codec support while Emby for Android TV still lacks it, WHY?

I would need to see specifics but they are simply a very old version of this app.  Unless it is very recent, there haven't been any significant enhancements made.

Richard Branches

I would need to see specifics but they are simply a very old version of this app.  Unless it is very recent, there haven't been any significant enhancements made.

What specifics?.

• 1 year later...
Richard Branches

The release notes of beta 1.8.70 mentions Mpeg4 support, I tested some videos and they played directly, I just hope this is permanent:

Screenshot.thumb.png.fa4f85aa0254e00c5e84acd7f123a79f.png

rbjtech

The dependency is ExoPlayer - if the latest beta has either modified it or used a newer version that now supports it, then it will (should..) direct play.