Live TV catchup feature

1080p4me

1080p4me

It would be a great feature to allow an option for how many days back for the tv guide to go for providers that offer catchup services. You can then go back in he guide and play whatever you want like a PVR always.

• Like 14

Jdiesel

So you can load up your stream file and go back in time prior to when you opened the file?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Luke, how would you handle this for people with both IPTV and Tuners in the grid?

We can't record something on a tuner if looking at yesterdays schedule.  Would you blank them out or DIM them and not allow recording or just not show anything in the past that's IPTV?

It could look strange if blank.  This would also require us to keep X days worth of PAST schedule in addition to up to 14 days out.

I suppose we'd need an option in Tuner setup for IPTV to flag a provider as having this feature as not all IPTV providers will support this.

Don't know at this point, just simply agreed that some kind of dynamic content in the guide is not a bad idea.

• Like 1

1080p4me

It would also be nice above the guide to have a separate box that can define your guide data eg. I got 2 m3u tuners and 2 EPG guides I want to name one box say XYZ and the other ABC I can click on it to filter down to the guide I want to see....

davidtjudd

@@cayars - For determining if a provider supports it check my link above. The m3u defines it per channel. Here is an example of one I have;

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="somechannel" tvg-name="Some Channel" tvg-logo="http://providersurl/somechannel.png"tvg-chno="1" channel-id="1"  catchup="default" catchup-source="http://providersurl/${start}/streamid.m3u8?token=mytoken&duration=3600"

the ${start} param is a utc unix timestamp of where in time you want to shift.

• Like 2

That's a clever way of adding that to the M3U file.  I wonder how many different ways there are for this with different IPTV vendors.

I don't use these types of IPTV providers so I've never seen this before.

I basically record everything I'm interested in and have enough tuners that I always have my own "Catchup TV" :)

But I could really see the use in this:

Some type of sporting event that goes into overtime and mucks up the schedule causing your recordings to get muffed so you could use this to grab the show with a modified schedule/timeslot.

Not enough "tuners" to record everything you want when broadcast live.

Not knowing about a new show or the first episode of a new season.

Movies that were broadcast that you forget to look for or check AHEAD of time.

Almost makes me want to subscribe just for the reasons I just mentioned. :)

Anybody else have a provider with "Catchup TV" that has it differently in the M3U file?

• Like 1

davidtjudd

Personally I see one of the biggest advantages of catch-up not being catching up with a show you would normally have recorded, but in exploring new content or content you normally wouldn't think to record. If I tune to a channel I can choose to start the show at the beginning instead of whatever time I'm at. If I add a new series I can record last weeks episode. If I tune into the news halfway through the story I wanted to see I can rewind back to it. It's like having a massive buffer of everything.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Personally I see one of the biggest advantages of catch-up not being catching up with a show you would normally have recorded

I'm on the opposite side of this. If I record three shows in one day what I usually get is one show recorded, one show that the recording is messed up and not playable and one show that I don't know what happens (Emby ghosted me). The catchup would be nice to actually watch the shows that Emby didn't get right.

I'm on the opposite side of this. If I record three shows in one day what I usually get is one show recorded, one show that the recording is messed up and not playable and one show that I don't know what happens (Emby ghosted me). The catchup would be nice to actually watch the shows that Emby didn't get right.

Chances are if you are having problems with basic recording then you will with catchup as well from the same provider.  Of course you could keep trying it over and over until you got it recorded. :)

pir8radio

I was just coming to request this same feature...    glad some one is looking into it. 

#EXTINF:-1 catchup="default" catchup-source="http://iptv.com/play/dvr/${start}/xxxx.ts?token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx==&duration=3600" catchup-days=3 tvg-name="ESPNews HD" tvg-id="I207.59976.schedulesdirect.org" tvg-logo="http://iptv.com/logos/espn%20news%20hd.png" group-title="Sports",ESPNews HD
http://iptv.com/play/xxxx.ts?token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx==

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Timmayyy

Agreed, I get a lot of failed or partial recordings and catch up would help get them back.

It would be amazing if emby could even catch a partial recording and re-record it using catch up or patch in the missing time.

catch a partial recording and re-record it using catch up or patch in the missing time.

Yes this would make sense. Thanks for the feedback.

• 9 months later...

Hey, I'm interested in this feature as well. So ..... how far is the progress? Does it come with the "next gen" Live TV? Would be awesome!

Greetings

• 1 month later...
jmarcet

Hi,

I'm really interested in having this feature. I would like to add some suggestions.

I recently developed a flussonic catchup proxy for my ISP provider, so that I can consume my 7 catchup days with clients like Android TV's TiviMate IPTV Player.

Having done that I learned about Flussonic specifics, and I'm confident it's the easiest cacthup system to implement.

The only changes needed for the m3u channel list is adding two fields to the EXTM3U header:

#EXTM3U catchup="flussonic" catchup-days=8

For instance, with my proxy, a live tv channel url could be:

http://192.168.1.1:8888/1825/live

A corresponding Flussonic catchup url would be:

http://192.168.1.1:8888/1825/video-1616516358-2100.m3u8

Where 1616516358 is the timestamp which defines what instant to start playback at, and 2100 is the time length. In my case the latter has no effect, so it is needed but the value does not matter, it can be a 0.

The rationale TiviMate applies here is replacing the last part of the channel url with /video-{timestamp}-{duration}.m3u8

Again, with my proxy the extension does not matter, it can matter to the client, though. For instance, while mpv can play a url like that, vlc fails, yet changing the extension to .mpeg makes it work.

I can't provide more details about a real Flussonic server since I only implemented what was needed to make TiviMate work. Now I miss being able to access that from my laptop or mobile, which Emby could do beautifully.

Edited by jmarcet
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...