Emby Client image for RPI 3 Poll

Jrod696

Purchase Emby Premium If RPi CLient ISO was a thing?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Pay for Lifetime Premium if Full Emby RPi Image or Client Box was a thing. (Multiple Selection Enabled)

• Yes if it was a full Image ready to go.
    • Yes if I could purchase an Emby Client Box.
    • No I the Kodi Addon is fine.
    • No I am happy the way things are.
    • I came here to just click buttons
    • I like turtles
    • I read Jrod's post before answering ithis poll

Jrod696

I currently have 5 RPi 3's in my home that all use base Kodi to stream from my NAS using sql to sync everything, its a PITA. I do have an Emby server installed and use it for things like the Fire Stick and Roku.

I know everyone has tried the Kodi addon and its not the greatest. If there was an image offered for the RPI 3 that I could just load on and have the full client similar to the Fire Stick but with better scrolling options, when you have large libraries 2 rows is difficult, something like the info wall option in kodi (silvo knox skin) would be amazing.

Anyway back to topic, I know there is a theater image that has been discussed and I know you can do raspbian and all that fun jazz, but I am looking for a full blown client in an ISO I can load to my flash and be done, similar to what OSMC offers for Kodi. If such a beast existed, or even a full blown box like OSMC offers in the vero I would switch over to Emby fulltime and purchase the lifetime license in a heartbeat.

So I guess the Poll is, IF you could use your Pi or buy a (reasonably priced) Emby client, would you? and would you be more likely to purchase the Premium Lifetime version?

Edited by Jrod696
  • Like 1

chef

I absolutely love my raspi. I have two more arriving from Amazon with out any idea what to do with them, they are just so great!

I have a life time subscription to emby already, but I'm on board with this, and am willing to help in anyway I can.

• Like 1

denz

Yes you can because that is how I am using it is just bit of work to get it installed but it works very well. 

darkassassin07

Correct me if i am wrong but currently can't connect my raspberry pi to tv via hdmi and use as emby client?

Just finished doing this myself. Here's some current, tested, and working instructions:

Install raspbian, open terminal,

sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 

sudo apt-get install npm
sudo npm -g install electron@1.4.16
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-pi.git

to start from terminal:

cd emby-theater-pi
electron .

I also made a desktop shortcut:

File saved as "emby.desktop" on the desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Emby
Type=Application
Comment=Start Emby Theater
Categories=Application
Exec=/home/pi/emby-theater-pi/start.sh
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
Icon=/home/pi/Documents/emby.png
(I have a 32x32 pixel .png at the icon path, this is optional) Edited by darkassassin07

Is there something like http://www.rasplex.com/ but for Emby? I don't want desktop linux on my raspberry.

I want to start Emby player on my raspberry pi and control it via tv remote. This is how it works in rasplex but I dont want to use Plex

• Like 1

I tried everything to play movies from my local Emby server on my Samsung TV (I can't use smart tv app because this tv is from 2014), so I bought RaspberryPi 3B+.

I tried Kodi + EmbyCon = extremely slow, need to open manually plugin every time, refreshes all files on plugin startup so takes some times before list of movies appears

I tried Kodi + EmbyForKodi = fast enough but overwrites kodi db so I can't use other sources than Emby (also this type of direct db connection is not supported and recommended by Kodi team, I guess this is why this addon is in private repo not in official one).

Rasplex + Plex or native Kodi with smb share = this has to be checked

I am sad because Emby server is cool and better than Plex or Kodi

tdiguy

A iso image would be just great, but i wonder how much time it would take to develop such a thing, i imagine it would be pretty involved. I would be fine with a .deb package and if there were just a few configuration questions with scripts. Like asking, do you want emby theater to start on boot up? Do you have mpeg2 acceleration? Course i suppose for mpeg2 it could simply be detected, i forget the command but there is a command that says with a yes or no answer if its enabled.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
binerf

+1

Any feedback from dev team regarding this request ?

I'd like so much this raspberry image as my kids would use the same GUI on their tablets and on TV.

Thank you !!

We're interested in contracting someone to handle this for us.

If interested please send me a private message. If you know anyone with the skill set for this, please pass it along. Thanks.

• Like 2

binerf

We're interested in contracting someone to handle this for us.

If interested please send me a private message. If you know anyone with the skill set for this, please pass it along. Thanks.

Many thanks for your feedback !!

Meaning that is in the dev roadmap; really good !!

Hope that someone, with right skills, will see this message...

Anybody ? :-)

• 2 weeks later...
cpux86

Just finished doing this myself. Here's some current, tested, and working instructions:

Install raspbian, open terminal,

sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 

sudo apt-get install npm
sudo npm -g install electron@1.4.16
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-theater-pi.git

to start from terminal:

cd emby-theater-pi
electron .

I also made a desktop shortcut:

File saved as "emby.desktop" on the desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Emby
Type=Application
Comment=Start Emby Theater
Categories=Application
Exec=/home/pi/emby-theater-pi/start.sh
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false
Icon=/home/pi/Documents/emby.png
(I have a 32x32 pixel .png at the icon path, this is optional)

This app/launcher made me think of buying the premium version, please keep polishing it, and if it can be a dedicated image it's far better, anyways, I'm buying the premium to support further development

• 4 weeks later...
SPONGEZILLA

Maybe a Libreelec Emby-style build?  Similar to what Kodi and Plex Embedded have?  I'd love to see something like this.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
tdiguy

Awesome I will have to see about giving this a go at some point.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
Dibbes

We now have arm and x64 Debian packages for emby theater on Linux:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42868-emby-theater-for-linux

This is an easy one click install process. The arm package runs great on raspberry pi. Please try it out, thanks !

Has anyone tried this? I'm starting to give up hope on the ATV client...

• 1 year later...
thrillcat

What’s the current status of this? I’m looking for the ultimate Emby client.

Must have:

Lossless audio (TrueHD/DTSHDMA)

Immersive audio (Atmos/DTSX)

4K UHD

HDR

Remote control ability

Solid navigation and interface

Currently using Nvidia Shield, but I am having device quirks, reliability issues and it needs replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nt-it-team

Same! It would be something we would pay for (~$100 per device?) if needed, and we would take 20 straight away! 

I'm working on a Raspberry Pi, but it just isn't end user ready, yet :(