Searching the guide for shows to set series recording

cdelicath

cdelicath

Hey everyone. New to EMBY everything has been good so far happy Premier user.

Just getting into the details of setting up Live TV-Recordings and noticed or possibly missed a way to search the guide for shows to record.

Did a search and found a thread from 2014 saying it's coming so i'm hoping it's just something I am overlooking.

I am moving from KODI/NEXTPVR as our LiveTV and PVR setup to EMBY "hopefully as a complete solution".

1. Is there a way to search for shows in the 14 day schedule and set new episodes of those shows to record?
  2. If there is no option in the EMBY LIVETV/DVR is there a way to use NEXTPVR as the backend like i was with KODI and just use EMBY as the front end to watch and schedule through the NEXTPVR backend? 

Also is the NEXTPVR plugin preferred by most to the Emby side or was it just available first? 

Edited by cdelicath

PenkethBoy

Hi and welcome

I just use Emby's search function - if a show/movie in the epg is found - i click on it and set the record option i want

The length of the search into the future (the epg length) is set by you - by default its set on Auto - which appears for me to be 7 days - IIRC you can change this up to 14 days

Depends on your tuners - if hauppauge or HDHomerun - you can use emby's built in features to connect to the tuner(s)

I have recently used the latest NextPVR and the NextPVR plugin with Emby - if you have compatible tuners i would go with the Emby built in option as its much faster and a snappier interface

cdelicath

Awesome thank you I will try it again maybe it had something to do with the guide not being indexed yet or something but when I use the search it didn't find anything but recordings previously in my system. It was almost like it didn't search the guide. As far as tuners I use hdhomerun Prime and we'll be adding a second one soon since we will be able to utilize them on more devices now.

I will also be adding another eight gig of RAM bringing me up to 16 tomorrow. hopefully that will help make things a little snappier. It seems like it takes a bit for stuff to load on the screen like the guide data. Everything is running on an SSD already.

I have been reading through quite a few different posts but just in case I miss anything is there any tips or things that would make my experience with emby better right off the bat?

Edited by cdelicath

PenkethBoy

when i search the guide - i am usually in the livetv "library" pages - might make a difference

ram - is usually not a big issue for emby - but wont hurt

is your ssd for the os as well?

i move the metadata directory to a separate ssd if i can - will improve the snappyness

also if you can install Emby on a ssd-non os drive - again a speed gain - nothing major but it all helps

The guide loading is cpu intensive - both client and server - so can take a couple of seconds to populate on my i7 (Chrome) if i have not loaded it in a while - once loaded it is snappy to move around etc

One thing which comes up a lot (they are looking at the issue) is to put all of your movies in separate directories rather than one big directory - difference on a library scan is seconds vs 10's of minutes

eg.

movies>movie1>movie1.mkv

movies>movie2>movie2.mkv

not movies>movie1.mkv

>movie2.mkv

There are loads of little things you could do - depending on what your client devices are/ what you want to use emby for.......

The best thing is to setup some test libraries of different types and play (or better yet setup a beta/test server - you can run more than one server on the same pc) - find what you dont like/understand and ask in the forums - lots of people respond (mostly with good advice!!!) 

If you find a bug then report it - most get dealt with quite quickly - some not so much - but you cant have everything :)

Basically have fun - break stuff - learn and educate others  :P

Also, although you can search for programs, you currently cannot record based on arbitrary search keywords. That's something we'd like to add in the future. Thanks !

cdelicath

Yeah I did read about moving metadata to a separate SSD I may give that a try I think the issue with the guide may actually be because I'm running a dual-core processor it's not exactly new. I didn't realize that function was dependent on CPU usage but now it makes sense. Honestly has gotten a hundred times faster overnight I really think it was an issue with cashing or loading all the metadata in the background that's the only thing I could think. Now that the machine has settled down from the initial install it's not bad at all. Not sure what to do about the next PVR plugin we use that previously in conjunction with Kodi and were able to import our recording schedule with regards to the shows we had already set up so that was nice. Do you really think there would be a noticeable difference moving back to just the emby live tv and getting rid of the next PVR plug-in?

And with regards to plugins are there any other plugins or add-ons for emby I should start looking into?

Edited by cdelicath

PenkethBoy

2 hd homerun primes

use the built in option - you dont need NextPVR with Homerun tuners

• Like 1

cdelicath

Okay guys so new question but similar content so I'm going to post here I can create a new post if need be.

Is there a way to isolate searching just the guide information and not all of the emby database. When I try to search for shows now it takes forever and a day because it's pulling up info that I don't need.

PenkethBoy

Morning - up early :)

What is your server hardware? - Do you have the server and your Metadata on a HDD perhaps or have a low power CPU?

Search for me is almost instant with the server on a  SSD with an i7 - but my Celeron powered NAS is not much slower

Searching in Emby - couple of tests for you to do

If you search from the home screen - emby will search "everything" so you will get all types of hits across all your libraries

if however you go into the livetv page and do the same search from there - you will find it "just" searches the "LiveTV" section - this applies to all library pages - i.e the scope of the search is "limited/focussed" by where you are

• Like 1

cdelicath

LOL I sat down at about 10:30 to schedule shows for recording and it actually took me that long to try and search for them.

I do have an SSD in the system. both the operating system and emby are running on the same SSD. I do know that I can divide them to an Emby SSD and cache on a separate SSD as well I don't know that that would help the situation I think you hit the nail on the head with regards to the CPU. It is a 2.9 gigahertz dual core CPU we've had this system as our primary media center for probably 2 or 3 years now. I just built a new gaming system so a budget for a New Media Center is out the window. I am adding another 8 gig of RAM at some point this week maybe that will help just a bit. I don't know that throwing a new processor in this thing will make that much of a difference because the highest I can go on this chipset I believe is 3.6 gigahertz dual-core. I think I kind of figured out the search is a bit quicker and more accurate when I go into live TV there at the end so that helped. Maybe I just didn't realize it before because I was using nextpvr to schedule all of the shows and record.

Edited by cdelicath