3.0.73 Automatically play next episode not working

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

The Roku app fails to play the next video when the feature is enable. Loading screen appears but nothing happens. In app log send under user Jeff

Loading screen appears but nothing happens.

I don't see anything in your log that indicates that occurred.

It doesn't look like your system had a next episode to play. Do you have Season 7 Episode 22?

Playing back item 1 of 1

Jdiesel

I don't see anything in your log that indicates that occurred.

It doesn't look like your system had a next episode to play. Do you have Season 7 Episode 22?

Playing back item 1 of 1

Yes, I attached a log snippet from playback during this time. After it failed to load the next episode I started playback successfully on my Shield TV. If I were to manually select the episode from the Roku UI rather than automatically loading it after the previous episode it would also work but I did not attempt it this time.

Very strange.  Are you absolutely certain the log you sent was from that playback attempt.

What I see in the log is a single episode being played for maybe 30 seconds and then being backed out of.  There is no attempt to play a subsequent episode as there was only one queued.

If you bring up the OSD during playback, is there a "next track" button on it?  What happens if you press it?

Exactly what loading screen are you seeing?

Jdiesel

Very strange. Are you absolutely certain the log you sent was from that playback attempt.

What I see in the log is a single episode being played for maybe 30 seconds and then being backed out of. There is no attempt to play a subsequent episode as there was only one queued.

If you bring up the OSD during playback, is there a "next track" button on it? What happens if you press it?

Exactly what loading screen are you seeing?

I will isolate the issue and send another log when I get home.

Jdiesel

Ok I just sent another in app log. The last one submitted should show what is happening. Played a file, or frozen with 45 seconds left, was able to manually skip to the next episode, it also froze with 45 seconds left, skipped manually to the next. I took a video if that help but I need to upload it still.

Played a file, or frozen with 45 seconds left,

"or frozen"...?

How did you get to 45 seconds left so quickly?

Okay, I saw the video you sent now - you are fast forwarding to just before the end.  Does this happen if you don't manually fast forward?

That "Loading" screen is the internal Roku video player and there is no indication in the log at all that there is a problem happening.  How long have you waited with it showing that on the screen?

Jdiesel

Yes it does it when I don't skip ahead. Ive left it for a few minutes with no change.

I'm not sure what is happening. It is like the video player is just hanging trying to retrieve the video from the server.  I cannot reproduce it here either.  I tested a couple different series today.

Does this happen on all series?

Jdiesel

I did some more testing tonight and something is seriously wrong. I am now unable to play anything that requires transcoding or direct streaming on both the beta and stable able. The dashboard reports direct playing but no playback is happening on the Roku.

If you are free tomorrow I can give you access to my server but I am starting to think this is a server issue not a Roku issue.

Jdiesel

Okay so I tried to play the two videos in the Roku app which should have triggered a transcode. Both videos loaded up half of the loading bar in the Roku app but did not play. The server dashboard showed them as direct playing and had playback progressing on the bar. Also sent an in app Roku log under user Jeff.

There are no errors on the app side.  The player is simply hanging up trying to load the content.

Can you test over plain http?

Jdiesel

I didn't have much time to test before I left for work this morning. I removed the server and tried connecting over http but was unable to connect. Tried adding the server back via https and was unable to connect. Can connect by both http and https on the web and android apps.

I can provide you with a login to my server if you would like to test

I can provide you with a login to my server if you would like to test

Okay.  Thanks.

I just played episode 1 of King of the Hill, ff to about a minute before end and let it run.  It advanced to episode 2.

This was on the https connection.  I don't know what is going on with your playback but maybe it is network related.

Jdiesel

I am able to replicate that as well. It appears that playback that requires transcoding is still broken though. I create another thread for that if you would like.

If you are able to test on your end you can replicate by setting a low quality bitrate and attempting to play a video from the Bluray Movies library or an xvid from season 1 of the Drew Carey Show.

Jdiesel

So I have had some more interesting testing results. It seems like videos that direct stream and direct play work fine. Videos that need to be transcoded hang when started and fail to play. However when the video has failed to start you can skip forward which causes the video start and play fine. If you are free tomorrow @@ebr I can give to access to my server again and some videos and conditions to replicate this. 

Okay.  It may be a few days until I can get back to this but we'll take a look.

Thanks.