Android TV and nVidia shield - PCM Audio

jordy

jordy

Hi,

I have an 2017 nVidia Shield connected directly to my stereo TV. For Audio, I have a pair of Sennheiser Headphones (TR195) which accept a digiital PCM signal...

Is there any way in which I can enforce Audio encoding from DD, DTS etc to PCM? Either from the App or the Server will do. At the moment everything is encoded/decoded to Stereo and I wanted to see if audio is improved - maybe surround sound? via PCM.

thanks

jordy

Stereo is 2 channel PCM

yes, I am aware of that thks. I believe there is also 5.1ch PCM, which is what I'm hoping I can get and use

jordy

I'm not actually sure that they do :) I just wanted to see if feeding them 5.1ch PCM made any difference to the experience. Hence the question.

Jdiesel

I'm not actually sure that they do :) I just wanted to see if feeding them 5.1ch PCM made any difference to the experience. Hence the question.

Unless they have an HDMI input I'm not sure how they would.

jordy

They have an optical audio input and the manual says they can accept/decode PCM audio. Doesn't specify how many channels. As I said to @@ebr, I just want to see if the experience is better with 5.1ch input. No biggie if its not possible, but my theory is - if Android TV can mux 5.1ch DD or DTS etc down to Stereo PCM, then it should also be possible to mux it to 5.1 PCM? A reasonable question?

Jdiesel

They have an optical audio input and the manual says they can accept/decode PCM audio. Doesn't specify how many channels. As I said to @@ebr, I just want to see if the experience is better with 5.1ch input. No biggie if its not possible, but my theory is - if Android TV can mux 5.1ch DD or DTS etc down to Stereo PCM, then it should also be possible to mux it to 5.1 PCM? A reasonable question?

Optical connections are limited to 2 channel PCM

jordy

er no. I'm talking about the Optical Audio connection that is commonly used between a DVD player and a Receiver/Amp to carry 5.1ch audio pre HDMI, also commonly known as Toslink etc

Edited by jordy
  • Like 1

jordy

I'm also thinking about Gaming Headsets... They are supposed to have virtual surround sound, I haven't experienced it personally but my son assures me they do. My headphones were not cheap (AUD$500+) probably more than a lot of gaming headsets so it's entirely possible that they also have some sort of vitualisation capacity.

Anyway, a friend of mine once said that if there's something you don't know or are not sure about - the only stupid question is the one you don't ask! :)

er no. I'm talking about the Optical Audio connection that is commonly used between a DVD player and a Receiver/Amp to carry 5.1ch audio pre HDMI, also commonly known as Toslink etc

Yes, and that connection is limited to 2 channel PCM.  The way you get multi-channel out of that connection to a receiver is by sending compressed audio formats like DD and DTS that the receiver then decodes.

• Like 1

jordy

Yes, and that connection is limited to 2 channel PCM.  The way you get multi-channel out of that connection to a receiver is by sending compressed audio formats like DD and DTS that the receiver then decodes.

OK, I understand. No problem.

thanks