Certain Show Not Playing In App/Browser - Will Play DLNA

lateparty
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

lateparty

Hello,

There's a particular show I have identified (could be more) that spans several seasons, and none of the files will play in the iOS App, or any browser, but work through both when I have elected a "Play On" which is a different device, in all test instances I used my LG over DLNA.

Attempts to resolve the issue myself included:

1. Observing a tail of the logs as they were happening when loading the file but no fault was found.
  2. Updating the permissions on all files and folders from my video directory to match
  3. Re-starting Emby
  4. Re-starting the NAS
  5. Re-building my TV library in Emby
  6. Re-starting Emby and the NAS again after rebuild

Along with the attached log file, I have taken a screen capture video of the show not playing in App/Browser and a tail of debug level logs occurring concurrently (these logs are attached below) happy to provide a direct link to this via PM if someone picks this up for support.

• The play attempt captured in this log occurs at 2018-03-19 13:06:07.350

Edit 1: Forgot to hit "Attach this file"

Edit 2: I also want to add, that I recently defragmented my primary NAS volume which houses all my media - it's running btrfs. This was prior to the issue occurring.

Edit 3: Sorry, I ran the Send Us Support script to test it, but in case it's needed here is the file name sendlogs_VASNAS_synology_cedarview_412+_20180319T031342UTC.tgz

Kind regards,

lateparty

Edit 1: Forgot to hit "attach this file"

Edit 2: 20180429 - Removed attachment

Edited by lateparty

That's very strange because it's direct playing these files. what happens if you lower the web app quality setting to force it to transcode?

lateparty

As per the video screen capture I sent you via private message, you can see I do not get to that option. The player never opens.

Right but you can always go into web app playback settings and set the quality there.

lateparty

Hi Luke, haven’t used that functionality before I’ve attached a screenshot where I guess what you’re talking about is. Can you please confirm?

post-235345-0-15034800-1521499410_thumb.jpeg

lateparty

Thanks Luke! Here's a new debug level log and screenshots for time stamps of attempts using this method. (For the record I tried with the other one mentioned too just for the heck of it and same result).

The files/app exhibits the same behaviour as before. Played another random show just to get a good sample in the log too.

Edit: Also, thanks for letting me know about playback setting, I think some shows were transcoding because they weren't 1080p and I wondered what was causing this behaviour :D thinks this might rectify that. Wasn't much of an issue though.

Edit 2: 20180429 - Removed attachments.

Edited by lateparty

lateparty

iOS 11.2.6 - Safari, Chrome (up to date), Emby App (up to date)

Windows 10 - Chrome 65.0.3325.162

MacOS 10.13.3 - Safari and Chrome

This happens everywhere except for when I have the “Play On” enabled.

lateparty

For the record, the files play fine in VLC and Infuse, can be read by MediaInfo and even by Emby when the target play device is not the app itself.

To rule out the files or permissions being an issue I have further done the following:

• Copied one of the affected show's files to another show and renamed it to fit a working episode - Result: Worked (Screenshot Attached)
  • Copied a known working show and file into one of the affected show's season folders and replaced an existing episode - Result: Failed to play
  • Copied the entire show's root directory and renamed the second one "Show2" keeping the same file names - Result: Failed to play
  • Updated the filenames of all the episodes in Season 8 of the copied "Show2" directory to be "Show2 - <x>" - Result: Failed to play
  • Changed the permissions on the folders and files to explicitly set "embysvr" to be the owner and have explicit allow permissions - Result: Failed to play
  • Created a new user profile - Result: Failed to play

Is there any chance this is the fault of Mono? Could there be a database lock that isn't appearing in the logs but has lingered since my defrag of the volume?

If you still feel like having a copy of any the affected files would in any way aid the investigation, please PM me for details.

Edit: 20180429 - Removed attachment

Edited by lateparty

Can you provide a sample video? The fact that they play on VLC is not really a useful comparison. VLC is designed to be highly resilient and handle just about any kind of input.

If you want your files to be able to play in a browser then you will have to be able to meet the much more strict requirements that they have.

lateparty

I have shared sample videos with you via PM.

In case it was missed, I would really like to re-emphasises that the sample videos worked in Emby under a different show name (i.e. same file just different filename) and that episodes that worked prior, stopped working when I renamed them to the affected show name.

Edited by lateparty

For the second of the three samples, are you able to pull up the detail screen of that video? I encountered an interesting issue that i had never seen before that prevented me from even getting far enough to play it. So I resolved that and now it's playing just fine.

lateparty

Unfortunately I can’t. I tried from the season view on both web app and iOS app but it just loads indefinitely. Same as if I try to play anything from the show.

Then I tried from Metadata manager and it didn’t work. Screenshot from that attached. But it doesn’t add much beyond my description.

post-235345-0-86875500-1521810122_thumb.jpeg

Edited by lateparty

• Solution

Ok so then it's the same thing. It's resolved for the next release. Affected titles will require manual refreshing using the multi-select tool.

• Like 1

lateparty

Great, I’ll keep an eye out on the change details too, interested to know what the issue was. When it’s working I’ll mark this thread as solved :D - can’t believe it was a video issue.

• 1 month later...