Live TV functions

bhasse

bhasse

I am new to the Emby Premier service and not sure if I am missing something or if the feature is not available.  It does not appear that I have the ability to pause live TV while using the Apple TV Emby App.  It works fine on my LG TV Emby App but not on the Apple TV.

Senna

Have you waited long enough for the Live TV channel buffer to fill up ?

When you have just tuned into a channel, you have to wait x seconds before you can use pause on your remote.

What is your Live TV source ?

bhasse

I probably did not wait before I tried to pause. I just installed the app and was testing it out, maybe that is the issue. However I believe I was able to pause immediately on the LG TV app. I am using two HDHomeRun Connect tuners for my tv source.

bhasse

Ok another question. Does the Apple TV app not allow you to record a show in progress? On my LG TV app and my IPhone app I have the option to record a show in progress. However, on the Apple TV app I do not see or can’t figure out how to record a show in progress.

Senna

Not during play of a channel, like in other Emby apps. More essential features are missing in the Emby Apple TV app, so play around and you will find out the differences with other Emby apps.

Features of the Emby apps are all platform specific, due to limitations of the platform and the limitations of the app itself how it is designed. New Apple TV Emby app features are on the roadmap, but no ETA for that.

bhasse

Ok thank you. I am finding out about different features available in the different platform apps as I test it out, for instance on the Apple TV app i like that I can search for shows like I can on my windows computer.  However, the LG TV app does not appear to have a search function.  I am just trying to figure out what platform to use.

Senna

I have no experience with the LG TV webOS Emby app.

Depending of what content you have and are going to play with the Emby apps, you can see in the Dashboard of the server, which app suites you best. Look in the server dashboard when playing content, if the Emby server is direct playing/streaming or transcoding your content, for the connected Emby app. If content is transcoding, you will notice a delay, before the content starts to play on your screen.

With direct play/stream, there are no delays when starting content. Emby Theater (not the windows store version) can direct play most content, while the Emby Apple TV app, mostly transcodes content.

Edited by Senna

Ok another question. Does the Apple TV app not allow you to record a show in progress? On my LG TV app and my IPhone app I have the option to record a show in progress. However, on the Apple TV app I do not see or can’t figure out how to record a show in progress.

Hi.  This app uses the built-in Apple TV player so the interface you see during playback is a part of the device and doesn't understand the concept of live TV or recording.

We are looking into possibilities for using other playback engines on the Apple TV but this platform is generally the most restrictive of them all.

Thanks.