Emby Direct Play to Browsers

tankerkiller125
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

tankerkiller125

I've noticed that in both the latest Chrome, Firefox and Edge browsers that Emby performs a transcoding process instead of direct play to these browsers. These browsers have supported VP9 for some time now and in fact websites like YouTube have been sending direct VP9 streams to users for well over a year now. I would like to know if this is something that we can get fixed? I have found VP9 to be far superior when it comes to 4K content than H264 and it doesn't make sense to transcode VP9 for browsers when the browsers already support VP9

Edited by tankerkiller125

tankerkiller125

Hi there, can we please look at an example? please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

There are no logs for this issue as its not a playback error for say, but it is causing the CPU on the server to work way harder than it should be.

These are some images of what I'm talking about and the options I get:

5aaf27109176f_Screenshotfrom2018031822525aaf271ec0a0e_Screenshotfrom2018031822545aaf2738816d1_Screenshotfrom201803182255

As you can see their is no option to direct play. As a node of what browsers support VP9 and the version of that browser you can look at https://caniuse.com/#search=vp9 anything in solid regular green supports both VP8 and VP9 encoding. Both these codecs should be directly playable by the browsers. Currently as noted by the screenshots despite being in auto mode I can not get it to DirectPlay even when I'm plugged in to the same switch as the server (1Gbs Ethernet).

Another note is that I have tried both Chrome and Firefox, I have not tested Edge as I do not have a windows computer to test it from, or safari as I also don't have a Mac. I don't know if this a detection issue or if this something Emby will even want to support since it only works on some browsers.

Edited by tankerkiller125

• Solution

Ok, this one's due to opus which we weren't' looking for in a webm container. We'll add it for the next release, thanks.

• Like 1

I'm not accustom to the forum software here and I can't find the attachment button.

For future reference, please see the last section on "How to post log files".  Thanks.

How to Report a Problem

• 1 year later...
speelgoedauto2

Hi all!
@@tankerkiller125 is right.
Doesnt matter which video i play on my google chrome webbrowse, they all transcode the video.. causing my CPU to burn as hell.
Chromecast, Iphone, Tablet, everything is on 'direct play' except google chrome browse. 
How can i fix this? Or is this a well know problem?

Hi all!

@@tankerkiller125 is right.

Doesnt matter which video i play on my google chrome webbrowse, they all transcode the video.. causing my CPU to burn as hell.

Chromecast, Iphone, Tablet, everything is on 'direct play' except google chrome browse. 

How can i fix this? Or is this a well know problem?

Hi there, have you checked to see that your browser supports the media that you're playing? If it doesn't then transcoding will be needed. Please see how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

speelgoedauto2

When i play the media on my iPhone it is playing directly. But when i’m playing it on my Google Chrome v.73 (desktop) it is transcoding? I reallly dont understand

The file is a .mkv with .VOB subs burned in

When i play the media on my iPhone it is playing directly. But when i’m playing it on my Google Chrome v.73 (desktop) it is transcoding? I reallly dont understand

The file is a .mkv with .VOB subs burned in

Chrome supports the mkv container but does not support vob subtitles. Try turning off the subtitles. 

speelgoedauto2

Hi Luke!

When i turn off subtitles it says “video codec not supported” (and still doing transcode)

So i guess it was a mix of both subs and video?

Happy2Play

Chrome on my machine does not support h265.

What does html5test.com say for yours?

speelgoedauto2

Just turned off my pc, gonna look at it tomorrow, quick peek on my iPhone tells me that my iPhone XS does support H.265.

But the original media info on the web browse streams says it is HEVC main 10. Is that the same as H.265?

Happy2Play

HEVC is h265 (Main 10 is a profile set within that codec)

Chrome does not support hevc.

We have done all of the work already to ensure emby apps always direct play whenever possible. That will allow you to just press play and enjoy your media, and trust that we're playing it in the best way possible.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.