Chromecast (in Vizio M50) no longer Functioning

rpn314

rpn314

My chromecast does appear, however when I select it, the emby interface just spins for a bit (the multicolored spinning circles), and the device seems to respond, but then fails. I've been using it for about a year now without issues but it failed over the weekend. I used it on Saturday (March 10th) without any issues and it wouldn't work at all on Monday evening until now.

My chromecast is not what I would consider a typical chromecast device. It's a Vizio M50 smartTV, which actually has a chromecast built into it (ie not a dongle that just plugs into it). I have tried from the chrome browser on my MacBook Pro (web interface), an Android tablet (admittedly running an older version of android), an iPhone 6s and an iPhone 5s, all of which are using the newest released version of the app of their respective systems (Android and iOS). They all do the exact same thing. If the TV is powered off, starting chromecast will trigger the TV to power on (which is as it should, and is really nice), and normally it would then show an information screen that corresponds to what I'm looking at in the app, however the TV just shows a black screen. After about a minute the spinning circles stop on emby and the TV goes to the google wallpapers (a default when you don't give it anything to cast). I have power cycled the TV (completely unplugged it from power), the computer that emby server is running on (windows 10; full system reboot), the router (also full power removal), and all of the devices I've tried.

Other than that, emby does seem to be functioning, meaning that it will play in the browser or app on all of the devices listed, it just won't cast it. I think I'm in the correct place as it doesn't seem to be tied to any one device or app. I do not believe I changed any settings between Saturday and Monday in emby or on any of my devices.

My log files are attached, in which I replicated the issue at least twice. I did enable Debug Logging before I tried it the second time.

I think this is the correct location of the forum as it doesn't seem to be related to playback or the apps, just to the chromecast functionality itself. Feel free to move it or ask me to post if it's not :)

Edited by rpn314

pg1008

I can confirm, same issue happening with my TV which is a Vizio P75 and has Chromecast Ultra built into the tv. I also checked another TV of mine which has the regular Chromecast (connected via HDMI) and it seems to be working fine.

rpn314

I didn't think I forgot to attach it, however upon trying it again I appear to have chosen the file but failed to click the "Attach This File" button. Here it is again.

I just tried it a few minutes ago on another emby server that belongs to a friend of mine (I would have tried it earlier, but it was offline last night) and it worked, and so I tried mine again and it seems to be working as well. I definitely didn't change anything between last night and this morning so I'm at a loss.

server-63656652739.txt

I am also having this issue with a Vizio E55-E1 with Chromecast version 1.22.78594

@@jdfisher Actually in your case it looks like you're trying to play a file that doesn't exist:

file:\\2fockers-pc\RAID\Public\Movies\Star Wars- The Last Jedi (2017)\Star Wars- The Last Jedi.mp4: No such file or directory

did you move files around? try running a library scan, and also make sure your network share is up and accessible.

jdfisher

That makes me feel stupid... My external RAID controller drops out of windows sometimes and I should have checked that.  I do still have issues playing live TV to my chromecast though and that has been going on for several months.

I do still have issues playing live TV to my chromecast though and that has been going on for several months.

Let's look at an example of this then, thanks.

Reproduced it and refreshed my logs

What exactly did you reproduce? Can you please first describe the problem? thanks.

jdfisher

When attempting to cast live TV from my HDHR to the Chromecast it goes like it is going to play but just has a black screen.  In my reproduction I attempted to play Teen Titans from The Cartoon Network.  I do not have problems on roku, android, or browser.

Try setting the Chromecast quality setting to 10mbps from the casting app, and see if that helps, thanks.

jdfisher

Try setting the Chromecast quality setting to 10mbps from the casting app, and see if that helps, thanks.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this.  I tried setting it to 10 mbps and it didn't make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
jdfisher

Can you try lower, such as 3 Mbps?

Same thing, went as low as 480 kbps. Have been having a lot of playback issues on chromecast lately not just with live tv. Now everything else plays for a while than pauses while buffering intermittently. It will also take about 20 seconds for it to start playing in the first place. This has been for the last few weeks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ok I'm not quite sure about that. It's beginning to sound network related to me.

jdfisher

Ok I'm not quite sure about that. It's beginning to sound network related to me.

Everything is hard wired. I do not have any issues using the TVs built in Netflix or Amazon. They stream at 4k from the internet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk